The Flight School Journey

So I've been on this journey for over 2 years now, including the time when I started my packet. I started my packet in June 2012, got selected in November 2012, started BCT in May 2013, and I'm now getting ready to start AQC for the UH-60. I remember trying to find out as much information as I could from the time I started my packet until now. I wanted to know what to expect, what others have experienced, how long will it take, tips, tricks, advice and anything else I could find out. Obviously this forum has a wealth of information, but I remember reading a few blogs that followed people on their journey through flight school and I really enjoyed reading about the experiences they had. So, I started a blog to hopefully help other people that will be going through the process. I don't consider myself to be a good writer, and I definitely don't consider myself a "blogger" so I don't know if it's "good" or not, but hopefully it helps somebody. And if not, at least I can look back someday and reminisce. Haha.

Anyway, here it is if anybody is interested. Street to Seat: Becoming a US Army Helicopter Pilot

I'm in the process of updating it. I started it about a year ago, and got a little behind. With this break in training, I'm getting caught up to where I am in training right now.

• Like 7

Just curious, what are good? and average? times for the 10k ruck at WOCS?

Hmmm...I don't really remember. I'm pretty sure you need 93 minutes or better to pass, and if I remember correctly we had at least 1 guy in the 50's.

Oh Cmonnnn, not going to write anything about SERE?! :ph34r:

In all seriousness, very cool reading!

Haha, that's actually going to be my next post. Obviously, since it's a "secret level" course, I won't post any G2, but I will post my experience as best I can without divulging classified information. LOL

Lindsey, how many days from your enlistment date to your first flight? We all know of your battles with the recruiters throughout the years.

Well, I got "the call" that I was selected on September 17, 2013...my first day on the flight line is September 17, 2014 and my first flight is September 18. Pretty incredible timing, isn't it?

My first flight in a helicopter was September 20, 2009. It's a good month for me.

• Like 1

Well, I got "the call" that I was selected on September 17, 2013...my first day on the flight line is September 17, 2014 and my first flight is September 18. Pretty incredible timing, isn't it?

My first flight in a helicopter was September 20, 2009. It's a good month for me.

That's awesome!

March is my month. I got my PPL March 17, 2009, CPL March 17, 2010 and my first flight in the Army was on March 31, 2014. I'm scheduled to finish flight school in March 2015

• Like 4

Updated with SERE and Primary while I was on break before starting UH60s.

On a side note, Blackhawks are badass! I haven't even flown one yet, but just learning about them and getting into the runup simulators has amazed me. The Army really does have some great airframes.

And now, back to studying B)

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 4

I went from 5OCT10 until like MAR11 to wait for BOLC.

God that was a long time ago. I remember my nickel ride, and just yesterday I flew a 47 for 5.8 hours on a ring route moving a ton of people as the PC with a staff captain as my PI.

Time flies.

• Like 4

I went from 5OCT10 until like MAR11 to wait for BOLC.

God that was a long time ago. I remember my nickel ride, and just yesterday I flew a 47 for 5.8 hours on a ring route moving a ton of people as the PC with a staff captain as my PI.

Time flies.

Well then, I'll count my blessings and look forward to awesomeness:)

• 2 years later...

Well, it seems like a few people headed over to check out my blog a few years back. I finally got around to finishing up the flight school part of it. And since the main group of users here seems to change a couple of times a year I thought I'd bump this back up for anyone else that might find it useful or entertaining.

Street to Seat: Becoming a US Army Helicopter Pilot

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 4