Suited for the GOM?

actuator

Hi,

Canadian pilot here. Just wondering what my chances of getting on in the GOM would be. I will apply with 1500hrs, all utility turbine time. 700 hours longline time with mostly experience in the oil and gas industry.

Planning on moving to the USA (US citizen), and would like to go off-shore. What I am wondering is if the companies in the Gulf will consider someone that has mostly bush experience. Not sure if they would look favorably on my experience or not. Sort of a different background coming from the north. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

PHI's minimum hiring qualifications are 1500PIC and all your part 135 requirements met As long as you have that you qualify. they have no turbine requirement. Having your ATP will help a lot. All the pilots I know who were hired with no turbine time had their ATP. If you have any 407 time that might help since thats what you will start in. I can't say that your chances of getting hired are GREAT but its possible. The fact that all of your time is turbine may help, your oil and gas experience will probably be a greater help though, even if it wasn't offshore. But I don't work in the offshore industry yet so take my insights with a grain of salt.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Why are you switching from Canadian work to the oil fields?

Hi,

Canadian pilot here. Just wondering what my chances of getting on in the GOM would be. I will apply with 1500hrs, all utility turbine time. 700 hours longline time with mostly experience in the oil and gas industry.

Planning on moving to the USA (US citizen), and would like to go off-shore. What I am wondering is if the companies in the Gulf will consider someone that has mostly bush experience. Not sure if they would look favorably on my experience or not. Sort of a different background coming from the north. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't worked in the Gulf in the last 20 years. When I started there 32 years ago, there were 10 pilots being interviewed that day. Three were offered/accepted starting dates.

There is a certain amount of competition involved, so 'meeting the minimums' is only the starting point. There could well be sufficient hireable pilots with much more experience at the point you start the process, which would mean you'd be towards the bottom of the list.

A positive, professional, optimistic attitude seemed very important. Potential employers can be fairly confident that prospective pilots can fly, they want someone who fits the company culture.

Thanks for the replies, since the posting I spoke with some GOM companies at the heli-expo and with the downturn in oil prices, they mentioned that they are not hiring. Hence, I will be continuing with utility work for the time being.

Kojack - my current work schedule keeps me from my family most of the year, and is very unreliable, I wanted to work the GOM for a set schedule.

Wally - thanks for taking the time to respond. I believe your post applies to all facets of the industry!

• Like 1

Actuator- oh alright good to know. Some time from now I may find myself in your shoes. Good to hear from those already in this field. Best of luck to ya

Phi never stops hiring. They just slow down their hiring to maybe 2 a month as opposed to say 8 a month. apply with them and persistence is key. It may take 8 months of calling but its worth it. They like you to meet atp requirements. Specifically fhe night because they can get you the rest during normal work. Atp written helps also.

• 1 month later...

All good points. Nobody has mentioned one thing: where you live.

An applicant, any applicant, represents $$$ training costs. It's expensive to train people. Any employer has to hope... that you stay. At my interview at PHI, some 11 years ago, I was asked where I intended to live. As it happened, I lived in Arizona, but I was already on the prowl for a house in Louisiana or Texas. I made no secret of the fact that I was looking to move down, and make a commitment. Which, once hired, I did. PHI paid 100% for the move!

What impact that had on the hiring process, I don't know. But I'm sure, in retrospect, it didn't hurt.

The turnover is high, high, high. People who make a commitment, and move on down, have got to be seen as more likely... to stay the course.

Other thing I would say: don't buy in Louisiana. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought in East Texas from the git go. Much nicer.

PHI is an excellent company to work for. The company culture is seriously "Destination Zero". No accidents. A lot of us have a fierce loyalty to PHI. Through thick and thin.

Glad to be here, and we bottom-of-the-totem-pole grunts hope... it shows.

Good luck with your endeavors.

:D

Edited by Francis Meyrick
  • Like 4