MEDEVAC Follow-on Course?

Is there any way to guarentee that you will get a MEDEVAC position when you report to your unit post flight school? I've heard that there's a voluntary additional skill course that can be taken at Rucker that can significantly increase your chances. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless they've changed things in recent years, you won't even know what duty station you're going to until just after aircraft selection day. None of that has anything to do with a pin point. They're sending you to a battalion. They'll decide where to send you based on company needs.

Talked directly to med svc corps branch manager about becoming 67J. It's basically impossible on the active duty side unless you're already med svc or an aviator. I'm trying to go Warrant because the selection board for officers doesn't meet until September. I'll be promoted to CPT prior to then(requires waiver), and have over 48 months active commissioned service (waiver required). One of my LoRs used to command flight school and said in the current Army any waivers hurt your chances at selection even if they're approved. Warrant is my best shot at getting into a bird

• Like 2

Unless they've changed things in recent years, you won't even know what duty station you're going to until just after aircraft selection day. None of that has anything to do with a pin point. They're sending you to a battalion. They'll decide where to send you based on company needs.

Thanks for the info!

One thing to keep in mind is that just because you don't get your dream job (MEDEVAC) after flight school, doesn't mean you can't work it out later at that post. There're are sometimes pilot shake ups that happen within the BDE. You might show up and be assigned some air assault company only to be sent over to GSAB or a MEDEVAC company in a couple years. A lot of this sort of thing happened during the past decade or so when a company would come back from deployment over manned and looking to shed some of that excess. Even a few cases of units being disestablished and the pilots being divided up into other units.

So give it time and things will change. When it comes to assignments you just have to have an open mind and be flexible. I've known only a few people that were able to stay MEDEVAC their whole careers. Personally it's not something I'd want to do right out of flight school but to each his own.

Personally it's not something I'd want to do right out of flight school but to each his own.

It's not something anyone should do right out of flight school, and I say that as someone who only wanted Medevac. Get some hours first.

• Like 1

There's plenty of old posts about medevac on these forums. Med isn't flying at all, they aren't even doing Conus medevac due to all the life flight contracts.

You want to be a medevac pilot?

Get 2000 hours and do it for real when you retire. Or join the gaurd.

• Like 1

Nope. We provided fire fighting support during the forest fires last year (Bambi bucket) and we worked with NG during the Boulder, CO floods last year (rescued and/or hoisted over 1000 people). In addition we have the post MEDEVAC mission and have done several search and rescues functions over the past year.

My experience with MEDEVAC has been tremendous. I have buddies in the Assault Battalion and they hate it. They don't have a real mission. Everyone's experience varies though. I do know I have exceeded my semi annual mins by a large amount and that I fly more then my peers in other companies.

• Like 1

Nope. We provided fire fighting support during the forest fires last year (Bambi bucket) and we worked with NG during the Boulder, CO floods last year (rescued and/or hoisted over 1000 people). In addition we have the post MEDEVAC mission and have done several search and rescues functions over the past year.

My experience with MEDEVAC has been tremendous. I have buddies in the Assault Battalion and they hate it. They don't have a real mission. Everyone's experience varies though. I do know I have exceeded my semi annual mins by a large amount and that I fly more then my peers in other companies.

Good for you, it's awesome to hear a success story coming out of med because there aren't a lot of them. Most of the people I've met in the MED are struggling for flight hours.