31 replies to this topic

#21 Jaybee

Jaybee

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:26

Yea if it was like 10 hours in a Skycrane or a Huey I would take vacation myself. Ride hops in a 44, no.
  • Falko likes this
"In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks." — Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900. 

"The foot rests have a profound impact on the outcome of today's flight ending safely" - My flight instructor.

#22 Pohi

Pohi

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:40

I understand your point of view, Jaybee. Each person has to figure out what is worth their time and what isn't. I see this as an opportunity for someone to get some valid experience for free, rather than paying someone $300+ an hour to ferry their aircraft to somewhere it was already going to go.

I'm not going to give anybody crap about offering to give people free time in their aircraft, even if it's 3 min at a time for two weeks. Who knows, maybe the owner will get confidence in the pilot after a few days and send them out on their own the rest of the week, or next time they are doing rides has the pilot do it by themselves and pays them. Or, maybe you simply make a good friend (who happens to own a helicopter).

I believe that opportunities are made, and something small can be built up into something bigger.
  • Jaybee likes this

#23 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:40

Heck when I was doing instructing in FW we would give rides on the weekends and I still got lunch and $10 a flight for laps in a 172.  but again, I enjoyed it and wasn't actually doing it for the money.  

Edited by Flying Pig, 13 August 2014 - 11:41.

#24 Jaybee

Jaybee

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 20:34

I understand your point of view, Jaybee. Each person has to figure out what is worth their time and what isn't. I see this as an opportunity for someone to get some valid experience for free, rather than paying someone $300+ an hour to ferry their aircraft to somewhere it was already going to go.

I'm not going to give anybody crap about offering to give people free time in their aircraft, even if it's 3 min at a time for two weeks. Who knows, maybe the owner will get confidence in the pilot after a few days and send them out on their own the rest of the week, or next time they are doing rides has the pilot do it by themselves and pays them. Or, maybe you simply make a good friend (who happens to own a helicopter).

I believe that opportunities are made, and something small can be built up into something bigger.

First thanks for the civil response  :)

I just don't see how in my experience with giving tour rides (which is not the end all be all... ) that he couldn't afford to pay. The company I work for works a county fair once a year. They clean up. I have a real hard time believing anyone gives ride hops at the fair and can't afford to pay someone. I guess its possible but as I said I don't believe it. It is easier for me to believe they are taking advantage of a situation ( a needy pilot ) to further their profit margin. I say this knowing it is possible I am wrong but I doubt that I am.  :blink:   :P   ;)

"In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks." — Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900. 

"The foot rests have a profound impact on the outcome of today's flight ending safely" - My flight instructor.

#25 NatHelSol

NatHelSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 20:48

Ahh, now that I e gone through 20+ emails of interested individuals...

I'll explain.

There's a lot of truth in just about everybody's responses.

I'll explain my angle.

1. I could do all 96 hours in September myself.
(In TX heat I'd be dead by October)

2. There are pilots who transition from FW to helicopters and don't even have the hours to instruct with their brand new CFII. (200)
(I expected more emails from these types)

3. Does anybody have a clue what adding a 200-300 hour pilot to a helicopter policy that had aerial hunting coverage?
(Hint: It's a lot)

4. If someone needs or desires flight time, and I have a job in which they realistically can fly, they can have the hours. (3 minute hops can be done by just about any commercial helicopter pilot, unless they're large in size)

5. I'm expanding - and like many have mentioned, the guy or girl that I have come down will be the first name I go to.

All that being said, check out the websites. Like our facebook page.

For anyone that's curious - one of the very first 2 or 3 people to email me got the gig.

I could've had 1,000 hour plus pilots with worlds of knowledge experience blah blah blah...

I chose someone with far less than that. I chose based on resume content and the time they took in their email.

I got a lot of - "hey I want the free flight time" emails.

But I also got one that took the opportunity for what it was and approached me professionally.

I get all kinds of people wanting to fly for me. Some have 200 hours, some have 2,000.

www.HeliHogHunt.com

www.NationalHelicopterSolutions.com
  • d10 likes this

#26 Jaybee

Jaybee

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 21:13

2. There are pilots who transition from FW to helicopters and don't even have the hours to instruct with their brand new CFII. (200)
(I expected more emails from these types)

3. Does anybody have a clue what adding a 200-300 hour pilot to a helicopter policy that had aerial hunting coverage?
(Hint: It's a lot)

Since I was being critical, I'll reply.

2 - I started giving Helicopter tours with 100 rotorcraft hours in the logbook.

3 - Policies can be written with exclusions. A Named Insured is always best route. It help when you have a kick ass broker. It helps when you get the personal endorsement of someone that the insurance broker trusts completely. Aside from that, a "checkride" by the Chief Pilot will satisfy most brokers for having a Named Insured with exclusions.

All that said, yes to bring someone on board for only the ride hops at the fair is an involved process that quite frankly wouldn't be worth most peoples times. So for that, props to you.

#27 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 21:27

The "chosen one" has been, well, chosen? Guess that means I didn't get it, damn! Oh well. Maybe wolf got it?

Edited by eagle5, 13 August 2014 - 21:27.

• NatHelSol likes this

#28 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Mildly experienced stick wiggler/rookie expert

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:49

Wasnt me... i inquired but was off at another interview this week and didnt want to commit to something I may have had to back out of. Congrats to whom ever did get it! They should have some fun flying excited peeps about for a few days and add a few hours to their log book in the process.
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#29 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:50

Did that interview at Chippendales pan out like you hoped it would?
  • aussiecop likes this

#30 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 18:25

Wasnt me... i inquired but was off at another interview this week and didnt want to commit to something I may have had to back out of. Congrats to whom ever did get it! They should have some fun flying excited peeps about for a few days and add a few hours to their log book in the process.

When he "liked" my post I figured that meant you got it? Maybe he just liked that it wasn't me who got it? :D

Edited by eagle5, 14 August 2014 - 18:26.

#31 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Mildly experienced stick wiggler/rookie expert

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:04

I like lots of posts here...it suits me better that way...notice I tend to watch more than type...keeps me learning vs looking ignorant! :D

Flying Pig....they left me hangin for a few more days..so cant say for sure just yet but will when I can. Either way the trip out was awesome, and I gained a lot from it. They were stand up guys the whole way and it was nice being considered anyway you slice it.
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#32 droyalties

droyalties

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 17:00

I am kicking myself in the butt for not seeing this post while I was in Richmond flying rice pollination.  I would have been more than happy to fly the R44 in between flying the fields.  I appreciate the opportunity your giving to low hour pilots.  Thanks Thaddeus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, job, helicopter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BLR Gen 200Spectrum_VRGeneral468HeliHelmetsLakeSuperiorGeneral200Guidance General 200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200FreeFlight_General200Genesys VRForum200_General