How long is where it gets weird?

WolftalonID

So I know the title is rather vauge. I recieved a call months back offerin me a corporate flying opportunity right out of school. However, the owner who called let me know it would be a month or two while they wrapped up transitioning from chartering the aircraft they needed to actually owning their own.

I am aware the red tape setting up anything via the FAA is a nightmare. The shutdown didnt help much either. However, I spent my money to fly, not sit or go back to my old career. I have a new career to pursue. No bridges were burned at the presentation of this job.

I have waited for weeks, had two further calls to check in, no defined date or estimate, just it will be soon. Further, the aircraft types are not even listed as recently aquired, pending, or even registered in the state per FAA website.

I have never used the FAA registry research before, so no telling how accurate it is.

How long before one considers the string along as weird and let it go? Is it normal in this industry to have a job offer not happen right away? Every job in my past, I started working within days or a few weeks at most.

Edited by WolftalonID

I had "job offers" in Belize, the Dominican Republic, Alaska, and Canada before landing a steady job for real. The DR people strung me along for 18 months (I think the paperwork is still pending). Alaska guy took 3mos to find out that he didn't get the contract he need to hire me. The Canadians never had any intent of giving me a job. And the Belize situation is too weird to even get into...the "operator" is now in a federal penitentiary. Good luck!

I had "job offers" in Belize, the Dominican Republic, Alaska, and Canada before landing a steady job for real. The DR people strung me along for 18 months (I think the paperwork is still pending). Alaska guy took 3mos to find out that he didn't get the contract he need to hire me. The Canadians never had any intent of giving me a job. And the Belize situation is too weird to even get into...the "operator" is now in a federal penitentiary. Good luck!

Ditto on this type of crap! Welcome to the oversaturated pilot market! :)

On the flip side, when a real offer does come through, you'd better be ready to roll immediately - this is what they'll expect. I got a phone call job offer from Papillon on a Friday afternoon, they wanted me in Vegas on Monday morning or no dice. This was coincidentally my first day of work with my present employer, whom I had just met earlier in the week. I politely declined the Pap job... I think the "stringing along" is much more common with smaller operators. Again, good luck with the gig. I hope it pans out for you!

Edited by 280fxColorado

What kind of helicopter owner is going to give his new machine to somebody fresh out of school and with no experience? If it is for a company, you could expect their management to have a policy on how much experience a pilot must have to obtain insurance cover.

I flew corporate for a seriously rich dude, and his "policy" was not to fly with anybody who had less than 10,000 hrs.

• Like 1

^^^ exactly what Eric said ^^^

My Belize "job offer" came from a job posting on this very website. I had less than 150 hrs and was a week away from my CFI check ride. The job was for an R44, which I had never even flown at that time. For whatever reasons (he said he liked my college education) the guy chose me out of a presumably massive stack of resumes. He DID pay for my plane ticket and accommodations in Belize for 2 weeks. In that time the fantasy slowly unravelled and it became clear that (1) this guy was a maniac and (2) there would be no helicopter job. Not to derail the thread but did anyone else deal with this guy? Google "David Peterson Belize" if interested. The guy was charming, intelligent, affable, and a legitimate psychopath. Should have listened to my dad... if it seems too good to be true, it IS! The trip knocked me out of the CFI pecking order at my flight school but was a memorable (all expenses paid) island adventure, to be sure...

^^^ exactly what Eric said ^^^

My Belize "job offer" came from a job posting on this very website. I had less than 150 hrs and was a week away from my CFI check ride. The job was for an R44, which I had never even flown at that time. For whatever reasons (he said he liked my college education) the guy chose me out of a presumably massive stack of resumes. He DID pay for my plane ticket and accommodations in Belize for 2 weeks. In that time the fantasy slowly unravelled and it became clear that (1) this guy was a maniac and (2) there would be no helicopter job. Not to derail the thread but did anyone else deal with this guy? Google "David Peterson Belize" if interested. The guy was charming, intelligent, affable, and a legitimate psychopath. Should have listened to my dad... if it seems too good to be true, it IS! The trip knocked me out of the CFI pecking order at my flight school but was a memorable (all expenses paid) island adventure, to be sure...

Now I'm glad I got no response! :D

I am a little intrigued at the interest in me from this guy with the hours I have. I dont even have the 500 for 135 consideration yet. However it is corporate flying which is part 91, not chartered flights. The other is there is multiple aircraft, or so its said, and most require two pilots, of which of course, I have no experience yet in turbines, or type rated catagory, and would require training, and fly SIC anyway.

Its not always what you know but who you know, and how you network. This is exactly how I got in this situation, but.....being they are going from chartering the aircraft they used to owning their own, and all the hurdles to start their own aviation dept.........it may be a while. I would rather be working than waiting on Santa though....oh wait...he is real isnt he? Lol.

