AF to WOFT?

Hey guys, I'm trying to do a bit of research on this program I heard about from one of my pilots on the flight line the other day. Just a little background info on me; I'm currently serving in the Air Force (2 years deep on a 6 year commitment), and an E3, sewing E4 on in March of 2015. I work as a Crew Chief on F-15s, not sure if that term transfers over to what the Army guys call it, but basically I'm a mechanic. I want to fly more than anything, but I was forced to drop out of college prior to joining the AF due to my father going into horrible health.

I was talking to one of my pilots the other day, and he mentioned the "Blue to Green" Program, and said he wasn't sure, but he thought I could use that to apply for the WOFT Program as well. I could be completely off base, and not even qualify for any of these. But this seemed like the best way for me to be able to fly without waiting, and wasting time by going through flight school first. Most of the stuff I've read applies to civilians, or Army AD. Does anyone have any advice, or links to relevant articles?

Also, if it's relevant, I scored a 92 on my ASVAB when I came in, and I got near perfect mechanical (can't recall the exact score). I also have 90+ on both PT scores, but have never gone up for a flight physical, since it's not needed for my job. I don't have anything particular derogatory on my record, and I am family to a retired Col (pilot) and LT Col, and am family friends with a retired state senator, all of which I planned on asking for letters of recommendation. What else can I do to forward myself, and better my chances?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

The Blue to Green program won't help you, but there is a process to take enlisted Air Force into the Army's WOFT program. If you read this forum you'll find the answers to most of your questions, and even a few active posters who have done and/or are in the process of doing what you want to do.

• Like 2

We had about 9 guys cross over from the AF in my WOCS class. It is a gigantic cluster f*** but it is very doable.

If you are serious, PM me and I will see if I can put you in contact with one of them

You don't happen to know any AD Marines that made the switch do you?

There's a couple of Marines, but I think they were both IA/Reserves. Ill check. There are more around B CO I just don't know them personally.

Thanks, I have talked to a lot of Marines on here, but none that have made the switch in recent years, or they have but are not AD.

There's a couple of Marines, but I think they were both IA/Reserves. Ill check. There are more around B CO I just don't know them personally.

Are you friendly Ranger guy who I talked to in Honors the other day?

• Like 1

I transitioned from the USAF to the Army last September. The whole packet being cross service is a huge pain in the as* .

What you can do for yourself now.. Get ALS done if it's not done. (not sure if I read if your guard). Get your ASVAB score converted. I never understood how recruiters can say you made a xx%.. Anyway your general score needs to be 110 minimum...key word.. minimum. After that, take the SIFT. Study for it. Then do your flight physical. Following that you should be able to know if the army will even take you. Start the packet on the W.O. recruiting page. You need letters from an Army W-4 or W-5 to be competitive for your Aviation letter. You need a letter from your Squadron Commander as well as your Ops Group / Operations support group commander. (Depending on who you fall under). Practice the Army PT test and shoot for a 260 or greater. The USAF test just doesn't really even give you a warm fuzzy. It's amazing what that last half mile will feel like. Also Army sit-ups suck so practice those as well. This forum is pretty knowledge heavy. Message me if you have questions. I'm about to be done with BWS so I might have some free time for the next few weeks.

People are going to tell you "NO" a lot. Get used to it or they are going to say "oh that's the Army.. I can't help you." This is where it comes down to how bad do you really want ithis.. I researched the whole flight physical through army regs. and translated them to almost Air Force language and then explained this to a Lt. Col on how to give me the flight physical. No one will do the work for you unless you come prepared with resources in hand, pre highlighted for them to make it easy. Hand them a blank stack of papers and expect them to do the research.. ya it will never get done. Good Luck!

Alex

• Like 1