What's the latest scoop on AGE WAIVERS?

I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but what is the latest on the age waivers? I've known many in the last year or so who have submitted and been approved, provided they had a strong packet. There is the tendency to think that the drawdown is causing many age waivers to be deneid, but is this really true?

There is the tendency to think that the drawdown is causing many age waivers to be deneid, but is this really true?

That's the tendency with all waivers, not just age. But, you'll never know unless you apply. I wouldn't let it stop you from putting in the packet.

Its going to be a case by case basis, and they're hard to come by. The only person I've met that got an age waiver was in the Air Force and as they were applying received orders to Germany, and when he got there they would not sign his conditional release until he did at least two years or something, so that pushed him over the age limit. He got that approved, but only because he could prove that he was working on be accepted prior to the age limit and pre Germany orders.

Flim - good question, I'm still trying to figure that out with my recruiter. Does anyone else have knowledge of the age waiver process? Also, how long is an approved waiver good for -- is it good for just the next board, or is it a certain time period (like 6 months / a year).

Well, I'm doing my bt board on April 6th, then my packet is sent to Rucker proponent for waiver approval, then depending on the outcome it is pushed forward to the selection board. I'm not sure how long the waiver takes, but I will have a buddy calling to help speed things up.

2ndGen: There have been at least 3 applicants on this VR website who mentioned getting age waivers approved in the last year and half or so. On the goarmy.com forum, there have been another 2 or 3 approved. The difference is that they had strong packets and weren't that much over the limit. Most were civilian applicants. Also, when the USAREC site specifically mentions "age waivers on a case by case basis", you know they are at least entertaining them. I'm sure many have been denied as well, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as some think.

Who told you they are the hardest to come by? Maybe for Active Duty it's a bit different, but my observations come primarily from the civilian pool.

What i'm trying to get at is, you can't just decide at 33 that "you've always wanted to fly helicopters for the Army" and get an age waiver. Soooooo many people I talk to think that this process is easy to get into and the Army takes anybody. I realize that people on this board are not these people, but too many people assume that waivers are going to be given, while I watch good pilots and candidates get booted for truly trivial medical things, (one guy had already passed TWO flight physicals and was close to graduating IERW when some doc found something with his eye.)

Flim - good question, I'm still trying to figure that out with my recruiter. Does anyone else have knowledge of the age waiver process? Also, how long is an approved waiver good for -- is it good for just the next board, or is it a certain time period (like 6 months / a year).

Again, It's all spelled out in black and white under the waivers section on the recruiting website. Seriously, go look for yourself. I'm not making it up.

I'll make it even easier. Here's the link:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/#tabs-5

Again, It's all spelled out in black and white under the waivers section on the recruiting website. Seriously, go look for yourself. I'm not making it up.

I'll make it even easier. Here's the link:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/#tabs-5

I see where it mentions waivers are good for 1 year, so it's probably that for civilians too (although that site is meant for Active Duty)

• Like 1

I had one, was turned away by MEPS when I went in to sign my contract after being selected. Submitted it, denied - after being selected! Turned out a guy in Seattle disapproved it when he had no authority to and Proponent, at Rucker, helped straighten it all out. Now finally graduate next week

• Like 1

I had one, was turned away by MEPS when I went in to sign my contract after being selected. Submitted it, denied - after being selected! Turned out a guy in Seattle disapproved it when he had no authority to and Proponent, at Rucker, helped straighten it all out. Now finally graduate next week

How long ago did this happen? I'm assuming this was when the age limit was "you had to be in flight school by your 33rd birthday"?

WOAC.pdf

Someone on this website (don't remember who) had a question about whether waivers affect your ability to get selected. I found this attachment on the USAREC site.

See what it says by Supporting Documents. I take this to mean that waivers don't factor in the selection process at all? Thoughts?

They affect your ability to get selected BASED on the fact that when they're reviewed PRIOR to the board, they can keep your packet from being qualified.

Make sense? That's why waivers take longer to process. They have to know if you're gonna be gtg or not. If you're good, then yeah, it shouldn't matter to the BOARD.

It just matters to be qualified to GET seen by the board.

Not sure if Stearman is still on the boards but he's said in the past that they've not accepted candidates with waivers on some boards. Depends on how competitive the particular board is.

Years ago in WOBC we had a CW5 board member explain the reasoning behind the then 30 yr old limit. They figure that someone off the street who joins at 30 will be 50 at retirement. They've determined that around 50 yrs old is when some of the disqualifying medical conditions will crop up for some people. In order to protect their investment, they came up with the 30 (now 33) year old restriction.