Helicopter AcademyFrasca VRForum468TigerTugsVOLO_VRHome200
Photo
- - - - -

Have you ever had anything go "Klunk!" in Flight?

that Mama! moment Aviator Professionalism Instant Religious awakening

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 aussiecop

aussiecop

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:20

Being born during the wind up of Vietnam, it is really cool to hear all these 'nam stories from you old salts.  Thanks for the great visuals.

• Francis Meyrick likes this

#22 MileHi480B

MileHi480B

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 00:43

I had just taken off with wife and kids.  About 1 minute into the flight ... KLUNK!.  Then everything was smooth - like always.  I landed immediately and checked everything.

I have an Enstrom 480B ... turns out that my right skid did not fully "release" or extend right after takeoff - as they are meant to do.  They are hydraulic and are designed to fully extend after takeoff, then compress as you land.

On this occasion, the skid shocks let go one minute into the flight causing the "KLUNK".

Air in the system can cause intermittent problems.

Edited by MileHi480B, 03 May 2014 - 00:45.

#23 michael.scheller

michael.scheller

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Company working for:S3 International

Posted 10 May 2014 - 19:58

Pre-flighting a Hawk early morning with another guy. I head up top, he does the bottom. Crewchief climbs up the tail and starts looking the mighty bird over also. Aircraft was a hundred hours out of the 500 hour phase inspection. Crewchief hollers "clear" and turns the blades. I'm climbing over the blades up top and the pilot down below had just walked up to the tail boom. John yells "stop" and gives a strange look to each of us. Then starts directing the CE to to turn the blades as he listens intently opening the tail rotor drive shaft cover as he goes. We get four or five complete revolutions of the MR while I'm climbing down to join John. "Hear that?" Yup; muffled clankenty-clank noises along the TR driveshaft area. Very faint and soft; so soft that I couldn't hear it from more than a couple feet away. We couldn't locate the cause but were convinced it was coming from inside the driveshaft. 

We red-x the airplane move to another and head out on the mission. We get back later that afternoon and the maintenance boys are pushing it out for ground runs while shaking their heads at us. Turns out the bird needed a new tail rotor drive shaft section on the last phase. New TR shafts come with all of the hardware needed - Nuts, Bolts, and washers - in a small muslin bag usually attached to one of the attachment ears. This one had a bag of hardware that had slipped down into the hollow of the shaft and had been there for 100 hours of flight and might have gone on much longer had not the coincidence of one guy standing at the right spot while someone was turning the blades.

#24 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")
    For my aviation scribbles see www.chopperstories.com.... enjoy!

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:07

wow. Reminds me of the story told me by the pilot. He was in the habit of banging on the tail boom. Just a casual, bottom-of-fist bang, I guess.

He heard a rattle. Another bang: another answering  rattle. :huh:

Hmmm...

Turned out to be a tool left behind.

For a while, we were all going around banging tail booms... 

• aeroscout and michael.scheller like this

"Flying is a Privilege, and not a Right"

fa9f27a0-98d0-48ed-9687-6953eb7f9fca_zps

#25 aeroscout

aeroscout

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, skydiving, Speaking, Writing, Reading.
  • Company working for:Caruso

Posted 11 May 2014 - 16:13

wow. Reminds me of the story told me by the pilot. He was in the habit of banging on the tail boom. Just a casual, bottom-of-fist bang, I guess.

He heard a rattle. Another bang: another answering  rattle. :huh:

Hmmm...

Turned out to be a tool left behind.

For a while, we were all going around banging tail booms... 

That last sentence, was it "G" rated ?

• aussiecop likes this

#26 JohnLeePettimore

JohnLeePettimore

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Muscle cars, spending time with my wife and 3 kids
  • Company working for:US Army Honor Guard

Posted 12 May 2014 - 00:39

Well played, good sir.

#27 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:04

Two days ago, while supporting a wildland fire exercise with local and visiting assists, I was assigned to pretreat certain areas of vegetation and provide break-out protection with bucket operations. The outside temps were above the 95 degree mark so I elected to conduct this op with the doors removed, which in my case was the exception, not the norm……

While coming off the first dip in a right turn, I felt a distinct “klunk-klunk” in the floor and in my seat. Somewhat concerned, I manipulated the controls to attempt recreate the “klunk” with negative results. Assuming maybe it was the cargo hook swing system reaching its limits while coming off the pond, I elected to grab another bucket. Even though I pride myself in being a smooth operator, this time, I closely watched the swing system through mirrors. Off the dip, no problem. As I started the right turn, the “klunk-klunk” happened again. WTF? Because of the doors were removed, I now thought that maybe a piece of equipment was rolling around in the rear cabin area so, as best as I could, I did a quick visual and saw nothing. In my mind, I didn’t think it was a flight safety issue and if it was, I would have set down. However, what I needed to do was change an element of my tactics. The next bucket, I made a left turn off the dip. No “klunk”. The next dip, a left turn, no “klunk”. The next dip a right turn, “klunk-klunk”! WTF? These kinds of things are an indicator of a cargo door opened but I was absolutely positive the doors were secured. Well, the next bucket was going to be the last if I didn’t get this identified….

The next dip, in the right turn, out of the corner of my eye I saw the vertical reference window bi-fold cover blow open and slam against my seat and slam close…. “klunk-klunk”…..

Left turn Clyde….

Edited by Spike, 06 June 2014 - 13:04.

#28 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:46

Aeroscout... buddy... you have a WARPED mind. Warped, I tell you.  I'm so naive and innocent ( I was an altar boy when I was young) that I didn't even get it for a while. 

"...get it for a while.."     :wacko:

The joke, Aeroscout, the JOKE.  

