Weather looking good for a Check Ride Saturday

It's almost here and the pressure's on. I'm pounding the books and studying the crap out of all those things I haven't used since I studied for and took the written test a few months back. I'm actually more concerned about the oral part than I am about the flying part. I've gotten fairly polished with my general piloting skills - holding altitude and airspeed, navigation, radio protocol (I fly in class D) and I'm getting some last minute instruction on the flying-maneuvers I can't do solo. I've been able to squeeze in a little over 70 hours since I started the journey last August.

Spent some time Saturday doing autos, slope landings, nailing some takeoffs, patterns and landings, run-on takeoffs and landings, quick stops and more autos. Plus, I've also got some instructor-time scheduled for Wednesday just to keep the blood pumping.

I've got my ship of choice scheduled - little red Beta II, W&B is done, forms filled out, got the required documentation together and I'm running practice flight plans. I'll start every morning and end every evening this week quizzing myself on airport markings, light gun signals, procedures, certs, limitations, weather briefings etc.

I KNOW I CAN DO THIS!!

• Like 4

Dan - I hope you're right! Somehow - don't ask me how - I scored a 95% on the written. Unfortunately, I'm sporting a 61 year old brain that ain't quite as potent as it used to be.

Lol, sounds like your pretty ready to me. Then when the DPE walks in and introduces himself....you wont remember your own name!! :D

I am jammin the books again after a seven month hiatus for my CFII. It is amazing to me how much info is up there still, but all jumbled up. It seems like when Indont think about it, I can answer a question, but get me rattled, and my brain goes in overload and my thoughts and speach cant coexist! Lol

I have finally busted off some rusty flying under the hood, but find it so dang hard to talk my way through the approaches.....

So now I am chair flying the bird when its not in use and hoping that sharpens up the skills.

Congrats on making it!!! Its an amazing accomplishment to have completed!!

Tradford,

Relax but remember, you are to be the PIC on this flight evaluation.

Own the flight and use a system of Hazard ID, Risk Assessment & Risk management in these areas of SRM: Aeronautical Decision Making, Risk Management, Task Management, Automation Management, Situational Awareness & Controlled Flight Into Terrain avoidance.

Look thru Chap. 14 of the Helicopter Flying Handbook for info on all of this and demonstrate good judgment and a safe approach to flying.

Flying skills can be just OK but head working skills need to show the above mentioned items.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Edited by Mikemv
  • Like 1

Then extra IQ points might be a problem. I feel lucky to have the few I've got. I took the advice and laid a sectional out on the break room table at the office yesterday. Lowe and behold - I did get several questions I couldn't answer. I'll keep cramming until the end!

• Like 1

Have everything tabbed and highlighted. Hand write some missing stuff in the RFM. Highlight the charts that apply to your model.

Is this your initial rating or an add-on?

Need to run the whizwheel to make calcs?

Sounds like you'll do really well.

Be prepared for "coorelative" questions, after you spew the memorized text (how? When? and Why?). You'll get some scenarios to see if you can apply the concepts.

Make sure to really check the lights and guages...you'll get a light (governor)...don't miss it.

Ask in advance how he wants you to do carb heat...land and set, or will he help.

Watch your RPMs when you get the engine failure (and get the collective down fast and start your turn inot the wind right away).

Once you pick your field, he might try to suggest another spot to test you... stay committed.

Have a degrees C to F chart tabbed. Consider jotting dual degrees in your RFM charts.

If it's going bad...go around...don't force it...it will be worse if you do.

Rember to say Full Detent on lost TR auto scenario discussions.

Clear everything.

Thanks guys - all great advice. Flew 1.5 hrs yesterday in some gusty wind. I can fly it okay, but I struggle to make it look pretty. I used to hate wind, but now I consider it a rite of passage. I picked up my airport directory and fresh sectional yesterday.

Back to the books.

"Warning lights are out, RPMs are in the green, carb heat out of the yellow, gauges are in the green, manifold pressure is in limits, we've got plenty of gas - away we go!"

Thanks guys - all great advice. Flew 1.5 hrs yesterday in some gusty wind. I can fly it okay, but I struggle to make it look pretty. I used to hate wind, but now I consider it a rite of passage. I picked up my airport directory and fresh sectional yesterday.

Back to the books.

"Warning lights are out, RPMs are in the green, carb heat out of the yellow, gauges are in the green, manifold pressure is in limits, we've got plenty of gas - away we go!"

The Examiner I had and the way I was taught is to state fuel in time.. "1 hour 15 minutes of fuel"

Also ANY time below 18MP the carb heat had to be on.

Then extra IQ points might be a problem. I feel lucky to have the few I've got. I took the advice and laid a sectional out on the break room table at the office yesterday. Lowe and behold - I did get several questions I couldn't answer. I'll keep cramming until the end!

Don't forget that the chart has a legend....and you're allowed to look at it! Most of us make it harder than it should be.

PS, know the limitations of the R22, weights, speeds, etc....bring the R22 POH so you can refer to it if you need to.

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I received the dreaded 'pink-slip' after my check ride today due to a couple of infractions. I passed the couple of hours of written and oral okay. Pre-flight, run up, clearance to taxi went fine. Hover taxi - great, pre-takoff checks - and then the rolling take off without clearance from the tower to depart. I swear, I've never done that before. Bill caught me on the roll and I returned to my launch point. Headed out on my X-country and everything from there went fine - at least until I got to the run-on landing where I let the ship slide to the side of the runway instead of keeping her on the center line. Damn - x-country (sans GPS), autos, slope, patterns, various approaches and take offs, radio comms - everything was great. Even when he twisted the power off in flight, I did a (nice for me at least) auto to recovery.

So now, I've got to get an hour of instruction on running landings and fly about 70 miles to northwest Georgia to perform a running landing so I can give Bill his pink slip back. I know I made it past all of the hard stuff, but I still feel deflated after all the prep I put into today. Damn!

Good work, and CONGRATS! Don't feel so let down. Big hug from Little Red 22 for working so hard, and not OVER training! You could have paid for 10 more hours of flight training you didn't really need before your check ride.

You will love mastering the running landing, and I bet you never takeoff without a clearance again. :)

I was supposed to get my hour of training this past Saturday, but the weather was too bad. Now, the training is planned for this coming Saturday. My run-on landing retest is scheduled for Monday - a week from today. I hope the weather holds long enough for me get it done.

Thanks. It did suck, but I did get to ride shotgun in an R-44 with a huge bag of plastic Easter eggs in my lap. We flew over to Gainesville to drop the eggs at a kid's egg hunt. It was so windy that we ended up landing in an adjacent parking lot and laying the bags on the ground. By the looks on the kids' faces, they were way more impressed with the helicopter than with the eggs.

• Like 1