Looking for work and advice

skihard

Ive been using this forum for years, not posting but searching for the information I've needed. And it has been very helpful.

That being said I am a CFII with 320hrs heli 100hrs dual given and 510 TT

I also have a CDL with a hazmat tanker endorsement.

Ive been calling and sending resumes with no results, usally cant get past the receptionist.

Im willing to relocate, work as a fueler, fly SIC, fly tours (I have 100hrs R44) , be an intern, move out of the country, hell I'll clean toilets, dont care just want to get flying again.

I have good references at all my past employers, I just need someone to give me a chance.

I know its not the right time of year to looking as well. But I'm thinking about going on a road trip visiting every flight school, and commercial opperator I can find with in a couple states radius handing out resumes and shaking hands.

I'm also thinking of going WOFT, planning to talk with a recuriter next week.

Any guidance, advice, or leads would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 6

Thanks for the info on find a pilot.com i hadnt heard of that one.

I went to helisuccess last year, couldnt afford it this year. Besides that is mostly geared toward the guys with close to 1000hrs, with companies like ERA, Bristow, and Papillon. Wasnt CO Heli ops the only flight school there this year? I talked with Dennis a couple weeks ago and he isnt looking untill spring.

This time of year you could see who does heli-ski, as well as powerline work. There might be an opening for ground crew in those operations. Most other operations probably wouldn't be looking for ground support till spring when fire season comes around BUT it never hurts to stop in and say hello early.

Going through it this way is possible, but it will be a lot of work. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good Luck!

This time of year you could see who does heli-ski, as well as powerline work. There might be an opening for ground crew in those operations. Most other operations probably wouldn't be looking for ground support till spring when fire season comes around BUT it never hurts to stop in and say hello early.

Going through it this way is possible, but it will be a lot of work. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good Luck!

By "ground crew" for powerline ops, you don't mean the guy who sits on the skids do you?

I dont know that I would be jumping in line to drive a fuel truck if your intent is to come on as a powerline pilot If you are looking for a job, sure, may as well, if you are looking to be a pilot maybe not. There are others here could definitely expand on that.

Here is a funny story.... I like funny stories...

I spoke to a guy a couple fire seasons ago in Fresno who was driving a fuel truck following a 205 around for fire. He said he got in thinking he would get cross country stick time and be brought in under the mentorship of the pilot. Dude was a new CFI.

He kept saying "I dont know why these guys wont invest anything into me. Im dedicated, Im willing to sign a 10 year contract if they train me, I would stay here for my career if they would give me a chance. If these guys dont start working with me Im going to move on."

So I asked the glaring question.... "They hired you to drive the fuel truck. How did you think that implied you would be IN the helicopter as it traveled? Who would drive the truck?" And here it came...... "well, the mechanics can drive it too so I dont see why I cant fly in the helicopter and one of them can't drive the truck. The mechanics all pile into the back of the helicopter and sleep and I get stuck driving the truck. Those guys arent even pilots." We bantered back and forth about LE flying, how that all works, etc etc etc. He kept expanding on how he could really help out the company if they would just start training him up...he could be a relief pilot if the main pilot didnt feel like flying that day yada yada blah blah....

I responded... "Yeah, well it can be tough being unskilled labor. Hey, I gotta go man, good luck."

So, long story short, this guy took a manual labor support job somehow thinking that implied "Paid Huey Intern Pilot needed. Will Train." So because he added a whole list of things to the job description, hes talking about punching out on these guys in the middle of the fire season while they are on the road.

Hey.... if that guy is here on VR, how did that all pan out? :D Sorry I never called you back about going out on a patrol flight while you were in town! :P

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

Definitely cant hurt to ask. At least you know where they stand, and they know your goals. As long as you go into the job with both sides knowing the deal you never know what may happen. In this guys case, a 200hr CFI thinking hes going to get brought up by a company flying Hueys on USFS contracts? Probably a tad unrealistic. But to think he may come back in a few years and say "Hey... remember me? Well, now I have 2000hrs"

Ive been using this forum for years, not posting but searching for the information I've needed. And it has been very helpful.

That being said I am a CFII with 320hrs heli 100hrs dual given and 510 TT

I also have a CDL with a hazmat tanker endorsement.

Ive been calling and sending resumes with no results, usally cant get past the receptionist.

Im willing to relocate, work as a fueler, fly SIC, fly tours (I have 100hrs R44) , be an intern, move out of the country, hell I'll clean toilets, dont care just want to get flying again.

I have good references at all my past employers, I just need someone to give me a chance.

I know its not the right time of year to looking as well. But I'm thinking about going on a road trip visiting every flight school, and commercial opperator I can find with in a couple states radius handing out resumes and shaking hands.

I'm also thinking of going WOFT, planning to talk with a recuriter next week.

