60 replies to this topic

#41 Shadowlurker

Shadowlurker

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:55

Would anyone know if there are any slots at Fort Sam and for which airframes?
  • Jwill likes this

#42 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 29 January 2019 - 18:25

Would anyone know if there are any slots at Fort Sam and for which airframes?

Nothing at Fort Sam

#43 Shadowlurker

Shadowlurker

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 14:38

Nothing at Fort Sam

Bummer. I was hoping maybe at least some -60 slots. My wife will be at Sam, so looks like Ill have to attempt for Hood.
Edit: Not -64 slots. 60 for AMEDD.

#44 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 14:58

Any Japan spots? Or is it all Korea?

#45 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 15:09

Any Japan spots? Or is it all Korea?

None for 64s if that's what you're asking.

#46 13A add a 5 please

13A add a 5 please

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 15:18

What OCONUS locations are there and for what air frames? I didn't know Japan was an option. Just got selected for WOFT so still have a ways to go before picking an airframe and duty station, so just curious for now. Also for places like Germany, is there just one duty station, or multiple? Anywhere else in Europe? Thanks!

#47 tangowhiskey

tangowhiskey

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 15:58

There's a very small, like company level, vip 60 unit in Japan. Germany has a few 60s left as well. Other than that it's Egypt and Korea.

#48 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 16:09

Germany still has a CAB- stationed there. 60s can go to Honduras for a year unaccompanied tour as well.

#49 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 16:59

None for 64s if that's what you're asking.

Hard pass for me then. 64s all the way👍

#50 13A add a 5 please

13A add a 5 please

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:29

There's a very small, like company level, vip 60 unit in Japan. Germany has a few 60s left as well. Other than that it's Egypt and Korea.

Wow, what's the deal with the unit in Egypt? That sounds pretty cool.

#51 tangowhiskey

tangowhiskey

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 14:06

It's not
  • 13A add a 5 please likes this

#52 kona4breakfast

kona4breakfast

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 14:12

Egypt is multinational observer mission. Used to be cool. VIP unit in Japan still? Med det in Italy still? VIP unit in Belgium. For all of these, you probably ain't heading there out of flight school. The best secret spot is Hondo, for sure, and you might actually get a slot straight outta Rucker.

I told my mom I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.  She told me I couldn't do both.

#53 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:51

Japan does come up occasionally, if you put korea or hondo for 60s youll get it. You might even get forced into them back to back. Ive spent almost two years now in Korea and love the country. Units are overworked and can go from amazing to crap in weeks due to high turnover

#54 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 20:04

Japan does come up occasionally, if you put korea or hondo for 60s youll get it. You might even get forced into them back to back. Ive spent almost two years now in Korea and love the country. Units are overworked and can go from amazing to crap in weeks due to high turnover

By overworked do you mean lots of flying hours... or lots of being in the military. Aka additional duties/billets/death by PowerPoint briefs

#55 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 01 February 2019 - 20:21

By overworked do you mean lots of flying hours... or lots of being in the military. Aka additional duties/billets/death by PowerPoint briefs

You will be doing more dumb sh*t in Korea than you can imagine. But its a really fun country if you get out and explore.
  • SBuzzkill and Thedude like this

