Hello,

As a pilot trained in the USA, holding an FAA issued CFII, I am looking to transfer my license to fly in Europe under the new EASA regulations.

Can you please offer some insight on the process, necessary tests, requirements, web pages to gather information, etc.?

What are the necessary steps and what have others experienced?

Any advice to make the transition smooth?

Anything I need to know that I have perhaps not yet encountered?

Thank you for your help.

Keep your nose to the wind.

• Like 2

No such thing as a smooth transition here I'm afraid. You will have to 14 written exams and a checkride to EASA standards, which is a little different than FAA. Give Bristow Academy a call and they may be able to help you out. It's a pain int he ass too. Have you a visa for Europe?

Hello,

As a pilot trained in the USA, holding an FAA issued CFII, I am looking to transfer my license to fly in Europe under the new EASA regulations.

Can you please offer some insight on the process, necessary tests, requirements, web pages to gather information, etc.?

What are the necessary steps and what have others experienced?

Any advice to make the transition smooth?

Anything I need to know that I have perhaps not yet encountered?

Thank you for your help.

Keep your nose to the wind.

Also, you wanne get your IR ME and MCC IR to be better positioned for a job in Europe.I also advise you to go through Bristow academy in Tistusville.

FAA -> EASA is a long way!

Only your flight time counts. You have to sit 14 exams and it´s recommended to get an IR ME (which is expensive in Europe).

If you have some IFR flight time and converting it to an EASA IR you may get a break. In my case I only had to do 5 hrs of flight training in the aircraft (A109) and 5 hours in the simulator + checkride (1:30 -2:00 hrs) . An hour of Multiengine helicopter time cost you around 1800 euros and that doesn't even include taxes and landing and ATC fees.

Long story short. If you convert your US COM with US IFR /ATPL into an EASA CPL(H) with ATP theory, MCC IR and IR ME you will take 14 written exams for the EASA ATP and then 4 (used to be 7) written exams for the IR theory.

My costs for the US - EASA conversion:

initial european class 1 medical ~ 600 euros

14 written ATP exams fee ~ 580 euros

4 written exams IR exam fees ~ 350 euros

ATP theory course with books and instructor fees ~2000 euros

IR course with books and instructor fees ~ 2000 euros

10 hrs in an R44 ( US Atpl into EASA CPL ) ~7000 euros

5 hrs sim and 5 hours A109 ( US ifr into EASA IR ME) ~ 20.000 Euros

MCC IR course ( 20 hrs simulator ) ~ 7000 euros

So about 60.000+ $

For US pilots who wish to go the conversion route , You can do a distance course through bristow academy in FL, that way you can study at work or from home and do most of the learning online. But there will be some times where you need to be at their school and sit in class and take exams.

Keep in mind you also need a working visa to be able to work in Europe. Also the pilot market in Europe isn't the greatest from what i hear. But CHC is hiring at this moment, but you need to have your EASA license to be considered as non applicant AND pass the chc hiring written tests which you can take only once in your life time.

If anyone has any more questions feel free and PM me.

Falko