Bladder Busting

HEMS pilots, do you wait until a callout to run to the bathroom ?

Or do you try to limit your output by hydrating less on shift ?

What technique do you use to manage the call of nature, and the callout ?

Generally only a consideration first half of day shifts, I like my coffee... After that, I know I'm going to shutdown at the receiving or at the fuel stop while the patient is in-processed.

The worst possible scenario I can imagine might be shut down with delayed packaging at some scene call with absolutely zero options (ideas anyone?). Otherwise, even the aircraft can only go so long without a pit stop and there are generally facilities anywhere you're headed.

Honestly, I had this issue more often while flying canyon tours. The schedule is back to back and dawn to dusk, turnaround time is nearly nil, and you're drinking gallons of water a day to survive the heat. There are no facilities at the bottom of the canyon and the Hualapai people consider the land sacred.

e.

Does anyone ever use a piddle-pack or the poor man's version (the Gatorade bottle), or is that verboten in the civilian world?

I've only had to resort to that a couple times in many years of military flying, but when I've needed to, I've really needed to. I imagine in the single-pilot world, it might come up more often, since one can't just excuse oneself for a break while turning.

Does anyone ever use a piddle-pack or the poor man's version (the Gatorade bottle), or is that verboten in the civilian world?

I've only had to resort to that a couple times in many years of military flying, but when I've needed to, I've really needed to. I imagine in the single-pilot world, it might come up more often, since one can't just excuse oneself for a break while turning.

When I flew surveillance I used a Tide detergent bottle. But I didn't have paying passengers :) Once I had a female camera operator and had to do an emergency decent from 11K with her begging me not to bounce it on the landing.(airplane)

I'd say this thread has just about reached its useful life. :)

We may be able to shake a few more drip posts out of it.

Oh ye of little faith in threads like "fudging the logbook" !

By the way, your reply officially made this thread...HOT !

In an emergency, the "rubber" gloves the med crew use will work. Not sure how well for a female, but one or two can hold enough to get you to a better location. They take up almost no space, and are actually pretty strong. Never considered a diaper, and I hope I don't need to start using them before retirement. That's desperation, IMO.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

• 1 month later...

That glove thing sounds like a urine bomb waiting to happen. I could definitely see someone dropping it on the cockpit floor, especially when tying it off, unless there's a pilot technique I'm not seeing here.

The piddle packs we get in the military are basically a dried (shrunken) sponge in a ziplock bag. The sponge takes away most of the spash/spill hazard. Still, emergency use only, IMHO.