CFI Checkride Question

Tom22

Can somebody elaborate on what a CFI checkride would encompass if the applicant holds a current teacher certificate issued by a State valid to teach at the 7th grade or higher? Obviously, the FOIs are not required to be demonstrated by a professional educator with the aforementioned credentials per FAR 61.185. Would the checkride be parallel to a commercial checkride?

Edited by Tom22

You can expect a full checkride, the same as any other applicant. The flight instructor practical test isn't about how you can fly; it's presumed that you know how to fly an aircraft by the time you arrive at your instructor checkride. You're being tested on how you instruct in an aircraft. This will include how you explain, demonstrate, and evaluate a student, as well as your recognition of common errors, and the correction thereof.

You do not need to take the fundamentals of instruction knowledge test. You'll be required to know it and demonstrate it on the practical test, however, as it's elemental to teaching in an aircraft. You can expect to prepare and present a lesson plan, in whole or in part, explaining on the ground with props, whiteboard, etc, as well as answer a number of questions in the oral that are typically caged as a teaching moment. In other words, don't just tell me about translational lift, teach me about it. Don't just tell me about autorotation or wind correction on a cross country or your aircraft systems; teach me about it.

The same is true when seeking instructing positions. When I've picked up teaching work, I've been asked to show up to the interview prepared to teach a particular topic or subject; the last time I was told to show up with a powerpoint presentation on turbine engines and to teach a panel of instructors and administrators about construction and operation of turbine equipment. They were interested in whether I knew the subject material, but only in passing; if I didn't know it, then I had no business being there. What they really wanted to know was whether I could teach it; the fact that I've been an instructor for a long time is nice, but that doesn't tell them anything; they need to know for themselves, and that's the purpose of an interview, or a practical test. You may have been teaching in Junior High, but the examiner/inspector needs to know your capabilities before he signs off on you. It's his credibility on the line, too.

• Like 2

Keep in mind, whats required or not required, the DPE can test on any area during the practical test. To be observed as a CFI by the DPE, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to adapt and teach the subject matter to them...both accedemical knowledge as well as stick.

Teach not demonstrate is the focus.... However.. Teach per the book, not from the head. Show the DPE where in which book you are teaching from. POH, HFH, PHAK, IFH, FAR/AIM, or even a chief councel letter. My checkride was going horrible until it clicked..the DPE wanted me to say..per the POH the OGE limitation is... Vs,mwe know the limitaion is...

Students have their own books to reread at home...they dont have our heads to review at home.

After looking at FAR 61.185 again - It looks like a certified teacher is not required to receive and log ground training on the FOIs. That makes sense; I would imagine a professional educator possesses a mastery of Educational Psychology beyond FAA-H-8083-9A.

You would be correct, but it probably wouldn't hurt to get some instruction in it from your CFI. I wouldnt expect the DPE to just pass right over it either. I was already a FW CFI when I did my helicopter add on.... and my DPE didnt skip anything. We did it all.

Going over the FOI portion could also be a good place to learn about what the particular DPE in your area hits on and how they want the classes laid out when you present them. If you are at the level of going for your CFI.... a few hours going over the FOIs couldn't hurt. Not that you would need it all, but its not about education psych, its about how to teach helicopter classes to a student. How the lesson plans are laid out, how you want to proceed. Each one of my lesson plans was pretty much a script for my CFI audition. Again, I recall my FOI portion being more about how to teach classes to the DPE more than psychology. My RW instructor offered me a lot of insight and things to cue on during the check ride.

6 years ago I did my CFI check ride and I am a certified teacher. I did not take the FOI written but had to present a copy of my teacher certification.

I did not stress the FOI concept stuff but did look it over a few times. The DPE did ask how the terminology from my experience differed and also some of the other educational theory stuff related to it all.

But he did choose a bunch of lessons to see how well i knew this "new" information and could teach someone. He was also really good at letting me talk to much about it and then asking simple questions like "why".

Have a good plan for each lesson like stated above. I had reading assignments for each lesson, tons of pictures, links and youtube videos, and a test to be taken at home and gone over next time.

My memory of the time has faded but feel free to PM me and I can help you out as much as possible.

I was also teaching with Flight Sim in my middle school too. So got a lot of instructing in.

A fellow technology teacher in my county had even received grant money to build a helicopter with his students and private training paid for. New super came in and made the school get rid of it! Major loss for that district. Think it was a rotorway, built by middle school students.