Jeez....

Banging tail.... boom

:huh:

#29 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 15:06

No more klunkers...?

I could have been a librarian...

• Whistlerpilot likes this

#30 HighCountry

HighCountry

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, backpacking, hunting, outdoors
  • Company working for:Bush work all over the World

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:01

Flying along over the Alaskan tundra on a beautiful fall morning, heading out with clients for an amazing day of chasing monster rainbows.  Fall colors everywhere, clear skies, nothing but optimism and the certainty of a perfect day when BANG..WHOOSH.  Air flow that wasn't there a second ago and after I get a second to sort out my life expectancy I realize that my pilots side sliding window on my S-55 just departed the ship.  I even have time to glance out the now open space next to me and see it windmilling slowly towards the earth, landing gently in some alders...  This view and the realization that the tailrotor is on the opposite all came in to focus about the same instant.

A quick spiral down and landing, hopped out and grabbed the window and reinstalled it.  Back in flight in a matter of moments but I flew with it all the way closed until I got back to base and made some track adjustments.  Sure did get my attention though.

Maybe some day I'll talk about trying to change the portable CD player on a long bush flight while holding the cyclic between my knees and my test flight of retreating blade stall regime...  God, I love helicopters.

#31 nightsta1ker

nightsta1ker

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:22

Recently had an R44 Astro that would randomly make a loud "Clunk!" in flight.  It got torn apart several times to try to find the issue.  No dice. It was loud enough to wake you up and you could feel it.  Still bother's me to this day that we never found out what was causing it.  It recently timed out for 2200 hour overhaul.

#32 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:48

I had a guy in the back of a  unbuckle and move from the one side to the other, and in the process drop his radio on the floor, at night, in the mountains.

Me:  Did you just do something in the back?

Him:  Ya man.... I move to the other side, sorry I dropped my flashlight too."

He wasnt a small guy, I don't know how he managed or what possessed him to squeeze under and slide over in the back of a 500.

Fortunately up to now, my oh crap moments have been chip lights, torque needle dropping to zero,  my RPM to the bottom of the green despite trying to beep it up.  Landing in the parking lot of a golf course to check out an Engine Chip Det light.  That was fun.  I left with more bottles of water and Cokes than I knew what to do with.  

Edited by Flying Pig, 15 August 2014 - 10:50.

#33 aussiecop

aussiecop

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:04

It's especially fun when your mechanic turns up to where you landed and denies anything was wrong and basically calls you a liar that the chip light activated....

#34 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:33

It's especially fun when your mechanic turns up to where you landed and denies anything was wrong and basically calls you a liar that the chip light activated....

this one is even better than that, and NO i was neither the pilot nor mechanic, just a friend of the owner.

the mechanic/pilot just finished a 100 hr inspection/test flight of the owners hughes 300, and landed it on the opposite side of the field just as the owner showed up. The mechanic told the owner that the engine wasn't producing enuf power to make it back to the hangar. ..  The owner hopped in, fired it up, and said "its fine to me" and proceeded to hover it back to the hangar, upon crossing a drainage ditch? the engine thru a rod and he fell in the ditch and the damage was substantial.

always believe your mechanic AND your pilot

#35 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:04

always believe your mechanic AND your pilot

Or, quoting from the Philosophical Works of some dunderhead named..... Mmmm....Foggy?

"When in doubt, Chicken Out"

based on the parabolic inverse hypothesis:

"Better a Live Chicken than a Dead Duck"

:)

(Quack! Quack!)

#36 CharyouTree

CharyouTree

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Company working for:Student/MAARNG

Posted 22 August 2014 - 20:50

Taking off from Lowe AHP.  Passed through ETL, and then about 100 feet.. WHAP!

"I have the controls" "Tower, returning to the field".  Maintenance finds nothing.  Well, I'm not taking it back out.  I didn't like the sound of it. You figure it out.  I know it happened, and until you figure out what caused it, thanks but no thanks.

Turns out a few days later... (I don't remember how I found out) it was probably the little 3" round window on the student's side popped open, and he didn't know enough to tell me that it did (and I didn't know enough to suspect it).  Oops.

Telling the story, it sounds like I was an idiot. But at the time, I was nervous enough to not want to take the A/C again, just for a little training.

#37 aeroscout

aeroscout

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, skydiving, Speaking, Writing, Reading.
  • Company working for:Caruso

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:33

Or, quoting from the Philosophical Works of some dunderhead named..... Mmmm....Foggy?

"When in doubt, Chicken Out"

based on the parabolic inverse hypothesis:

"Better a Live Chicken than a Dead Duck"

:)

(Quack! Quack!)

"Dead Duck" you say ?

Do you know what happens when he is still alive and flies inverted ?

#38 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:41

"Dead Duck" you say ?

Do you know what happens when he is still alive and flies inverted ?

He quaaks up !!  :P

then when he goes down in flames?  he is a fire quakker  :D

• aeroscout likes this

#39 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 16:20

then when he goes down in flames?  he is a fire quakker   :D

...I'll say it. Let me say it. Please. Lemme....

which is why elephants have flat feet, right? To stamp out flaming quakkers....??

(gawd... really)

:rolleyes:

PS:  (scratching head)  How did we get from "Klunk!" in flight, to "Fire Quakkers"....??    Hummmmm....... ;)

Edited by Francis Meyrick, 25 August 2014 - 16:23.

#40 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 18:10

This one didn't go "Klunk!", but it did go "Splash!"    But I think it could really have gone really, really badly "KLUNK!".  I think I was lucky.

:rolleyes:

Dropping a Missile 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeAble_VRHOme200HeliHelmets-VR HomeDevoreHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Spectrum_VRHome200