R-44 Ferry Flight WI - CA

Everyone on here is talking about paying a professional/commercial pilot. The op is probably looking for a private pilot building time. A ppl needs hours and experience. This is different from the pattern and a little cheaper then flight schools. While it's not the best deal out there, it's not a bad deal for someone either.

Everyone but me. There may be others too.

• 1 month later...

Operators and indivduals have no room calling these flights "ferry flights" when they are requesting a pilot to pay to relocate their aircraft! It is a rental flight plain and simple.Furthermore, using the RV scenario to justify the reasoning in behind charging a pilot to relocate an operators aircraft is popycock! There is one huge difference between people who are vactioning and commercial pilots. Commercial pilots are professionals that dont work for free or pay to work, whereas people vactioning are not professional drivers and are paying for the camping experience. Asking a commercial pilot to pay to relocate your aircraft is like asking a commercial truck driver to pay the transportaion company to deliver their freight to customers. Commercial pilots are not customers of commercial operators.They are working professionals, and if an operator needs someone to relocate their aircraft, then they need to be willing to hire a pilot and pay them to do this service. If they are not, then they can get out from behind their desk and move it themself, or have their secretary relocate it for the company. In my opinion, all professional pilots should refuse to pay an operator to relocate their aircraft. Even if they are offering it at $25.00 an hour! If any one should get $25.00 hour it should be the commercial pilot. Until professional pilots take back contol and stop paying these operators, we will never be looked at as anything other than slave labor.

I agree with this "stop paying operators".Do the fuel companies provide fuel for free? I am a commercial pilot, I used to get paid for every hour of flight time, and received an email from an FBO that offered me to fly their aircraft to transport a customer back home after they dropped off an aircraft for paint, A round-trip flight with no pay? Some sucker actually agreed to do the flight.

We spend tens of thousands for a career and hold a license to prove it to allow us to offer professional services for free? I wonder how many orthopedic surgeons will perform knee surgery or dentists will extract a tooth and pay you to allow them to add one more notch on their belt or how about a mechanic that just set up shop to overhaul your engine for lets say--free?

This industry is out of hand and will stay that way until their is a real shortage of professional pilots. The fuel and insurance companies are controlling this industry and they are the ones profiting. Pilot pay is a drop in the bucket compared to other aviation expenses (fuel, insurance, maintenance, aircraft) and the pilot pay keeps going down. The cost per hour for flight time goes up but the pay goes down. It's only a matter of time that the real professional pilots all quit and the industry will be stuck with a bunch of low time suckers paying the operators for joy rides and driving insurance premiums even higher.

I agree with this "stop paying operators".Do the fuel companies provide fuel for free? I am a commercial pilot, I used to get paid for every hour of flight time, and received an email from an FBO that offered me to fly their aircraft to transport a customer back home after they dropped off an aircraft for paint, A round-trip flight with no pay? Some sucker actually agreed to do the flight.

We spend tens of thousands for a career and hold a license to prove it to allow us to offer professional services for free? I wonder how many orthopedic surgeons will perform knee surgery or dentists will extract a tooth and pay you to allow them to add one more notch on their belt or how about a mechanic that just set up shop to overhaul your engine for lets say--free?

This industry is out of hand and will stay that way until their is a real shortage of professional pilots. The fuel and insurance companies are controlling this industry and they are the ones profiting. Pilot pay is a drop in the bucket compared to other aviation expenses (fuel, insurance, maintenance, aircraft) and the pilot pay keeps going down. The cost per hour for flight time goes up but the pay goes down. It's only a matter of time that the real professional pilots all quit and the industry will be stuck with a bunch of low time suckers paying the operators for joy rides and driving insurance premiums even higher.

TO gPilot and Bama269-C:

Have either of you owned a helicopter or helicopter business?

So because a pilot hold a commercial, means they are able to perform all operations? If you are a newly minted, low time pilot, ferrying is about all you probably can do competently with someone else's machine.

This original post probably wasn't catering to the 2000hr AStar driver. It was probably more geared to that 200 hour "professional pilot" who hasn't found a job yet. The pilot who owns the helicopter referred to in this discussion could have just easily said "Screw the hassle, Im going alone."

I don't see all the professional pilots quitting anytime soon though… but keep hoping.

If you used to be paid to fly, what happened?

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1