25 replies to this topic

#21 he_monkey

he_monkey

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 14:57

It's a tough career to get into if you don't like teaching. I've seen far too many bad instructors who don't like what they're doing and using students for flight time. It's a pet peeve of mine, because like a lot of you, I was told all the same stories and lies to get me into the school and 100,000 in debt and then got stuck with an instructor who didn't put forth any of the necessary effort to see me succeed. I was green and it wasn't until I had my check ride doing autos that I realized how much my instructor had been on the controls with me, honing his skills so he could jump ship and go on to greener pastures while leaving his students high and dry with a minimal education.

I still see this, instructors who hate instructing, flight schools turning a blind eye because they already have the students in the seats and are happy to under-educate in order to make extra money off of their students. Too many bad schools and bad instructors setting up pilots to fail and die in order to line their own pockets and logbooks.

Sorry to rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like teaching, then for the sake of another person's life: DON'T!.  

• rotornut67 and oh58mech like this

#22 Cheeto9

Cheeto9

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Skiing, Boating, anything that goes fast..
  • Company working for:Seaching...

Posted 10 November 2013 - 15:54

I'd enjoying teaching thats why i ask. I would like to get a CFI job. 

#23 helipilotm

helipilotm

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 19:50

How long did you guys search before you find a job instructing out of school?

I knew I had a job before. I filled out paperwork and flew with my first student the next day after my check ride.

#24 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 00:36

It's a tough career to get into if you don't like teaching. I've seen far too many bad instructors who don't like what they're doing and using students for flight time. It's a pet peeve of mine, because like a lot of you, I was told all the same stories and lies to get me into the school and 100,000 in debt and then got stuck with an instructor who didn't put forth any of the necessary effort to see me succeed. I was green and it wasn't until I had my check ride doing autos that I realized how much my instructor had been on the controls with me, honing his skills so he could jump ship and go on to greener pastures while leaving his students high and dry with a minimal education.

I still see this, instructors who hate instructing, flight schools turning a blind eye because they already have the students in the seats and are happy to under-educate in order to make extra money off of their students. Too many bad schools and bad instructors setting up pilots to fail and die in order to line their own pockets and logbooks.

Sorry to rant but it's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like teaching, then for the sake of another person's life: DON'T!.  

This is where the student needs to take responsibility for his or her own training and either speak up, or move on to another school.  It’s a simple concept.  That is, the student is the customer, -period. If you don’t like the service, then do something about it…..

Bad schools and bad instructors is not the place you want to invest in your future.  After that, you only have yourself to blame…..

Lastly, the instructors who don’t like to teach probably won’t last in the business. If they do, they’ll hate it just as much as teaching…..

• Mikemv likes this

#25 THE_COYOTE

THE_COYOTE

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Company working for:Utility Baby!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 14:28

As a pilot I have had to also teach in almost every flying job I have had.  I have done EMS, tours, fire, utility and many others.  If you don't like teaching you should rethink your attitude, in order for you to move up anywhere someone will have to teach you.  If feel it is my duty to help the people moving up in the industry, because I wouldn't be where I am if no body was willing to teach me! Good luck in the CFI job hunt, it is the way to go if you want to move up fast.  The other routes tend to be very slow and painful.  :)

Edited by THE_COYOTE, 11 November 2013 - 14:32.

• rubidug likes this
Where the bold will dare, a helicopter will be there!

#26 pilot#476398

pilot#476398

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 14:54

I don't mind showing someone how to do a maneuver, or explaining a concept.  Its taking someone with 0 hours and being resposible for making sure they won't kill themselves on their first solo flight (or two days after their private checkride)!  I don't want that kind of pressure, and I couldn't live with myself if it happened.  THAT'S why I'm not a CFI!  Not because I hate teaching!

If I could just be the part-time guy who fills in every so often, or just teach those who already have their private, then sure I'd do it,...but who wants to hire a CFI with limitations, when there are so many others out there willing to do anything?

Show me a school that's willing to hire an instructor who's not going to endorse anyone for solo flight, or to take their private checkride, and I'll get my CFI with them tomarrow!

Edited by pilot#476398, 11 November 2013 - 15:08.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CFII, jobs, low time, R44, R22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FreeFlight_General200BLR Gen 200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralLakeSuperiorGeneral200Spectrum_VRGeneral468MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200Guidance General 200