SERE/Dunker

Until I actually saw the airplane in person I didn't realize that there was no windscreen at all, just instruments on a wooden panel. Because seeing where you're going is for bitches.

I thought he had a small periscope type contraption if he really needed to look forwards.

edit d

Edited by aeroscout

I'm one of the few that enjoyed SERE and would do it again if given the chance.

Both courses are very ARMY in that if you pay attention and put forth effort to learn you will do fine.

Thanks for the input, man. Hopefully I'll enjoy it as well.

^ (work computer won't let me quote ppl, idk)

All of which is why you rely on your instruments! This is the same thing as flying in IMC. Water shouldn't make a difference on your safety of flight or SA.

In a perfect world, sure. Max out your duty day in the seat for a few months straight and tell me you can hold the same level of SA on all flights be them in IMC, over a pitch black ocean, or VFR when it's clear blue unlimited vis out. Of course you do your absolute best, but being well rested before the ocean trip is a bit more crucial than flying VFR on a beautiful day. Safety of flight, I guess you could say there shouldn't be a difference but I know I for one will prep more for over water flights... like say an over water kit with basics to survive if you ditch, this really depends on who you fly for because some have SOPs regarding feet wet flights and others may just leave the same survival kit regardless... all situational.

I don't want to venture off topic to far so back to SERE/Dunker... uummmm... woohoo, can't wait!

SERE - I had loads of fun in SERE when I went through; we also received cold weather survival training (CWEST) since it was the middle of January in Brunswick, ME. Imagine primitive back country camping mixed with a really angry drill instructor...haha!

Helodunker - Panic-In-A-Can - I had fun with that too (except there was more chlorine than water in the pool). Round 1 - Sit any where, no flight gear. Round 2 - Assigned seating, full military flight gear sans helmet. Round 3 - Blind fold before getting assigned seats, full gear....swim slow and try to keep steel toed boots out of your grill!

A student of mine was telling me about his blind fold experience at Rucker. Apparently he got disoriented trying to get out and got stuck. He panicked and was pretty much drowning. He was down there so long that they just simply raised the cylinder up with him in it. When he got up he was throwing up water all over the place. He took off his blind fold and there was some other dude next to him hanging up side down and throwing up as well. I felt bad for laughing but the way he told the story, made it sound funny. Said it was the worst experience of his life though. :(

A student of mine was telling me about his blind fold experience at Rucker. Apparently he got disoriented trying to get out and got stuck. He panicked and was pretty much drowning. He was down there so long that they just simply raised the cylinder up with him in it. When he got up he was throwing up water all over the place. He took off his blind fold and there was some other dude next to him hanging up side down and throwing up as well. I felt bad for laughing but the way he told the story, made it sound funny. Said it was the worst experience of his life though. :(

Haha I feel bad, but that does sound funny... they survived so it's alright to laugh, I think! As for those worried about it, I'm sure this doesn't help some of your fears to much.

Haha I feel bad, but that does sound funny... they survived so it's alright to laugh, I think! As for those worried about it, I'm sure this doesn't help some of your fears to much.

Well it's the military so it's just one of many uncomfotable experiences you all will have to go through. Just wait til you do the gas chamber. You'll have a blast!

Well it's the military so it's just one of many uncomfotable experiences you all will have to go through. Just wait til you do the gas chamber. You'll have a blast!

Haha just full of good news today aren't ya! I'm actually looking forward to all the "shitty" things. I guess it has to do with just being able to say you've done it, but discourage me you will not!

The first time in the gas chamber was terrible. The only saving grace was watching people with malfunctioning masks freak out and roll around on the floor screaming lol. That eased the tension.

All of the rest of the times years later it wasn't nearly as bad as the first. It just became more annoying than anything seeing how you smelled and tasted that crap for days. I guess like most other things it gets easier the more you do it.

