Medal of Honor recipient returns to active duty

Yes, a great commissioned officer coming back to AD to serve amongst a sea of turds undeserving of the commissions they hold. Stinks to high heaven.

You can tell the Army has taken a turn for the worst when more people in various forums are yapping about his haircut than are commending him for giving the Army a second shot after his command shat all over him for calling them out when they caused Soldiers and their local counterparts to die. That stinks quite badly as well.

• Like 5

Umm what stinks about it?

HRC is holding 2 boards as I write this to examine the files of 19,000 CPTs and MAJs. They're looking to throw up to 2,000 combat veterans out of the army.

Why discard all these experienced warfighters just to bring one back in? Politics. That's why it stinks. He chose to get out. The army has no recall to active duty programs in effect due to the drawdown. In the army, the needs of the one do not supersede the needs of the many.

If the MoH wasn't so overtly political I might feel differently, but unfortunately it's used to advance various politicians agendas more than it should be.

Yes, a great commissioned officer coming back to AD to serve amongst a sea of turds undeserving of the commissions they hold. Stinks to high heaven.

You can tell the Army has taken a turn for the worst when more people in various forums are yapping about his haircut than are commending him for giving the Army a second shot after his command shat all over him for calling them out when they caused Soldiers and their local counterparts to die. That stinks quite badly as well.

Love your attitude. The chip on your shoulder must make it hard to be around all of us scumbag RLO's.

Love your attitude. The chip on your shoulder must make it hard to be around all of us scumbag RLO's.

Not saying I hate RLO's, or that all Commissioned Officers are scumbags. I know many that I'd go to combat with anytime. I also know probably twice as many who I wouldn't trust to change a lightbulb.

CPT Swenson got out because he got screwed. And I mean royally. Have you ever requested assets while on the ground, only to be denied because some scumbag in a TOC who thought he knew more than you wanted to protect his own a$$ more than he wanted Soldiers to survive?

Swenson is a warfighter, and that's exactly who the Army needs to retain. Not REMF pretty boys who know how to play the politics. Warfighters. The Army righted a wrong, so CPT Swenson reconsidered. Yes he got back because the MoH is political. So what? The Officer Corps is better for it.

• Like 2

I think we are going slightly overboard with this. I'm sure he's a great officer. CPT Swenson clearly has no obligation to come back in the Army. I'd imagine that he has many opportunities offered to him in the civilian market making far more money than he could in the Army. That alone should say enough.

Oh and the hair thing, looks in regs to me. Mabye people should stop listening to their SMGs and start actually reading 670-1.

• Like 4

Not saying I hate RLO's, or that all Commissioned Officers are scumbags. I know many that I'd go to combat with anytime. I also know probably twice as many who I wouldn't trust to change a lightbulb.

You literally just rolled into this forum and started chucking hand grenades.

CPT Swenson got out because he got screwed. And I mean royally. Have you ever requested assets while on the ground, only to be denied because some scumbag in a TOC who thought he knew more than you wanted to protect his own a$$ more than he wanted Soldiers to survive?

Swenson is a warfighter, and that's exactly who the Army needs to retain. Not REMF pretty boys who know how to play the politics. Warfighters. The Army righted a wrong, so CPT Swenson reconsidered. Yes he got back because the MoH is political. So what? The Officer Corps is better for it.

Are you even in the Army?

I'd say unless you actually know the CPT personally, his record and the detailed events surrounding his award, it's better not to take sides.

I've never been big on awards even one as high as the MOH. Sometimes it's right time right place and I'd expect any average service member to act accordingly. Salvatore Giunta said he was just a "mediocre" soldier. He just happened to be thrust into a situation where he was compelled to act.

I've got friends who brag about their AM with V device as if they did something that other aviators aren't up to. No, you just did your job. The fact that you were shot at has nothing to do with your courage or skills being greater than the average aviator. If anything it's the opposite. I know commissioned officers who bumped warrants on dangerous missions trying to get awards. It worked too. Even some of these DFCs in OEF / OIF have me shaking my head. Look at some of the previous wars and you'll read DFC write ups that truly define what "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight."

