First training / First job, Career outlook?

Disterric

Hello! first post on this forum hoping to find people who are in a similar position as me, or have experience in this field and are involved with the careers.

I'll try to keep it short, I am trying to get a realistic perception laid out in front of me before I start investing resources into training.

I'm 21 and my idealistic goal is to get through the lows of what it takes to chose flying as a career, at first glance it looks like a very promising and straight forward road to get qualification and the actual job.

However I know that its probably really unlikely, despite what some resources say.

I feel like the outlook for this career is actually not very good for how much of an effort it takes to get to the point where it is possible to start making good wages consistently.

I can make it through low hours with limited pay for quite a while, but what does it take to get the career rolling and start making a nice living? is it worth it? I have a feeling a very small margin of pilots ever get to this point, and those that do probably want to keep their job.

Is it a struggle to find work even with the required hours/qualifications? or is it less unforgiving? I would like to make a firm decision based off multiple sources before I start dedicating myself to making things happen.

Would love to know what you think! and thanks more than a lot.

Hi Disterric,

Page through the Helicopter Career Forum and the General Helicopter Forum and see if you can find the answers to your questions. Read any thread which title reflects a question such as yours. After that, if you have additional questions please come back and ask and I will do my best to answer them…….

This is a good career choice IF....

You have the money to afford the training without taking a loan.

Weather that means you have some money from another job or a trust fund or willing parents to help you you will enjoy a reasonable career that will leave you close to broke after 30 years but you will enjoy a lot of it!

Yes, this is a very straightforward career. It takes preparation, perspiration, perseverance and being in the right place at the right time with the right stuff. Call that chance if you like, but the more often you can make that happen the more "luck" you'll have. Winners never quit and quitters never win.

What is a 'good wage'? Visit this page: http://www.helicoptersalaries.com/ and if the numbers work, that's representative of the industry.

I haven't been out of work involuntarily in my life.

I still look forward to the job, although sometimes I wish I hadn't lifted or didn't have to go, been so since 1968.

I just finished school and right out of the gates have been given an offer. Sometimes it happens fast...sometimes it takes steps. However it is for any pilot, or dreamer...it first has to be a passion.

Not a that is cool passion, buta. Dream about it! Taste it! Chase it! Live it! Passion......and if your married your spouse needs to want it too.

Once that has been recognized....then pursue it as a career. Otherwise....find your dream and pursue that.

Its not about the money, its about loving what you do, and if you love it it will show. Good luck in your dream chase.

I heard a quote once….

Money doesn't buy happiness. It buys the type of misery your prefer. :D

Money won't make you happy, but lack of it will make you unhappy.

Former Heavyweight boxing champion Joe Louis used to say, the more money I have, the calmer my nerves are.

Not sure if this will help you in your career choice but I'm a 19,000 hour pilot (Military/Civilian/RW and FW) and I can't find a flying job. You may want to invest in another career. I'm not trying to discourage you but quite often in this industry only former buddies get hired.

There has to be more to your story?

If a person has 19,000 hours and can't find a job there IS more to the story, period. Did something bad, lost medical, you name it, but at 19,000 hours you get to choose which flying job you want.

If you are holding out for the job that sends a limo to pick you up at your front door and has your aircraft at flight idle waiting for you to climb in, I consider that more to the story. Other than that, you don't want a job or you are a troll.

• 5 months later...

I heard a quote once.

Money doesn't buy happiness. It buys the type of misery your prefer. :D

I use that one frequently. There's another one that I think is applicable. "If you do what you love for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I'm getting out of the Army soon and want to become a helicopter pilot. Assuming I complete all my certs through CFI-I and whatever add-ons the Post 9/11 GI Bill pays for what are my chances of landing an instructor job right out of school? A rough resume follows:

I'm a Green Beret

BA - History - University of Florida

TS/SCI Clearance

I taught English in China

Additionally, Does anyone recommend or not recommend Hillsboro Aero in Portland, OR?

No offense to this forum, but, I'm really glad I didn't know a thing about it when I was starting my career. There is so much negativity. At 21 you (the OP) should be nothing but positive and optimistic.

To the gentlemen with 19,000 hours; if you really have that much time then you should have a lifetime of friends in high places in the industry. Never the less, good luck out there!

Logo11- There are many schools that train Chinese students here in the U.S. Even though speaking english is a requirement they somehow manage to get signed off and come to train with very poor language skills. It is a job that most instructors would have a hard time doing because of this language barrier. I think you would have a big advantage in getting one of these cfi jobs.

All I can tell you is to not go into any sort of debt to become a pilot- loans have to be paid back! And since the Silver State Helicopters business a few years back, made the idea of borrowing money for this even more dubious! Its a very small industry and right now its not good on the employment side- usually this time of year things start spooling up for the Season, a lot of the helicopter work is seasonal, and its not happening, the weather i.e. winter been a hard one, so maybe that the reason! Don't let anybody fool you jobs even in good economies are tough to find and get do to the fact that there are a lot of guys in the market place for those jobs- no pilot shortage, I been hearing that one for over 40 years now! And another thing, when somebody tells you that money dose not matter or you tell me money dose not matter with regard to flying or any other sort of work, I know bs when I hear it! Money dose matter, not only to you as a pilot for your own well being and self interest but also to every single business that ever was, with out a profit at the end of the day, there is going to be no flying and no flying means you don't need pilots if you get my drift! Then there is the fact of life, time goes by quickly, I was 20 once and fresh out of flight school, I am 60 now and wondering were the time when and more important, how am I going to absorb the serious hits to my retirement over the last 15 years? Yea money matters, and in this industry it dose not pay much considering the time and effort one puts into it, that is just the fact of life, why do you think there are so many guys in their 60 are still working and will be still working for at least another decade, if the economy dose not decline any further? Now here is some advise for you- make a note of every 200 hour pilot job that comes to your attention, now and while you are in flight school, my guess you already made up your mind before you even posted here, that ok, most do anyway- pilots are wired different! This way you will have a starting point to start your search- remember every 200 hour pilot job open now, not a whole lot of them even in good times, will be open again in 18 to 36 months down the line when those guys move on ! You are going to need a really reliable car, because you are going to be on the road a bit! Other than that good luck, and plan well and keep your eyes and ears open and in about 40 years you do will be giving the same sort of advise to some 20 year old in 2055! I will be 100 then and maybe retried for a year or two by then!!!!

• 2 weeks later...