Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:Air Methods

Posted 23 March 2014 - 16:24

A tattoo is fundamentally an intentional self mutilation. It is an inarguable psychological indication. Is it a decisively favorable indication to a branch of the service? If the tattoo is more important than the calling, the answer is obvious.

Just a pilot...

#22 brackac

brackac

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 16:37

A tattoo is fundamentally an intentional self mutilation. It is an inarguable psychological indication. Is it a decisively favorable indication to a branch of the service? If the tattoo is more important than the calling, the answer is obvious.

Wow! Is filling a cavity self mutilation? Is cutting your hair self mutilation? What about a woman piercing their ears? They all modify the human body. 

The fact that you think someone who has a tattoo has psychological deficiencies says a lot about your mental state.

• BDP22 and ShaneWey like this

#23 brackac

brackac

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 16:45

Sat and went through everyone in my unit, enlisted and warrant, and only 5 people don't have tattoos. So, that puts the percentage of people tattooed > 90% in my unit. Good to know that i work with so many psychologically damaged individuals.

#24 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 18:59

Wow! Is filling a cavity self mutilation? Is cutting your hair self mutilation? What about a woman piercing their ears? They all modify the human body. 

The fact that you think someone who has a tattoo has psychological deficiencies says a lot about yo.ur mental state.

"Is filling a cavity self mutilation?"

No, it's a restoration and repair. That's an illuminating point if you can't tell the difference.

Just a pilot...

#25 brackac

brackac

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 19:09

"Is filling a cavity self mutilation?"

No, it's a restoration and repair. That's an illuminating point if you can't tell the difference.

No, there is no difference. The filling of cavities, along with crowns, bridges, and every other dental device that replaces or refinishes the natural form of the human body are cosmetic in nature. That's why we choose fillings that match our teeth color, or dental devices that disguise the work done, and by your own words the usage of a mechanical tool to alter or change one's body is in your stated opinion self mutilation driven by psychological issues.If it wasn't done for vanity reasons, we would just pull the tooth or use material that is much more conducive to the job, but less appealing visually.

The fact that you think people with tattoos are psychologically damaged shows your simple minded ignorance. I don't know if it's your age, or your beliefs, but either way you are seriously misguided on this subject. If you think that people in the military are mentally deficient just because they have tattoos, then you obviously think very little of the military as a whole. Just another out of touch old person who feels a sense of superiority because they can't get passed something someone did to their own body to improve their appearance. With that, I'm sure you know what you can go do.

• BDP22 likes this

#26 brackac

brackac

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 19:22

Good to know that I am not a combat veteran who has served my country since 1992, but instead I am just a psychologically damaged individual because I have a couple tattoos.

#27 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:54

Good to know that I am not a combat veteran who has served my country since 1992, but instead I am just a psychologically damaged individual because I have a couple tattoos.

One vet to another- give that a rest. As a defense/excuse it's insulting to the both of us.

I didn't say "damaged", I said "significant". As is your opinion that my age (I am almost officially a senior citizen) discredits my proposition.

The percentage of a population that shares a mistaken opinion doesn't correct the error. Tattoos, like filing your teeth to points, is self mutilation, whether you find it attractive or not. It's not like wearing paisley and beads in that you can reasonably expect a tattoo to be painful and permanent. It's they 'why' of that decision that's significant. Otherwise a Magic Marker and some artistic inclination would suffice.

Just a pilot...

#28 brackac

brackac

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:12

One vet to another- give that a rest. As a defense/excuse it's insulting to the both of us.

A tattoo is fundamentally an intentional self mutilation. It is an inarguable psychological indication

Pretty easy to discern ones intentions in a statement like that. 

#29 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:17

Pretty easy to discern ones intentions in a statement like that. 

Then I communicated at least one point effectively.

• Rob Lyman and apacheguy like this
Just a pilot...

#30 ShaneWey

ShaneWey

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:56

Anyone who was concerned about tattoos, USAREC released a statement saying anyone selected for WO before 01 July 2014 will be grandfathered in by the old standard. Anyone selected after 01 July 2014 will have to adhere to the new tattoo policy. I know some recent selectees who haven't shipped out and some May board guys were worried about it. Looks like y'all are good.

http://www.usarec.ar...ant/index.shtml
"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done."

