New Part 135 Pilot Testing Regulations

flyingbasti

There are new regulations for 135, among others, concerning the pilot training/testing.

"for rotorcraft pilots, procedures for aircraft handling in flat-light, whiteout, and brownout conditions, including methods for
recognizing and avoiding those conditions. "
I'd assume that is theoretical training/testing?
I would have a hard time testing my pilots' white-out capabilities in South Carolina.

2014-03689_PI.pdf

There are new regulations for 135, among others, concerning the pilot training/testing.

"for rotorcraft pilots, procedures for aircraft handling in flat-light, whiteout, and brownout conditions, including methods for
recognizing and avoiding those conditions. "
I'd assume that is theoretical training/testing?
I would have a hard time testing my pilots' white-out capabilities in South Carolina.

Most 135 certificates are not limited to a regional area.

Some testing can be done via oral/questioning!

IIMC recovery has been tested for the last few years already.

Mike

Edited by Mikemv

From the FAA 159 page document.

To clarify, the rule requires that pilots, on the annual written or oral test required by § 135.293(a),

demonstrate knowledge of procedures for aircraft handling in flat-light, whiteout, and brownout

conditions, and methods for recognizing and avoiding these conditions. They would be required

to demonstrate a realistic course of action to escape IIMC during the § 135.293(B) competency

check.

Most HEMS operators have been doing this testing already. In fact most HEMS operators already adhere to the vast majority of what is listed in the final rule. The Final rule will affect other Part 135 and Part 91 operations the most.

For HEMS the biggest changes for many operators will be the inclusion of flight data recorder in the aircraft. Also, dispatch centers or a operational control center will affect some operators. My company has already been working on all aspects of the final rule requirements that we don't already have for some time.

The FAA is just catching up with the industry. Look at it this way, they are not wasting time mandating NVGs because it is already the industry standard.

My feeling is the final rule is addressing sound issues but issues of the past in some respects. In recent years the leading causes of accidents in all of the Helicopter Industry has been maintenance related. Either poor maintenance procedures, parts failure. Engine failures of many sorts was near the top of that list. Combine this with poor autorotation training in the "commercial" world has led to many poor outcomes.

The FAA needs to address maintenance procedures and we need to stop having line pilots conduct maintenance test flights unless properly trained.

• Like 1

I am not at the least bit surprised. Neither is the NTSB. The FAA will get to it but that will be years down the road. I am glad my company sends its pilots to the factory for full down autos.

I'm glad to see the FAA start nibbling at the major issue- pilot training, and the secondary, pilot duty periods. It's kinda like patching the hole you've just put in a wall with an "unloaded" gun, though. It's much better to teach one the theory, technique and skills that prevent it.

Specific example- my employer risk assessment matrix scores a narrow temp/dew point spread as equivalent to a single med crew not being NVG current. The risk could be potentially equivalent, but when? What makes them go/no-go scenarios, and why? What do you do to mitigate either if the RAM has brought them to your attention? The commercial level PTS and theory is pretty skinny in this regard, and that's the benchmark for pilot training?

Now add a poorly rested, sleep deprived, circadian disrupted, fatigued pilot to this equation... Russian roulette with an automatic pistol.

Edited by Wally

I always thought that barely ever doing any full down autos was interesting about the training environment in the US.

I did my private in Germany and practiced full down autos en masse, even on grass.

Then I come over here and if you're lucky you get to do one or two in your training to become a CFI.

So unless you go for a CFI rating you basically never have any full down experience until you have an engine failure at some point..

I always thought that barely ever doing any full down autos was interesting about the training environment in the US.

I did my private in Germany and practiced full down autos en masse, even on grass.

Then I come over here and if you're lucky you get to do one or two in your training to become a CFI.

So unless you go for a CFI rating you basically never have any full down experience until you have an engine failure at some point..

Unless you're an army pilot and you spend two full months doing autos to the ground every day...

Old school, full-downs were done during the commercial phase and when nearing the 150 hr mark, it was all-day, every-day…..

I’m not getting the warm and fuzzies over this stuff. Why would anyone believe this is significant for the pool of 135 pilots? Why aren’t these elements being emphasized at the commercial level? Doesn’t the Feds understand where the “Law of Primacy” should begin?

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Spike,

I am working on it at the primary level along with some others from USHST.

Good to have met you at Heli Expo.

Mike