Do you like to fly at night?

Astro

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to fly at night?

• yes
    • no

Inspired by the recent thread, Do you like to fly alone?

I've been flying recreationally a lot these days and I must say, after a recent day flight I'm reminded of why I prefer to fly at night.

1. The glare of the Sun off of the haze made visibility crappy.

2. It was a lot more crowded (not just at the airport, but flying around the area too...frickin' low flying banner towers!).

3. Had to stay on with ATC practically the whole time (because it was so crowded)

4. Sky divers, why do they always pick crowded airspace to jump into?

5. Couldn't see my GPS worth a damn with my shades on.

6. Sweating during startup and shutdown.

Its basically the complete opposite when I fly at night! Should have waited until sunset...next time definitely!

So how about you?

• Like 1

I like nights because so often the air is so perfectly smooth.

I don't like nights because I always hear sounds that I don't hear during the day.

I like it that night recency counts for day recency.

I don't like nights in the middle of summer. You have to wait all night for it to be night.

edit punc.

Edited by aeroscout

I like nights for the same reasons the OP mentioned and:

Smoother, no thermals; and vis with NVGs is way, way better than any unaided day or night vis. Everything has the same uniform lighting intensity and detail level, even if it's too far away to be discerned unaided (if it's lit). When I come over the Blue Ridge I can see Atlanta 60 miles away and traffic at KATL. I watched lightning in the tops of thunderstorm 250 miles away, offshore of Savannah one night. Nurse counted almost a hundred shooting stars on a one hour flight, I only saw a couple dozen, busy scanning for traffic and navigating.

Of course, the NVGs are heavy and stick out from your helmet, and everything is green...

What I don't like is the swap in the middle of the hitch with the 24 hour break between days and nights. Then, I spend my 1st day off zombied from lack of sleep.

Only night time I have so far was a night cross country. It was really freaking awesome though. However flying back and only seeing blackness and knowing that there are mountains surrounding you is kinda freaky for a student pilot.

What Flying Pig said. Mountains get bigger without sunlight pressing them down.

• Like 2

Yup. Temps are better, air is settled. After the first two hours of official dark, most other Army helicopters are gone, so I can enjoy 5 or 6 hours of NVG flying to myself.

Field grade night.

• Like 1

If you are flying at night and looking at a light in the distance..... and the light disappears, its because there is a mountain between you and the light you were watching!

Or you closed your eyes.....

• Like 1

My favorites are the night into day flights. Just when you start getting tired the sun comes up.

I hate the inverse of that, dusk into night. Do you start with the NVG's on your helmet and up, NVG's around your neck but battery pack pulling your head rearward or do you land and take 5 minutes to goggle up when it gets dark? I usually go with NVG's mounted and flipped up if it will be dark in 45 minutes or less.

• Like 1

With a two cockpit crew it's just a matter of waiting until it's time to put them on and then handing over the controls. But if we're going to be busy then putting them on and flipping them up is the easiest way. Usually I do that during refuel if I know I will be flying into goggle time.

Flights as the sun sets or rises are my favorite times of all flying, for the light. Visual detail and color, especially if there's cultural lighting. Unless I'm landing into the sun, that is. Dusk is better, I start goggles up and get the full benefit, while the best part of dawn is often spent seeing green before I'll remember to flip up.

It's been so long since I flew unaided that what I enjoy about that didn't even occur to me to post...

• Like 1