GoM Hiring?

MilPilot

• 2 weeks later...

PHI is overloaded with new hire sic's. Multiple pilots covering the same spare aircraft. The few pilots that did upgrade from in house spend a lot of their hitch covering 206's and 407's since they're still current in them. A lot of pilots from in house are waiting to move up. During this last hiring spree for sic they went over a year hiring 4-8 sic pilots a month from outside with out upgrading any from with in. Now supposedly they're going start slowly upgrading from within

(2-4/mo) so they'll probably be hiring light ship guys to match who moves up.

I'd take light ship, but I'm still going to need them to lower the minimums a bit to what they were in September...

When I saw Tim Fanguy at Heli-Expo, he said about 15 hires a month, and indicated it wouldn't be slowing down.

• 1 month later...

If you are in the pool or not assigned to a contract, you may move to different bases during your hitch. If you are assigned to a contract, you will either stay offshore or return to the base. A few contracts may have you go to different bases during your hitch, but it usually a scheduled thing: like every Tuesday afternoon you will go to another base to do a crew change for the next morning and then return to your regular base. This generally goes for both light ships and IFR*.

*except the big birds never stay offshore.

Edited by helonorth

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone says they are. But it doesn't look that way to me.

Been trying to get on down there for over a year now with no luck. I'm an ATP but can't seem to get a return call or even an email. PHI is supposedly hiring but I hear their new hire classes are all full up till after the first of the year (seems odd since people come and go for various reason). ERA no longer has pilots slots listed. I have no idea what's up with RLC. But I'm sure it's not good.

Maybe someone can shed some light?

PHI probably has enough resumes from pilots with GOM experience. They have the Robbie Learning Center to draw from (I am a graduate) and the IFR pilots all come from the military or have previous GOM IFR time. I can tell you with almost certainty they don't have classes full for the next five or six months since they do not hire people and make them wait months to begin their training. And they sure aren't going to pay you in the meantime.

Seems like there's a fair number of guys trying to get out of the gulf and over to the EMS side, but now there's a 3 year wait before they'll let them switch operations. Looks like they have to either wait or quit. I don't know how that will affect the new hires...

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know anything about GOM companies hiring mechanics? I have never actually talked to anyone who has worked as a mechanic on a rig, which is what I'd like to do. I heard they pay pretty low actually for years of experience...

Does anyone know anything about GOM companies hiring mechanics? I have never actually talked to anyone who has worked as a mechanic on a rig, which is what I'd like to do. I heard they pay pretty low actually for years of experience...

1) PHI are a huge employer of A&P's, and they must be happy, because they all stay for decades and decades, despite being surrounded by those pesky pilot types, who keep @#!!grrrxxx breaking stuff as fast as the poor mechanics can fix 'em.

2) on the pay scale, as far as I know, they make very similar pay to pilots. Speaking as a Pilot who holds an A&P, and who has worked as a pilot-mechanic, but who knows his wrenching limitations... I think the PHI grease monkeys deserve every cent they make. It takes longer to train a good mechanic than a half decent pilot-type stick! A new hire mechanic at PHI serves a long training apprentice ship if you like, stretching over many years.

They now wish to be known as Aircraft Maintenance Technicians. That's what we all call 'em.

We don't say "Grease Monkeys" anymore.

Much.

:D

Edited by Francis Meyrick

• 4 months later...

How's the hiring going at the moment? Or has it pretty much shutdown?

PHI is not hiring now. They've been under a hiring freeze since late last year. No indication they'll be hiring any time soon. I can't speak for any other operators in the Gulf.