R22 crash & burn near Miami

KeysCapt

http://www.nbc6.net/news/3605489/detail.html

An R22 crashed in the Everglades, but although it was destroyed, the two occupants survived. This is the second major incident for Helicenter (not Heliflight) based at KTMB in the past year.

'Nuff said.

A little late to respond, cuz I'm in Torrance right now, but yeah, it was a practice auto, according to a DE I spoke to. No more info available at that time.

The rest of the story:

NTSB Identification: MIA04FA115

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Monday, August 02, 2004 in Miami, FL

Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta, registration: N2566W

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On August 2, 2004, about 0941 eastern daylight time, a Robinson R22 Beta, N2566W, registered to a private individual and leased to Helicenter International Academy, collided with terrain in the Everglades National Park, Miami, Florida. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 instructional flight. The helicopter was destroyed by impact and a post crash fire and the certified flight instructor (CFI) was fatally injured. The dual student sustained minor injuries. The flight originated about 0925 from the Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, Miami, Florida.

The student reported that the purpose of the flight was to become familiar with rotorcraft operations, and the flight duration was supposed to be approximately 20-30 minutes. Before departure, both fuel tanks were topped off. The CFI explained to him the preflight process and checked the flight controls during the preflight and also before starting the engine; no discrepancies were reported. The engine was started, and the flight departed to the west climbing to 500 feet mean sea. The flight continued westbound and after passing a radar ball located near "QEEZY" which is a fan marker and non-directional beacon, he noted the helicopter was descending and brought that to the CFI's attention who reported he was intentionally descending to 300 feet. While flying at that altitude at 60 knots, the CFI maneuvered the helicopter left and right then while flying northbound at 300 feet straight and level, the helicopter banked left and nosed down. The CFI responded several times with, "whats happening", and tried to recover. When the helicopter was close to the ground, he (student) closed his eyes and perceived the helicopter impacted the ground first with the left skid, but wasn't sure of the airspeed and couldn't recall the impact. Following the impact, he released the CFI's restraint and pulled him from the wreckage then called 911 using the CFI's cell phone. The student further reported he did not notice any change in engine sound from the time of takeoff to the moment the helicopter banked and rolled left. Rescue units arrived and both were transported to a hospital for treatment of their injuries.

It could be a lot of things.  This was a heck of an introductory flight for this guy, eh?  Closing his eyes probably saved his life by keeping his back straight against the seat and not anticipating (tensing more than he already was).  Remember, the survivor doesn't have the experience to discern any engine changes or anything.  So, I don't give a lot of credence to that part of the report.

He didn't say anything about low RPM horn, so that didn't happen or the warning horn malfunctioned.  I don't think low-G induced mast-bumping caused this, the main rotorblades are clearly intact and visible.  Not a lot of time to setup a proper auto at 300 feet, but the attempt was probably made.  Why was he so low and slow?

My guess?  The clutch light probably flickered, which is why the CFI kept saying, "what's happening?"  The first-time guy wouldn't realize or understand a light warning.  Eventually, the clutch may have failed or the belts completely broke off and the CFI entered auto.  He was already at 60 KIAS and 300 feet.  During his "what's happening" phase he probably slowed the aircraft further.

I've read accidents with similar clutch-dependant helicopters (300CBi) and most have had bad results with a partial-power emergencies.  Think about it... have YOU every practiced a partial-power emergency?  It's not required training.  Most of us are prepared for a COMPLETE failure of some time, so if you encounter a problem with engine power in the green it takes time to analyze because it's something you haven't practiced, right?

Simply reading the POH, which tells you to pull the clutch circuit breaker and be PREPARED to enter auto (not required to) doesn't do it.  I think these are things that need practice (simulated, of course - wouldn't screw with clutch in flight).

Lessons Learned (restated, actually):

1)  Maintain at least 600' AGL

2)  Enter a stable autorotation, THEN fix problem

Of course, this is all speculation and I could be completely wrong.  Condolensces to the family of the instructor... at least he passed doing something he probably loved.

Interesting info ... original reports were in reference to a practice auto, but of course that wouldn't be the case with a demo flight. Also had the CFI surviving, but he apparently succumbed later.