If it does pan out as real...I will of course fill in the report. Its encouraging to hear those types of stories when they do happen. If it does, I pray my PIC has patience and is willing to have a young padewon on board and maybe even lets me touch some of the buttons!

"Hmmm whats this one do?" Says the padewon as he reaches for the large shiney button!

If its a crazy....well then that story will be even more fun to read. I will of course embellish the details, and glorify the horror so everyone spits coffee out their nose as they read it.

Until then....I will go back to what I was gloriously trained to do! Hurry up and wait!

Aviation attracts more than it's fair share of weirdos. Mostly from the ranks of aircraft owners or those ostensibly offering jobs.

Back when I was flying as a civilian, with just a few hundred hours, I was "lucky" enough to run into a guy in need of a pilot. We met for lunch, went to the hangar, he showed me the aircraft, the maintenance area, around the shop, everything. As a young pilot I agreed to pay for the couple of hours (less than 5) to get me up in this aircraft I hadn't flown before. Anyway, after a couple of hours we set up a time for me to come back and knock out some paperwork.

So I returned literally 2 days later. He said, "What was your name?" No problem, people forget. Then it became suddenly obvious that he had no idea who I was. If he was faking, it was a good show. He truly had no idea who I was, didn't remember meeting for lunch, and certainly never showed me the aircraft or told me to come back to fill out employment paperwork.

Maybe I'm not that memorable but 2 or 3 hours of someone's life disappearing in the same week was just weird. Anyway, probably a good thing that one didn't pan out. I've met more than a couple of kooks in this industry. I would wholeheartedly second the notion that you are not guaranteed a job until the paycheck clears.

I am a little intrigued at the interest in me from this guy with the hours I have. I dont even have the 500 for 135 consideration yet. However it is corporate flying which is part 91, not chartered flights. The other is there is multiple aircraft, or so its said, and most require two pilots, of which of course, I have no experience yet in turbines, or type rated catagory, and would require training, and fly SIC anyway.

Its not always what you know but who you know, and how you network. This is exactly how I got in this situation, but.....being they are going from chartering the aircraft they used to owning their own, and all the hurdles to start their own aviation dept.........it may be a while. I would rather be working than waiting on Santa though....oh wait...he is real isnt he? Lol.

If it does pan out as real...I will of course fill in the report. Its encouraging to hear those types of stories when they do happen. If it does, I pray my PIC has patience and is willing to have a young padewon on board and maybe even lets me touch some of the buttons!

"Hmmm whats this one do?" Says the padewon as he reaches for the large shiney button!

If its a crazy....well then that story will be even more fun to read. I will of course embellish the details, and glorify the horror so everyone spits coffee out their nose as they read it.

Until then....I will go back to what I was gloriously trained to do! Hurry up and wait!

Just how many hours do you have and what helicopters do they use?

• 4 weeks later...

I also find it strange that a guy would hire for a corporate position wit a pilot straight out of school. There are some sketchy operators out there, be careful. Don't ever worry about saying "No" either.

So did you start?

Edited by Trans Lift

Yeah no fires were lit. However there will be one from my wife if I don't get crackin on my CFI career.. :) no bums allowed here!

Well no...actually I didn't start. They rescheduled......then today rescheduled again......

Thus time without a date. Over the last few weeks the information has been extremely secretive, elusive, and not consistant. It has taken me away momentarily from my previous focus, but not too far.

I am letting this one go, focusing on what path a real fledgling CFI should focus on and chalking this up as an interesting story I may someday laugh about. Although its not funny now.

I take my investment into my career seriously, as in I put my money where my mouth is. They dont seem to consider it as serious as I do. It irritates me to no end being a strung along for someones entertainment.

This predicament is not uncommon and it won’t be your last time either……. For whatever reason, we helicopter pilots are suckers when it comes to a career shortcut, even when we’ve been told a thousand times, there are no shortcuts. Rest assured, I’ve been there as I have eagerly listened to someone else’s helicopter grand idea and rationalized it as a legit “business plan” all-the-while being completely blinded by the delusion of grandeur, only to be left standing out in the cold. This story has been told time-and-time again. Sadly, for someone who is unemployed, the lure is even more enticing…..

If you are in fact an unemployed CFI, your sole purpose in life should be getting an instructor job……. If Fantasy Island calls offering you a leading man pilot gig, then great. However, if you prefer not to be 10 years in the business with 500 hours of total time, then you know what needs to happen…….

Well the good news is.......waiting this long to wrap up my CFII....our instrument trainers are being fitted with the G500H cockpits. So I get some new experience with glass panel flying. Thats exciting.

I spent some time in the simulator download for it, and its very different. Going to take time to get used to it for sure.