Kiowa Divestment MILPER

Like Buzz said NVG is a good visibility duty. If your stuff is squared away it'll look good for an OER. Just like if it's a disaster it'll look bad on a OER as well. In my last unit our NVG guy was fired because the goggles were a mess. Got a new junior CW2 PI to take over and it was like night and day.

I didn't envy the supply guys but that's an additional duty that could easily get you a top block. Probably the most important additional duty out there. A lot of times those guys sacrifice flight hours to make sure our supply system was in good order.

Any duty you get, just make sure you've got a good pass down from the previous owner and a solid continuity binder. Try and make it better than it was before you got it and you'll do fine. Just don't let it affect your aviation studies.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 4

Absolutely. It's a challenge sometimes to keep your additional duties from distracting you from flying. It's your job to prioritize tasks and use the time you have when you're not on the flight schedule as efficiently as possible. You have to make those hard calls on whether or not you will be able to accomplish your mission with the time/resources you are given and come up with a solution if it's not going to work.

So back to the thread topic: did anyone else see the new Recall to Active Duty MILPER? Looks like the army is seeking CW2/CW3 from the reserves to come back on active duty. I saw 152H but there were other MOS's as well. This must be HRC's way to replace the 58D pilots on the cheap.

Cliffs notes: "Don't worry, this board isn't about who we want to get rid of, it's about who we want to keep."

In other words, pack yer sh*t and gtfo. The army would be amusing if the mission weren't so important.

Cliffs notes: "Don't worry, this board isn't about who we want to get rid of, it's about who we want to keep."

Yea. I like the double speak. The board does what all boards do. Retain people. The Army managed a way to reduce CWO ranks and ditch an aircraft, all at the same time.

And it will f**k over good dudes, like it always does.

There are some really, really good dudes (and dudettes) over in the Kiowa community and it makes me mad knowing there's a good chance they're not going to keep their jobs. Even if they do keep them, some of my buddies have confided in me that they're worried about promotions having to start over as a PI in an entirely new airframe and mission set. Imagine starting from the bottom at your units but only as a senior CW2, CW3, or CW4 ... granted, you have a plethora of knowledge and experience to take with you, but it's gotta be a pain.

I also wonder how this is going to affect the low-time civilian pilots, instructing their way through the trenches of limited students and low pay, looking to get that first commercial turbine job. There is going to be a lot of single-engine, Bell 206 qual'd pilots flooding the job market...

Edited by zVo

I know of a student in the UH-60 course right now. He had originally selected 58's. After 16 hours of flying them he was pulled and put into the 60 course. He is upset that he has to fly 60's because he really wanted to fly 58's.

Talk about naïve. He has no idea the stroke of luck he just got.

• Like 5

There are some really, really good dudes (and dudettes) over in the Kiowa community and it makes me mad knowing there's a good chance they're not going to keep their jobs. Even if they do keep them, some of my buddies have confided in me that they're worried about promotions having to start over as a PI in an entirely new airframe and mission set. Imagine starting from the bottom at your units but only as a senior CW2, CW3, or CW4 ... granted, you have a plethora of knowledge and experience to take with you, but it's gotta be a pain.

I also wonder how this is going to affect the low-time civilian pilots, instructing their way through the trenches of limited students and low pay, looking to get that first commercial turbine job. There is going to be a lot of single-engine, Bell 206 qual'd pilots flooding the job market...

I'm a W3 that did an interstate transfer recently... I'm feeling that "starting at the bottom" thing. I haven't flown in almost 6 months. Sigh.

I heard from a friend last week, that the exact thing happened at PHI recently. A bunch of -58 folks from Lewis, or something.

We must have different definitions of 'brand new' then. I did get to take delivery of some new Lakotas at the factory and fly them cross country, funny how new aircraft seem to leak where they aren't supposed to leak.