Demand for Older Helicopters (Bell and Eurocopter)

helicopta

Hi everybody, I'm researching the helicopter industry and I'm trying to better understand the long-term demand for a few different types of older helicopters. Is the need for these older helicopters expected to increase or decrease over the next 5-10 years? If so, why? There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts that you all have.

Bell 206 (1978-1988)

Eurocopter AS 350 (1989-1996)

Bell 212 (1975)

Bell 214ST (1984)

Eurocopter AS 330 Puma (1977-1978)

Thanks so much for the help!

Chris

• Like 1

AS350 and B212 yes

B206 maybe... will probably start to see more people move away from the old airframes, and on to the newer competition models (new Jet Ranger, as well as R66) and/or slightly larger machines like the AS350

That's my guess at least based on what is happening up here in the utility sector in Canada

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated. I'd like to clarify, to make sure I properly understand...

Eagle5 – how have these helicopters been replaced by the R22? The R22 was first produced in 1979 so its been around for awhile too. I’m trying to understand how the R22 could negatively impact the demand for these other aircraft over the next 5-10 years relative to current demand, has something recently changed?

Adam32 – yes, meaning demand is likely to increase for the first three and no, demand is likely to decrease for the last two?

Lelebebbel – yes, meaning demand for the AS350 and B212 is likely to increase?

Has anything changed recently that would make any of these helicopters obsolete over the next 5 to 10 years?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 206 will not be an economic choice in 5-10 years. It's already verging on being a 'classic' similar to the Bell 47 series in the '70s.

What will be it's (the 206's) economic replacement ?

What will be it's (the 206's) economic replacement ?

Not sure if the R66 will "replace" the 206 due to the 500 lb max gross weight difference, but it is a little more economical to operate. Definitely a good seller (over 500 since certification).