#56 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 20:03

Straight overworked. 12 hour days are pretty much the standard. You do goto pt, that is on the 3-4 days a month im not working a full 12 day. Extensions are needed often. Operational readiness rates here are critical and everything must be operational all the time. Over the last year ive probably spent a couple hundred hours of my life on an apu correcting commo issues and doing bft checks on worn out aircraft. I wish I was exagerating. S1 S6 is the worst youll ever see. This place is where everyone new goes not just pilots. Extended AIT is how i refer to it. Your crew chiefs will always be brand new, some great people in that arena but they are not experienced until right before they leave and you start all over. 2 of our crewchiefs in the company currently flew before coming here the rest we will habe to train. Recently I and other RL1 PIs are slotted as a crew chief atleast once a week due to simply not having RL1 crewchiefs tp put 2 in an aircraft. Add in in dumb sh*t like "lets setup our tents that we just put away last month to make sure they are good for the field next month" starts to weigh on you after a while. The fact that the turnover rate is so high youll never have enough crews to support all the dv moves ect. Being unable to put up training flights means your just kicking the can down the road. we have guys not getting RL1 til 5-6 months in. Ive seen guys get orders before they get a first flight. I was lucky in that respect and have averaged about 115 hrs a year which isnt a ton. The turnover puts a strain on everyone else because youve always got half a company that is not flyable. That doesnt mean more flight hours, it means being on the schedule all the time as a backup or holding down the mtf line. Ive had two pure training flights that werent coupled to an AMR or mission in 2 years. Ive seen 2 guys straight out of school get pc in the two years here, both ran themselves into the ground to do it and will be getting out of the army as soon as possible. I love the country and dont regret my time here at all but its fast paced and if your one of the unlucky ones you may get 50 hours here in a year and then your out. If your on the lucky side youll atleast get a taste of almost every mission set available to a 60.

#57 Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

Spiffy_cup_of_coffee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:29

Straight overworked. 12 hour days are pretty much the standard. You do goto pt, that is on the 3-4 days a month im not working a full 12 day. Extensions are needed often. Operational readiness rates here are critical and everything must be operational all the time. Over the last year ive probably spent a couple hundred hours of my life on an apu correcting commo issues and doing bft checks on worn out aircraft. I wish I was exagerating. S1 S6 is the worst youll ever see. This place is where everyone new goes not just pilots. Extended AIT is how i refer to it. Your crew chiefs will always be brand new, some great people in that arena but they are not experienced until right before they leave and you start all over. 2 of our crewchiefs in the company currently flew before coming here the rest we will habe to train. Recently I and other RL1 PIs are slotted as a crew chief atleast once a week due to simply not having RL1 crewchiefs tp put 2 in an aircraft. Add in in dumb sh*t like "lets setup our tents that we just put away last month to make sure they are good for the field next month" starts to weigh on you after a while. The fact that the turnover rate is so high youll never have enough crews to support all the dv moves ect. Being unable to put up training flights means your just kicking the can down the road. we have guys not getting RL1 til 5-6 months in. Ive seen guys get orders before they get a first flight. I was lucky in that respect and have averaged about 115 hrs a year which isnt a ton. The turnover puts a strain on everyone else because youve always got half a company that is not flyable. That doesnt mean more flight hours, it means being on the schedule all the time as a backup or holding down the mtf line. Ive had two pure training flights that werent coupled to an AMR or mission in 2 years. Ive seen 2 guys straight out of school get pc in the two years here, both ran themselves into the ground to do it and will be getting out of the army as soon as possible. I love the country and dont regret my time here at all but its fast paced and if your one of the unlucky ones you may get 50 hours here in a year and then your out. If your on the lucky side youll atleast get a taste of almost every mission set available to a 60.

I appreciate the write up. Sounds like my current unit. And Im the platoon sergeant as well with 53 millennials to babysit. So Ive been looking forward to the aviation transition.

What would you say the best post to go to is then?

#58 Mitch4600

Mitch4600

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 19:00

Three of us are going to Germany, one to Japan, the rest staying stateside.

I requested Lewis, Carson, then Germany

Is the one going to Japan a 60? I would love to get stationed in Japan again.

#59 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 19:03

Is the one going to Japan a 60? I would love to get stationed in Japan again.

Went and came back a long time ago. The post you quoted is from a guy who hasn’t been back on the site in five years.
  • Mitch4600 likes this

#60 Tanner37

Tanner37

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Animal Medicine

Posted 03 February 2019 - 20:10

Does anybody know how Campbell is? I should be getting my verbal orders this week for 60's hoping to get at least one of my top three (Carson, Lewis, Campbell).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

Spectrum_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeBLR 200MaunaLoaVRHome200FreeFlight_Home200Genesys VR Forum 200