FL Reserve vs. ARNG

Been dormant for too long on here. :ph34r:

A lot of you who I've conversed with in the past are now at Rucker. Took the route of getting my civilian life squared away first (degree, career etc.).

Now, I'm back with a vengeance. Currently, studying up for the SIFT since it seems the AFAST has gone out of style.

My question is for all the ARNG/USAR folks on here. What are the pros/cons of the ARNG vs. the USAR routes as well as the differences in the process?

I'm down here in FL and we have both.

• Like 2

Active Duty and ARNG is what I know. Friends of mine have switched from ARNG to USAR. Other have moved from USAR to ARNG.

The flavor of an ARNG aviation unit will vary greatly from state to state and AASF to AASF with in a state. Selection methods and criteria will vary as well.

Most AASF's are populated with a core group of people that have been there for years and some, decades. There are very strong bonds there, cliquish even. Connections play a huge part in the day to day life. Politics an be insane and mind-numbing. I can't speak to USAR units, but I imagine they could be the same.

ARNG is a State entity, USAR is a Federal entity.

As a 'Guardsman', you are owned by the Governor. If Big Army wants your unit, then they ask your Governor and he tells The Adjutant General (TAG, the 2 Star in charge of the Air&Army Guard in the state) to mobilize your unit and you go. Single soldier mobilizations are rare, and usually at the request of the individual. I am sure it could happen, but there are whole lot of hoops to jump through for that. Others here may be able to speak further on that.

As a Reservist, you can be individually selected and moved to a unit that needs your skill set. Case in point, I applied/interviewed for a USAR unit and was told that I would be picked up. Due to a civilian opportunity and severe frustration with the utter lack of concern and support with the paperwork processing, I politely refused the offer and moved on. A month later, every pilot in that USAR unit that had ever touched an Apache was re-assigned to a BN half way across the country. Some hadn't touched a -64 in a long time, but were transferred and deployed.

From the outside in, the USAR looks like you can move around the country much easier, meaning more potential for upward mobility. Good or Bad.

ARNG, from what I have seen, is a much smaller community with less potential from upward mobility. Good or Bad.

I can not speak to the USAR route to IERW, but in my state you are expected to enlist go to AIT and then are boarded for flight school. That way if you fail out, you can still serve the state.

We have an aviator assigned to flight school accessions as an additional duty. He takes your info, guides you through the process and sets up the board and SAAO interviews. Most of the work is on you.

Thanks for all of the info. Agreed. However, for now it'll have to be the ARNG or USAR routes. If I want to remain engaged at least. You would think an 8 hr drive to Rucker was the end of the world or something. :lol:

Any idea if there are more slots typically allotted to the USAR than the ARNG? I inquired recently and it appears the FY allotment is a closely guarded secret at least on the ARNG side.