Follow on ALSE course

Eh,

It's a shitty additional duty, other than that it's just another course. You may show up to a unit that already has plenty of alse people.

Why is it so bad?

Why is it so bad?

"Hey, my ALSE gear is due for inspection today -- please do all the inspections and paperwork immediately because I have a flight in 2 hours and I can't fly with expired gear."

I'm not an ALSE officer, but it's something I observe on a regular basis.

"Hey, my ALSE gear is due for inspection today -- please do all the inspections and paperwork immediately because I have a flight in 2 hours and I can't fly with expired gear."

I'm not an ALSE officer, but it's something I observe on a regular basis.

Hey if your ALSE office was ever open then we wouldn't have to wait until the last minute....

OR....you could maintain a spreadsheet tracking when your aviators' gear is due for inspection and proactively find them and head off the whole problem.

• Like 1

Hey if your ALSE office was ever open then we wouldn't have to wait until the last minute....

OR....you could maintain a spreadsheet tracking when your aviators' gear is due for inspection and proactively find them and head off the whole problem.

Your post just reinforces why no one would ever want to be a ALSE officer.

I've seen ALSE done well and I've seen it done poorly. Being proactive and disciplined can help the unit and help a career, were I a young WOJG I'd volunteer for ALSE. Then I'd be in the commander's office weekly to ask if there was anything he needed from the ALSE office.

• Like 1

Do we expect the IPs to come to us and tell us it's time for our APART, or ACT-E too? TACOPS to come tell us to do our CBAT and ROC-V? Someone to tell you that you're about to bust your NVG currency? I could go on, but at what point do we expect a professional aviator to take a personal responsibility for their requirements?

• Like 3

Do we expect the IPs to come to us and tell us it's time for our APART, or ACT-E too? TACOPS to come tell us to do our CBAT and ROC-V? Someone to tell you that you're about to bust your NVG currency? I could go on, but at what point do we expect a professional aviator to take a personal responsibility for their requirements?

Being a pilot=personal responsibility.

You're 1000% correct. ALSE officers should post their hours of availability and stick to them. If your commander has to chase you down to get his gear inspected it will create drama. OR you could maintain a tracker and do inspections before they become problems. I've seen it done both ways.

You'd be suprised dude...

I know what you mean, probably so. Being a pilot 'should' = personal responsibility (I use that term loosely), or you're likely looking at a short career, at best.

post-43092-0-74063200-1404414952_thumb.jpg

After almost a yr. of this plane sitting in a hanger in ND, guy flies to TX to have plane painted, reports equipment/engine malfunctions prior to arrival. He couldn't tune to the new tower freq. due to his sh*t radios. After his plane is ready, decides to depart early morning in IMC to avoid delta airspace. He made it to about 1000' before loosing an engine, freaking out, banking into the dead engine, rolling inverted, and sticking it nose first.

The plane looked good for about a day after getting painted though, I found a nice professionally done charred picture of it from the paint shop in the wreckage, which was weird. Obviously, this person (you can see him under the white sheet, top right) does not fit my definition of PR.

• 1 year later...

My strongest WOOD guidance to he WOs; take every, single course of instruction offered you, even seek some out, even if it's not a field or track that interests you. Somewhere down the line in your career it will benefit you.

I received that same advice some 26 years a go, and it's helped me out far beyond the amount of effort it took to choke the courses down.

Mike-

• Like 3