So, while I respect CPT Swenson's decision to return to active duty, I have no idea the details of his award since I didn't participate in the operation and I have no idea of his personal record prior to said operation. Just let HR determine if he warrants another shot on active duty instead of posting knee jerk reactions about an officer that none of us personally knows.

• Like 5

Sorry, how many medal of honors do all of you have on here?

And what's your point? Do you judge people by what awards they have? Do you think because we don't have an MOH we're incapable of earning one?

I met Mike Novosel years ago. I've read his book and know his story. I respect the man not because he was awarded the MOH but because he spend a great part of his life serving honorably in the military. If he was alive today I assure you he would say his actions in Vietnam were no different than any other Army Aviator that he served with. That's not being humble, that's just being honest. I'd expect any Army or Marine (for Hotdogs) Aviator to act just as Mike did in the operation that led to his MOH.

As I said, sometimes we're put into a situation just by happen stance. I know of very few people that when push comes to shove they would flee the scene of battle when they know they could have made a difference. You don't see many MOHs being awarded in OEF / OIF not because people weren't stepping up to the plate, there just weren't many operations that allowed such actions to be recognized.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 5

This situation sort of reminds me of the situation obtaining during/after the major drawdown we experienced after Vietnam. I've read about CPT Swenson's story (although I can't recall any specifics at this point) and I expect he will be treated the same as both Mike Novosels (both MoH winners, IIRC) and many other MoH recipients; he'll stay around for as long as he wants and likely get preference in assignments and promotions. I don't have a problem with that; the traits that force a soldier into the sort of situation that ends up being worthy of such an award usually also point to a good soldier whose traits the Army is wise to preserve, if they can.

That said, if this period is anything like the post-Vietnam era, no matter how brief, between armed conflicts it will not be the warriors, in general, who manage to remain in the ranks, but rather the careful career managers who look after themselves first. Some good warriors managed to stay in and have successful careers, but they were in the minority.

And with the changes in the Warrant Officer ranks, I wouldn't be surprised if this holds true for them and for senior NCOs as well. Good luck to you all.

• Like 2

This situation sort of reminds me of the situation obtaining during/after the major drawdown we experienced after Vietnam. I've read about CPT Swenson's story (although I can't recall any specifics at this point) and I expect he will be treated the same as both Mike Novosels (both MoH winners, IIRC) and many other MoH recipients; he'll stay around for as long as he wants and likely get preference in assignments and promotions. I don't have a problem with that; the traits that force a soldier into the sort of situation that ends up being worthy of such an award usually also point to a good soldier whose traits the Army is wise to preserve, if they can.

That said, if this period is anything like the post-Vietnam era, no matter how brief, between armed conflicts it will not be the warriors, in general, who manage to remain in the ranks, but rather the careful career managers who look after themselves first. Some good warriors managed to stay in and have successful careers, but they were in the minority.

And with the changes in the Warrant Officer ranks, I wouldn't be surprised if this holds true for them and for senior NCOs as well. Good luck to you all.

Novosel Jr. didn't get a MoH, his dad got it. Both great guys and army pilots worth emulating. Mr Novosel Sr. used to hang out at the Fort Rucker O Club on Friday evenings and share stories with us youngsters.

Self promoting careerist politicians will survive, warfighters will not.

Warriors don't usually last long in a peacetime army, I'm starting to understand that firsthand. That's part of why I don't support Swenson back in the active army, he's going to realize pretty fast that powerpoint slides and dog and pony shows aren't important once you've been shot (at).

• Like 1

Too bad Rucker doesn't even have an O club anymore :( I would imagine that a great deal of wisdom and experience would be passed at the hands of a few pints.

Well that sucks. That's where everyone would celebrate after aircraft selection. As said above, guys like Mike would hang out there and share war stories. Of course we didn't have any but he did. :)

Well that sucks. That's where everyone would celebrate after aircraft selection. As said above, guys like Mike would hang out there and share war stories. Of course we didn't have any but he did. :)

It's still there, kind of. The building, anyway last I was there. I can't say I ever went there other than to grab lunch, or meet people that used to go "when it was good". But there are no "O" Clubs in the Army anymore, to my knowledge.