Any guidance, advice, or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Put all of your effort in finding a job as an instructor. If along the way you come across some manual labor gig that “may” allow some seat time, sure, get on it. However, even if hired, you shouldn’t stop looking for a CFI gig. In other words, finding a CFI job should be your goal, not just whatever job happens to land in your lap….

If this seems unattainable for you, keep your appointment with the recruiter...

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Put all of your effort in finding a job as an instructor. If along the way you come across some manual labor gig that may allow some seat time, sure, get on it. However, even if hired, you shouldnt stop looking for a CFI gig. In other words, finding a CFI job should be your goal, not just whatever job happens to land in your lap.

If this seems unattainable for you, keep your appointment with the recruiter...

Very good advice!!

I have a little story also. The company I'm working for has hired 2 guys in pretty much your same shoes. The last guy was driving my fuel truck the last part of my fire contract this summer. I was with him for 5 days before he said anything about being a pilot. I found out he had 700 hours total, R22/R44 and 300 time. I asked why he wasn't flying? His response blew me away. He said he didn't like being a CFI, wanted to get into utility. He figured if he drove truck for awhile and got some stick time he could build enough hours to get a flying spot. I almost laughed out loud. I told him that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard to quit a full time CFI job with 700 hours to drive fuel truck.

I talked to the DO and VP and they said they didn't even know he was a pilot! So not only did he quit a flying job he didn't even tell anybody he was a pilot. I do like the guy works hard, really good attitude and never complains but can't believe he did something so stupid. At the end of the season I talked to the CP and asked if he could fly the ship home with me. Got the green light had the mech throw the duals in and off we went. He got 7 hours of dual given in a turbine but prob won't get anymore till next fire season if he's lucky. I think I lit a fire in his butt. But he's gonna have a really hard time finding a job given his hours. I would do exactly like spike said...

Thanks turbotay, flying pig, and Spike. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Im headed out on my road trip tomorrow, I'm pumped, hopefully I'll something will work out. Please keep the posts coming.

Let us know how the road trip goes and follow up on this post when you get the job- pass on what worked. Best of luck.

Is it really that hard to find a CFI job now a days right out of flight school?! I mean understand its not the best of times. I feel like if your persistent enough and work hard youll find something eventually.

How long did you guys search before you find a job instructing out of school?

It's a tough career to get into if you don't like teaching. I've seen far too many bad instructors who don't like what they're doing and using students for flight time. It's a pet peeve of mine, because like a lot of you, I was told all the same stories and lies to get me into the school and 100,000 in debt and then got stuck with an instructor who didn't put forth any of the necessary effort to see me succeed. I was green and it wasn't until I had my check ride doing autos that I realized how much my instructor had been on the controls with me, honing his skills so he could jump ship and go on to greener pastures while leaving his students high and dry with a minimal education.

I still see this, instructors who hate instructing, flight schools turning a blind eye because they already have the students in the seats and are happy to under-educate in order to make extra money off of their students. Too many bad schools and bad instructors setting up pilots to fail and die in order to line their own pockets and logbooks.

Sorry to rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like teaching, then for the sake of another person's life: DON'T!.

• Like 2

It's a tough career to get into if you don't like teaching. I've seen far too many bad instructors who don't like what they're doing and using students for flight time. It's a pet peeve of mine, because like a lot of you, I was told all the same stories and lies to get me into the school and 100,000 in debt and then got stuck with an instructor who didn't put forth any of the necessary effort to see me succeed. I was green and it wasn't until I had my check ride doing autos that I realized how much my instructor had been on the controls with me, honing his skills so he could jump ship and go on to greener pastures while leaving his students high and dry with a minimal education.

I still see this, instructors who hate instructing, flight schools turning a blind eye because they already have the students in the seats and are happy to under-educate in order to make extra money off of their students. Too many bad schools and bad instructors setting up pilots to fail and die in order to line their own pockets and logbooks.

Sorry to rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like teaching, then for the sake of another person's life: DON'T!.

This is where the student needs to take responsibility for his or her own training and either speak up, or move on to another school. It’s a simple concept. That is, the student is the customer, -period. If you don’t like the service, then do something about it…..

Bad schools and bad instructors is not the place you want to invest in your future. After that, you only have yourself to blame…..

Lastly, the instructors who don’t like to teach probably won’t last in the business. If they do, they’ll hate it just as much as teaching…..

• Like 1

As a pilot I have had to also teach in almost every flying job I have had. I have done EMS, tours, fire, utility and many others. If you don't like teaching you should rethink your attitude, in order for you to move up anywhere someone will have to teach you. If feel it is my duty to help the people moving up in the industry, because I wouldn't be where I am if no body was willing to teach me! Good luck in the CFI job hunt, it is the way to go if you want to move up fast. The other routes tend to be very slow and painful. :)

Edited by THE_COYOTE
  • Like 1