What are my chances for WOFT? (Medical issue)

I am an active duty SPC, currently deployed and trying to get things in order to submit a WOFT packet when I get back. My issue, however, is that in fall of 2013 I was sent to an inpatient hospital for 3 and a half days for "severe depression." It was pretty much a precautionary measure because of some private issues I was going through, but it's still listed as that on my medical records. I was never put on any type of medication. I have since been cleared and and put on deployable status obviously so the army knows I am good to go.

In people's honest opinion, will this disqualify me during a flight physical? Do you think I'd need a waiver or are my chances pretty much slim to none?

In people's honest opinion, will this disqualify me during a flight physical? Do you think I'd need a waiver or are my chances pretty much slim to none?

You don't need anyone's opinion, it's spelled out in AR 40-501. Unfortunately, history of depression is a disqualifying condition for a flight physical, so you would need a waiver. I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you what the odds of getting one approved are, so I'd recommend USCav19D's advice.

I feel like a dream crusher here on this board lately. I don't want to be but reality is what it is. If you were an inpatient for severe depression you will have a huge hurdle to surmount. I have seen people removed from flight status, while deployed and in garrison, for simply trying to be honest and referencing that something bothered them or that they were mildly depressed/emotional. I don't know exactly what these folks said but I know they were good guys with no outward issues and were just trying to be honest about something minor. These were guys already in the cockpit (either as pilots or crew chiefs) and they were pulled in a heartbeat. If they'll pull current aviators that quick you can be assured that they'll be hesitant to bring a new one in.

To get a waiver and be selected after a history of inpatient treatment for severe depression (less than a year ago I might add), with it being spelled out as a disqualifying factor for a flight physical, is going to be a very long shot. Maybe not impossible, but there's reality.

• Like 1

K,

Even if a flight surgeon should miss the depression history in your medical records, there's a couple other factors at this point working against you.

I'm assuming you don't have any combat deployments, awards, etc which most SPCs don't. That will be a discriminator compared to your board peers.

The good news: you're young, If it's truly your lifelong dream, as I so often hear, come up with a 3-year plan to make yourself more marketable to a board, in addition to further distancing yourself from the depression episode, that matters to a flight surgeon who's might be on the fence for approving a waiver.

Get as much college as you can, volunteer for hard assignments and any that will put you in positions to demonstrate your leadership potential. Maybe even PCS to an assignment that may provide a deployment opportunity. All this may give a flight surgeon evidence that you are currently not affected by depression, and it was just an isolated incident.

Sound a lot of work and a pain in the a**? It is, but how much do you really want your dream. The side benefit is that along the way,a you also make yourself a pretty darn good Soldier.

"Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now".

Mike-

• Like 2

I have a friend who went through WOCS with me who had a similar issue. Something to do with a psychological issue he had when he was younger. He graduated WOCS but hit a brick wall when trying to attend SERE. After a few weeks in limbo and going to all sorts of appointments and getting waivers and whatnot he was finally able to continue. There was also another guy who had a similar issue who was DQ'd and sent home.

I'm not sure of the differences between them or if it was just luck of the draw or something but you never know until you try. Aviation gives out waivers for all sorts of things that are supposedly automatic DQ's. Not exactly sure HOW you get them or if its one of those "who you know" sort of things. But you never know until you try.

When I first tried to join the Army years ago I was PDQ'd for something at MEPS on the spot and sent home with no questions asked. I am a pilot now. Don't let them just flat out tell you NO. I'm not going to sit here and say if theres a will there's ALWAYS a way, but SOMETIMES there is. So give it a shot.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the replies and advice, it is very much appreciated. I am certainly going to do my best to make myself look better for the board. This coming April will mark 3 years TIS for me and I am trying to go to the board for E5 around then, as well as getting schooling done and I'll be having a second deployment coming up in 2016.

Thanks once again for the advice, and I understand that even if I make all this happen I could still get DQ'd in a heartbeat, but I believe it's still worth a shot if it means there's even a tiny chance I could fly for the Army someday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a little late but better late then never....

I had to get a similar waiver for my flight physical. After deployment I had some anger issues so I self referred to Anger Management and they "diagnosed" me with "Adjustment Disorder". I didn't even know until I was in the middle of my physical. I had to go see an Aeromedial Psychologist and do a 1 hour session with them. They recommended to Army Aeromedical Center that I recieve a waiver as it was only a brief period and I self referred. They sent that in with my physical and it got stamped.

Hope this helps and gives you a little more motivation to keep going.