Haha just full of good news today aren't ya! I'm actually looking forward to all the "shitty" things. I guess it has to do with just being able to say you've done it, but discourage me you will not!

Well I should say that I'm really not sure how the gas chamber is run in Army Basic. In the Marines it's a "harassment chamber" so it pretty much sucked. All the chambers I did in the Army were easy; basic don and clear stuff.

I am a SERE instructor at Fort Rucker. PLEASE do yourself a favor and DO NOT try to get information about SERE.

You will get some information from some friends that went through before you. They will say, "Oh, this happened at this time and they did this at this time. We were done with that part at this time."

We call that G2. First problem with that is that if we see you have been spun up by your friends, you AND your friend can, and probably will get kicked out of SERE....then flight school. SERE is a prerequisite.

Second problem with it is, it absolutely ruins your training. Surprises are surprises for a reason. They are meant to be a significant emotional event, causing a permanent reminder of how important a certain lesson is.

Best advice for SERE???? Do not think one more minute about it until you are standing in the building with all of your gear waiting to start, and BE THE INVISIBLE MAN!!! There are no distinguished graduates from SERE. LOL.

I am a SERE instructor at Fort Rucker. PLEASE do yourself a favor and DO NOT try to get information about SERE.

You will get some information from some friends that went through before you. They will say, "Oh, this happened at this time and they did this at this time. We were done with that part at this time."

We call that G2. First problem with that is that if we see you have been spun up by your friends, you AND your friend can, and probably will get kicked out of SERE....then flight school. SERE is a prerequisite.

Second problem with it is, it absolutely ruins your training. Surprises are surprises for a reason. They are meant to be a significant emotional event, causing a permanent reminder of how important a certain lesson is.

Best advice for SERE???? Do not think one more minute about it until you are standing in the building with all of your gear waiting to start, and BE THE INVISIBLE MAN!!! There are no distinguished graduates from SERE. LOL.

Excellent advice and I'm looking forward to getting yelled at by you soon haha

Nuff said. Briefed

Nuff said. Briefed

My only comparison looking forward to the dunker is the HEAT trainer, and that was more disorienting than I care to admit. With my gunners foot stuck in my face I couldnt really move much as we flopped around inside.

Ive gotten to where I dont mind CS gas that much, still sucks, but the last two times came out and even went back in laughing.

The taser wasnt too bad as long as you do the test where they wire you upto it instead of shoot you with it.

It is preferable to OC Spray, my god that is the worst stuff on earth. Many times more painful than CS gas. My only advice is to go directly to the shower and get the reflash over with while your still numbed up with pain. The guys in my barracks that went to sleep afterwards would wake up in the middle of the night screaming after rubbing against an OC covered pillow. It's pretty brutal. Hearing a grown man scream himself awake is pretty funny though. Ive got multiple copies of that certificate to never have to do that one again.

I recall this coming up in another thread, might try searching for it if someone doesnt chime in. IIRC another person was in your position and had their records in order so they were good to go and wouldn't have to redo it. But your experience may vary.

I am currently a Reconnaissance Marine and have completed SERE level C with the Navy and Marine Corps aviators, and the HELO dunker in the Marine Corps. If I get accepted into WOFT does any one know if I would have to attend SERE again?

I know someone who was allowed to skip sere because he attended the Air Force sere c course. I've attended sere c already too so I'm hoping I don't have to do it again. I was selected this month so as soon as I find out an answer I'll let you know.

If you have your appropriate certificate you may bypass SERE, the only thing I've heard is that the Air Force didn't start doing SERE the way the Army does till after a certain date, so if you have had AF SERE prior to that, you are required to repeat it at mother Rucker. I want to say that it is 2007-8. Don't quote me, I'll try and find out more.

I know someone who was allowed to skip sere because he attended the Air Force sere c course. I've attended sere c already too so I'm hoping I don't have to do it again. I was selected this month so as soon as I find out an answer I'll let you know.

Congrats on getting selected. And thanks for the info.