Question right before aircraft selection

Every mention of a requirement that applies when "more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft" is followed by "or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted." AR 95-1 requires two pilots for aircraft when the operator's manual specifies two pilots as the minimum crew.

You could also make life easier by showing up to your unit and being like "I'm a civilian CFI, you can sign me off as PC immediately."

• Like 1

Every mention of a requirement that applies when "more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft" is followed by "or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted." AR 95-1 requires two pilots for aircraft when the operator's manual specifies two pilots as the minimum crew.

You could also make life easier by showing up to your unit and being like "I'm a civilian CFI, you can sign me off as PC immediately."

Haha I'm definitely not pulling that card. Your first point is a good one. Must have missed that.

You may be overthinking it a little. :-) When I retired I simply counted all my PI time in an Apache as SIC time for civilian logging purposes. I have since been hired by three separate employers and none of them were the least bit interested in SIC time. Was never even mentioned in interviews. The only numbers that mattered were total time, PIC time, instrument time, and in one case multi-engine time was important and in another instance Night and NVG were important. Frankly, in all three instances neither of these employers even looked at my log book although I had my logbooks and DA 759 with me to back up the hours listed on my resume. Further, in taking my ATP checkride and type rating checkride in the S-92, SIC time was a non-issue.

Awesome, thank you for the input! And with the E model Apache IFR time will actually be a thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, with the E model Apache folks will no longer be able to make fun of Apache pilots for not flying instruments much! Haha.

But seriously, we still had to take an instrument APART just like everyone else, and we did fly instruments in the LCT. I was an IE (and still a CFII) and when I gave an instrument APART ride it typically consisted of holding, NDB approaches, PAR's, and practice RNAV approaches in VFR (our GPS was not IFR certified, but my understanding from folks I know who fly the E is that the current GPS in it isn't certified either, but it will be certified in the not too distant future). The aircraft was restricted from IMC flight, but we still needed to be able to fly instruments in the event of going IIMC. I certainly didn't get my weather time flying Apaches. It all came later in other jobs. But as I said, that won't be an issue going forward for Apache pilots.

• Like 1

I wouldn't assume E-models will be getting much of an increase in IFR time. It's still not relevant to the Apache's mission and the culture will take much longer to change than the aircraft's capabilities. There's a significant percentage of UH-60 pilots who consider instruments an EP, how long do you think it will be before old 64 SPs will brief anyone to take an aircraft into planned IMC?