building turbine time in experimental??

richeh123

I have a friend that just got his commercial certificate, he is looking into buying a mosquito xet (turbine) helicopter to build time instead of going the cfi route! he was asking me if that was excepted to future employers? i don't believe it is but...i really didn't know what to tell him....! opinions???

• Like 4

I have a friend that just got his commercial certificate, he is looking into buying a mosquito xet (turbine) helicopter to build time instead of going the cfi route! he was asking me if that was excepted to future employers? i don't believe it is but...i really didn't know what to tell him....! opinions???

There is a level of responsibility associated with being employed as a commercial helicopter pilot. This level of responsibility is recognized by employers. Utilizing your own experimental machine to build time does not translate equally or easily to that level of responsibility.

Tell your buddy, there are no shortcuts and he is ill-informed about the realities of this business….

• Like 1

I read a post once from a guy who did just that. Flew a turbine helicycle to 1000hrs then got a job flying tours (in the canyon I think?).

However if your not a cfi you're really going to have to dazzle them in the interview!

If so, this is a reason why people die in this business.

• Like 1

Experience is a lot more than just hours. Work ethic, paying attention to detail , people skills, learning regulations, adhering to company policy, are all part of the process. He needs all this in order to even be considered. Also I can not even imagine the bad habits a new pilot would acquire in a single place experimental without supervision or someone to steer him in the right direction.

Spike is right on...would I hire a 1000 hr CFI with probably zero turbine time, or would I hire a 1000 hr Commercial pilot who has only tooled around in an experimental turbine?? What do you think?

• Like 2

I agree with all of you....that's what I told him! he seems to be leaning towards the cfi and possibly getting a mosquito turbine......for fun and a some time! he is convinced as a cfi your basically just a passenger, but knows he needs the knowledge! thanks for the input!!

Just my 2 cents worth, but you are much more than just a passenger as a CFI, especially during the early stages of primary training with a new student. You are trying to keep someone that is new to a helicopter from rolling the machine and both of you into a ball of aluminum. If nothing else it definitely drives home the words "situational awareness" ;) On the other hand it can get very boring tooling around the pattern for hours on end. It's definitely not for everybody.

All else being equal between two graduate commercial pilots, the one with a CFI and 900 piston hours of instruction given is far more marketable than the other non-CFI with 900 hours of recreational flying in a home built turbine experimental. Most employers see any piston or turbine experimental as no more than another amateur aircraft.

Mosquito XET (single seat) 820 pound max gross homebuilt aircraft, also known as amateur-built aircraft or kit helicopter. Looks like your friend is seeking a professional career with an amateur and recreational background.

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at the suggestion that employers look favorably upon CFI time building. There are definitely both advantages and disadvantages to getting your experience instructing, but being so prevalent, I didn't think it'd get you any brownie points.

What else do you folks think would pique an employer's interested when they're looking at a thousand hour pilot?

High DA, X/C, Night probably doesn't hurt.

You do realize that Flight Instruction falls under the General Aviation category, right?

I've been under the impression that "general" was a seperate catagory from "commercial" (for those who do not fly for compensation/hire, or in the military? Never the less there seems to be a tendancy here to look down at those who do not fly either military or commercially!

All else being equal between two graduate commercial pilots, the one with a CFI and 900 piston hours of instruction given is far more marketable than the other non-CFI with 900 hours of recreational flying in a home built turbine experimental. Most employers see any piston or turbine experimental as no more than another amateur aircraft.

This scenario has come up before and I would love to see two pilots like these compete against each other in some sort of skills challenge! Perhaps an entry level tour interview/training program to see if non-cfi/recreational pilots are as bad as everyone says?

Maybe one day I'll call Papillon and pitch the idea as a "Reality TV Challenge" type show? Could be fun to watch!

I think.

I've been under the impression that "general" was a seperate catagory from "commercial" (for those who do not fly for compensation/hire, or in the military?

No.

Never the less there seems to be a tendancy here to look down at those who do not fly either military or commercially!

Probably because this is a (fairly) professional forum and many private owners are not professional pilots. There is nothing inherently wrong with that whatsoever (who wouldn't want to own their own aircraft??), but there is no question that private owners *tend* to have higher accident rates simply due to lack of continuing/advanced training.

• Like 1

I have heard about a guy a Friend of mines knows, that built Turbine time in his Turbine Helicycle,and is now flying a jet ranger for a Police department.

Edited by Dreamin of a Commuter 2B

IF thats is true....You really cant use being an LE pilot as an example. Routes into a pilot seat in LE aviation usually have no comparison to how things are done on the commercial world.

Besides..... "A guy a friend of mine knows" isnt exactly info I would base a career decision on.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

I am in the very early stages of considering the purchase of a Mosquito XET. If it was going to be the exclusive scope of my experience to offer to a commercial operator, I would be worried about my chances.

Since he has his commercial I'm assuming he has at least 150 hours in a 22 or 300? In my first response I was assuming that he wanted to time build in the mosquito all the way to 1000, but is he possibly thinking of just building another 350 hours to get into an R44 tour gig?

I don't follow the accident reports, so are you saying that there are a lot of accidents in the 1000+ hour commercial world caused by pilots who time-built there way in from private ownership?

good question! as a cfi to get to 1200 hours...how many hours of stick time does he actually have.....500- 600? maybe less? I have flown with cfi 1200 hour pilots and 1200 hour private pilots, and there is a difference in the skill level...usually better on the guy with the actual stick time....sure his knowledge of air space, general knowledge, ect , isn't great, but still very aware of whats going on! and sometimes lots of stick time dosnt mean anything.....some people get to a level and that's it.....we all have that friend that's had a drivers license for 30 years, and don't want to get into the car with him!! :D

Since he has his commercial I'm assuming he has at least 150 hours in a 22 or 300? In my first response I was assuming that he wanted to time build in the mosquito all the way to 1000, but is he possibly thinking of just building another 350 hours to get into an R44 tour gig?

he has 300-400 hrs. not a lot of cfi jobs at the moment and thought it would be good to build time for 40.00 hr instead of renting a 300 for 250 hr. I believe he is going to get his cfi and do both! it sounds like a good idea to me...the resale value on the mosquito seem to be good, he can get cheap time in, maybe he can get a part time cfi job?

I don't follow the accident reports, so are you saying that there are a lot of accidents in the 1000+ hour commercial world caused by pilots who time-built there way in from private ownership?

No… I’m saying employers sometimes hire the wrong people.

Fatal decisions can be a result of multiple circumstances. Some of these circumstances cannot be exposed during an accident investigation. In short, not every employed commercial pilot, regardless of where his time was gained, should be employed as a commercial pilot. If you’ve been in the business for a while, you know what I mean…….

IMO, for a tour operator to hire an “amateur” hour builder over the gazillion other pilots who gained their hours teaching is a bad decision….

Anyone who believes the CFI is just “a passenger” is misguided and has never worked as a CFI. The saying goes; “the CFI certificate is a license to learn”. This means something and if you don’t know what that is, then you should probably go get a job as a CFI and find out for yourself………

• Like 1