Kiowa Divestment MILPER

MILPER Message Number 14-141

IN ORDER TO MEET THE ARMY'S CONGRESSIONALLY MANDATED DIVESTITURE OF THE OH-58D HELICOPTER, AVIATION PROPONENCY (AP) AND HUMAN RESOURCES COMMAND (HRC) HAS ESTABLISHED A TRANSITION POTENTIAL PANEL TO PRIORITIZE PRIMARY AIRCRAFT TRANSITIONS BASED ON WARRANT OFFICER POTENTIAL FOR CONTINUED AVIATION SERVICE. AIRCRAFT TRANSITIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED STARTING IN FISCAL YEAR (FY) 2015 THROUGH COMPLETION IN FY 2019 IN SUPPORT OF THE DIVESTMENT OF THE OH-58D HELICOPTER

Well, that is a kick in the nuts to some good dudes out there...

• Like 2

Shiza. Well, I know a dude who flew 58s and within the last year he has transitioned to 60s. For whatever it's worth, I think the aviator transition started a while back.

• Like 1

Shiza. Well, I know a dude who flew 58s and within the last year he has transitioned to 60s. For whatever it's worth, I think the aviator transition started a while back.

It started a while back for those with the foresight to get off the sinking ship before it was too late. It sounds like now the transitions will be decided by a competitive board instead of a 4187. It remains to be seen how competitive that board will be, but this is an Army cutting out almost 50% of its warrant officers eligible for promotion because there's not enough room in a higher rank, a position where the cap is purely administrative. How much room do you think there will be for pilots trying to transition into a position that's physically limited by available aircraft? This is going to cut a lot of careers short.

• Like 1

While signing my contract at MEPS earlier this week, I noticed a sticky note on the liaisons monitor that said "Discontinue Use of MOS 15J and 15S" (58 Repairer and Armament). Yet the other guy that was with me was convinced we was going to fly 58's. Feel kinda sorry for him actually. What's sad is that our guard unit only has two 58's and their both C models.

I'm sorry to hear this but, the writing has been on the wall for a while now. The bitter truth is, we just don't need all the pilots and aircraft on AD. Is the 58 community taking the biggest hit? Yes they are. But everyone is going to be cut in the next few years. We have more helicopters and pilots than we know what to do with. The way I see it, everything happens for a reason and getting out of the Army isn't a death sentence. That being said, the amount of commitment that these guys and gals put into the Army should yield them a chance at staying in. But, we all know the promotion and retention system in army aviation is broken, schools, tracking and OERs is all manipulated by commands and HRC and so now, aircraft transitions as well. Do you think the 58 community will release their tracked guys? Their stellar performers,? It's doubtful.

Transition courses are always hard to come by if you're on active duty, the army doesn't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars just because you don't like flying xxx and want to fly yyy. Our training pipeline just isn't that big unfortunately.

It does sound like the Senate is pushing back on this 58 divestment plan, but who knows what the end result of that will be.

My advice to anyone in the army right now: update your resume, finish your degree, and network. If you get to stick around until retirement, consider yourself lucky, but always be ready to punch out and move to the real world. There's a world of cool flying jobs out there and schools that will gladly take your GI BIll money, you have more options than you may think.

• Like 2

That's jacked up on so many levels.

That's why I roll my eyes every time I hear someone claim "Needs of the Army first." When the needs of the Army is to reduce personnel and you're cut with 14 years TIS are you going to be happy about doing your part to help out? The Army does just fine putting its own needs first. If the needs of your career aren't at least a 1B consideration nobody's going to be looking out for you.

• Like 1

Aviation is all about timing... I do hope with retirements and folks who want to get out make space for guys who want to stay in and retire themselves. I wonder what the game will look like in the next 10 years...?

I just got f*cking lucky. I am now rated on three aircraft and am a midgrade CW2. I hope all my 58 buddies get what they want....

They are fooling themselves if they think they will. I am checking all the blocks for the board and think I have a good chance at a transition but I do not believe there are enough slots even for the guys that stack up well. There are just too many good dudes to rate. It's going to come down to chance. We'll see but I wont be surprised if I'm looking for a new job in a year or so.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Then the question comes, why is the Army even training new pilots ? They shut down Ocs... I'd assume they would do the same for Woft considering the circumstances.

What kind of qualifications are they looking for to transition?

Then the question comes, why is the Army even training new pilots ? They shut down Ocs... I'd assume they would do the same for Woft considering the circumstances.

What kind of qualifications are they looking for to transition?

If I had to guess I'd say it's because the cost to shut down training altogether would be higher than just scaling it back. Creep also brings up a good point of maintaining a fresh supply of pilots to spread experience out.

As for what they are looking for, the MILPER is all we know. At this point all we can do is make ourselves look as good as possible on paper. There is a lot of speculation but none of it is supported by anything official.

Got this from a buddy who flies Kiowas. Looks like the Army is letting dudes out with no issues if they want it:

"Unqualified resignation with adso waivers."

Got this from a buddy who flies Kiowas. Looks like the Army is letting dudes out with no issues if they want it:

Saw that coming. It's a win/win for the Army. They reduce the manpower numbers through volunteer separation and they avoid the "I got screwed" backlash.

We called Mr. Brown and asked about this and he said you can apply but it's for guys within 2 years of completing their ADSO.

Edited by SBuzzkill