The H2S thing is bogus, IMO. If they have H2S being released on the platform, I ain't landing, or even flying close to it. I've been through a number of H2S classes, and had breathing apparatus installed under the seats of the aircraft so we could theoretically land and pick up the critters, but I told them then, and I'll tell them forever, I ain't landing or flying close. The real danger of H2S when landing on a platform is that the engines can ingest it, and then you're in a real bind. But the oil companies want to go through the drill, so we went through the drill. But it's just eyewash, done entirely for show and for the lawyers. I simply would never land, and I never knew of anyone else who would either. It's stupid to even consider it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I almost forgot about the H2S. I had to do annual training, including mask fitting for it. I had a SCBA in the helicopter. It was required by the customer, not PHI.

Were you one of the boys in blue at phi? I flew one of their L4's that had the SCBA in it, they took it out after the overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll weigh in. I spent 29 years in the military and one of the first things SWMBO told me I just do is grow out my goatee. I liked it and how it looked; she liked it even better. I spent the first 4 years after the Army working as a contractor where facial hair was not forbidden but was definitely discourage, but it never cost me a thing on my annual evaluation reports. Then that job went away.

I looked for work. I looked for good companies to work for. I wanted a professional organization who trained and maintained their aircrews and maintenance. I wanted work that allowed me to remain in the same house as SWMBO and the kids. I wanted compensation that was fair for my experience and my expertise with good benefits and chance of advancement. Facial hair was and is way down on the list of my priorities. I shaved and went on interviews; because the job was more important than any rebelliousness that I felt. I hired into PHI and will shave because I placed all of the important factors ahead of my facial hair. I likely will not grow a mustache soon even though they are allowed.

Why do companies have a prejudice against facial hair? I honestly believe it goes back to social views. Prior to King Gillette introducing the safety razor and making them popular by giving them away for free to the Soldiers of WWI, many affluent people wore beards. Shaving was best done by a barber. Most people didn't like the time and effort it took to maintain a good edge on a straight razor (I know; I have two). There has not been a President of the US with a beard since Benjamin Harrison (1888-92) nor one with a mustache since Taft (1908-12). Gillette patented his razor in 1902; coincidence? Since the POTUS is the epitome of success... it only follows that everyone followed suit.

I do not like this prejudice; but I understand it. What you have to ask yourself is what is more important to you.

Edited by michael.scheller

• 2 weeks later...

The general public for years have been inundated with images of the ten most wanted, bank robbers wearing facial hair disguises, foreign enemies wearing beards and on and on to where facial hair is seem by the public as shady, and trying to hide a true identity. It's now part of the culture's psyche.

• 6 months later...

Depends on the company from what I have seen. I worked for Metro for a while. They were fine with neatly trimmed facial hair but the program manager was not. Metro said to do it the way they want it done, no facial hair.

Either way, as everyone has said, if you have facial hair, keep it neat and trimmed. Look the part of the professional that you are.