VOLO_VRGeneral468Helicopter AcademyTigerTugsVRForumGen468UpperLimit2011General_468x60
Photo
- - - - -

COLLEGE DEGREE'S - Valuable for helicopter pilots?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 aeroscout

aeroscout

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, skydiving, Speaking, Writing, Reading.
  • Company working for:Caruso

Posted 22 September 2014 - 21:45

There's no place like home -Dorothy Gale- (As told by L. Frank Baum)

#42 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")
    For my aviation scribbles see www.chopperstories.com.... enjoy!

Posted 22 September 2014 - 22:14

I go to the library.

It's where the local writers group meets.

@ avbug

what on earth did the local writers do to deserve that...?

:blink:

"Flying is a Privilege, and not a Right"

fa9f27a0-98d0-48ed-9687-6953eb7f9fca_zps

#43 Airhead

Airhead

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, motorcycles, and jet engines
  • Company working for:Tours

Posted 24 September 2014 - 15:35

On the rare occasion that I get a call back from a resume I have sent out they usually ask what my plans are with my B.S. degree that I am working on.

"Are you looking to go into management?" is the usual question.

#44 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:51

By enrolling in our schools college program you will qualify for the funding nessessary to pay for flight training and thus keep our cfis flying so they can eventually build enough time to finally get a "semi liveable" wage job. So please go to college!

#45 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:30

I still haven't heard a company ask me if a pilot had a college degree.  How many hours is what I hear.  "Can he fly" is what i hear.    Recruiters and speakers at seminars will ask about college degrees and promote them when they don't have one themselves   I have the same degree as Frank Robinson, my wife has a Master's degree in Business (MBA) and my chief pilot has a Doctorate also known as a PhD.  The last 100 people that have been hired haven't even been asked that question.  The chief pilot was hired ten years ago because he reported he weighed 130 pounds and he was a flight instructor for 40 years (I figured he knew more than me as I only started in 1986).    I have formerly been  involved in college flight programs but the money goes to the college and this dilutes the payment of your money for the hours that you need to the overhead of the college and not your logbook.   At every seminar there is a college employee, student or person writing a college paper telling you that the college stuff gives you what it takes to get the job that requires thousands without those thousands of hours.  The people doing the hiring completely disagree.  You need the hours.  Not a degree.  If you think I am wrong be the named sponsor of HAI job fairs etc.like I have and talk to the college proponents  and then  talk to those doing the hiring like I have with my access.  You need hours.  Same as it was in 1986 when I started flying.   

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#46 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:55

what on earth did the local writers do to deserve that...?

Nothing.  They were blessed.

#47 ospreydriver

ospreydriver

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Flying, writing, reading, weightlifting, running

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:05

There's always the fact that the aviation business is fickle. Having a degree makes for better back-up options.

"Why can't we buy just one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it?"--President Calvin Coolidge

#48 kjackson81

kjackson81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:16

In my opinion, I think that good training and networking will get you the results you need. The reason why 4-year degrees work is you get to know so many people and start a good, solid network.  I took a training course from FlyHAA and got to know some good people that lead me to a great job. (http://www.flyhaa.co...raining_courses)

It's what you know but also who you know. My training gave me the skills needed, my connections got me a great job.

#49 BCBOATER

BCBOATER

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Boats. Fishing. Flying. Motorbikes.
  • Company working for:I own it...don't work for anyone.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 18:51

Here is my perspective from an employers point of view.
Your degree will not impress me at all...with the possible exception of speaking several languages. Why? Simple, you can be an asset talking to people who speak little or no English that come wanting to go sight seeing etc.
Otherwise get a degree in something you can fall back on if your career as a pilot never takes off.

#50 ARM_Coder

ARM_Coder

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:22

I knew pilots both with and without a degree, and IMO they fly about the same.

Well, in my case, the EE degree kept me away from flying for 25 years.

#51 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:25

I have a degree.  Never asked a pilot if he has a degree.  First thing I ask them is how many hours and what ratings they have.   I jump in a cab or an Uber and I ask them where they are from and how long have they worked.  If the pilot or driver has a degree he will usually tell you that.  

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#52 Rich1

Rich1

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:02

I can only relate the story of a very young married couple who approached me in the days following our local "aviation day" event. I could tell that the young lady specifically was jazzed with the idea of becoming a helicopter pilot. She was specifically interested whether she should continue on to complete her college degree in education or business, or if she should simply borrow money to complete her fixed wing and helicopter ratings in hopes of securing a paid position as a helicopter pilot.

I shared that having had both a professional career with college degree(s) as well as having had my own businesses, that if ultimately she wanted to be both a pilot as well as eventually own her own aircraft she would be smart to complete her college degree.

Once she understood that in aviation, especially if you want to be an owner, is about having discretionary cash available, and when she understood that even having become a helicopter pilot professionally, it would only take one health event to potentially cost her the medical certificate and career, having a back up plan for a back up profession, vocational or professional, is a very smart idea.

Just my thin nickel...for what little it still buys you downtown

Edited by Rich1, 05 June 2016 - 10:06.

• r22butters and Fred0311 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Helmet FX General 200MidwestHeliAcademy2016ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200DevoreGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralPrecisionVRForumGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200HeliHelmetsMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200