- Thomas Jefferson

#31 apacheguy

apacheguy

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:TH-67, OH-58A/A+/C, AH-1F, UH-1H, UH-72A, AH-64A/D

Posted 26 March 2014 - 15:02

So now is a good time to go get "F**K THE ARMY" on my neck?

• akscott60 and ShaneWey like this

#32 Heinisch

Heinisch

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Company working for:SGT - US Army Infantry

Posted 26 March 2014 - 18:10

So how are you supposed to prove you're within regs/ don't have any tattoos after 01 July 14?

#33 goodfx

goodfx

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 18:15

So now is a good time to go get "F**K THE ARMY" on my neck?

That's what really sucks, the fact that some idiots literally had "f*%& you" or "FTA" tattooed on their necks,

#34 Yamer

Yamer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Company working for:Arizona Army National Guard

Posted 26 March 2014 - 18:47

Tattoos are supposed to be reported and documented in your file, just like when you sign contract it has the tattoo form. Might be a way to track the date on that form? Idk guessing
"If one engine fails, how far can the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

#35 Jon B.

Jon B.

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 19:03

It'll be pretty easy to tell the timeframe at least from physical to physical. So, your yearly flight physical will show the change, and then be documented.

If you were worried about being granfathered I'd make sure I had an updated physical prior to that date. Then you'd have the proof. Otherwise, you're stuck with the new regs.

#36 Heinisch

Heinisch

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Company working for:SGT - US Army Infantry

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:29

I don't have any tattoos. I just wanted to make sure that if I wasn't selected in May and my packet goes to the July board that I don't have to send in any proof that I have no tattoos. I don't see how they tell if you have any though because the packet is the only thing they review right? I don't think they can go into your personal medical files to see documented tattoos.

So that makes me wonder if they are going to make you get examined by a physician and have it signed or something and that will be another form you have to put in your packet?

#37 Yamer

Yamer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Company working for:Arizona Army National Guard

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:22

The tattoo form is included with your 2808 meps physical...
"If one engine fails, how far can the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

#38 goodfx

goodfx

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:03

I can see where the Army is coming from.  The military  discriminates, whether we like it or not.  It could be age, gender, orientation (at least before).  The Army isn't always going to compromise the nation's security because of someone's personal preferences.  We have to be cognizant of how other countries view us -- and the thinking is that tattoos generally don't help that image.  That's the harsh reality of it.  I'm not saying it's right or politically correct, but it's the truth.

Are you saying that the Army can and should discriminate against gender? Should we also go back to being a segregated Army? The last thing, and I really do mean the last thing that I will ever care about is what other countries think of the United States. That's the problem- people like you who think that asinine things matter. 

I don't have tattoos, I don't want tattoos, but I see no reason to discriminate against seasoned combat veterans or anyone else based upon their taste in art.

#39 apacheguy

apacheguy

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:TH-67, OH-58A/A+/C, AH-1F, UH-1H, UH-72A, AH-64A/D

Posted 27 March 2014 - 15:59

I don't have any tattoos. I just wanted to make sure that if I wasn't selected in May and my packet goes to the July board that I don't have to send in any proof that I have no tattoos. I don't see how they tell if you have any though because the packet is the only thing they review right? I don't think they can go into your personal medical files to see documented tattoos.

So that makes me wonder if they are going to make you get examined by a physician and have it signed or something and that will be another form you have to put in your packet?

If you look at the new regs it sounds as if commanders will be responsible for annually checking for new tats.  Imagine lining up everyone in the company every year to check for ink...LOL.  Just another army reg that can not and will not be enforced. 

I doubt that your physical could be used for tat monitoring purposes, HIPA is pretty hard for commanders to get through to gain any info about a Soldier. 

#40 Fliesbecauseracecar

Fliesbecauseracecar

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Company working for:Uncle Sam

Posted 27 March 2014 - 16:24

Don't know about every year, but twice in the last 5, we have had a mandatory BDE run that turned into a tat check.  Males and Females were separated and with proper supervision (no one on one, no opposite gender inspections)  everyone filed through in their undergarments.   At that time it was checking for gang tattoos unauthorized affiliation tattoos.  No one cared what was underneath your drawers, so your indecent crotch tat is probably ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JR Aviation Home 200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRHome200BristowHomePrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeHeliAviationHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeOdysseyHome200