Flight training with passanger in the back

cfi2910

School policy will primarily dictate this.

Outside of 61.89 for student pilots (because student pilots can not act as PiC of an aircraft carrying a passenger), if you're at least a private pilot and building time for a rating, you shouldn't run into any problems taking passengers. Just make sure you're certified to act as Pilot In Command (at least a Private license), and you are the one paying more than 50% of the cost of the flight (pro rata share!).

Commercial and Instrument training are perfect times to take passengers in the aircraft with you, so long as you abide by the FARs and school policy. School policy may also dictate that no passengers will be carried in the aircraft should the CFI and student be performing emergency procedure training.

Other than that, you should be in the clear.

• Like 2

The best recipes for an answer is to ask your school chief pilot and see where their allowance is based...might learn why they do or do not allow it.

One question: Is it allowed by the FAA to have passanger in the back seat during flight training. I didn´t find anything in the FAA after a quick look.

Thanks

FAA does not prohibit it… Company policy may, or may not, allow it….. I’ve sat in back for many-of-rides to include 135 rides and EP’s refreshers……

Pax are allowed unless as stated above the school doesn't allow it. Even as a privrate student you're not acting as pic unless you're solo. So if you have an instructor, it's legit. The school I taught at liked to fill the helicopter up with people(usually other students) to show how it responded differently heavy vs just 2 people (r44).

Each company does have a right to review and limit exposure as they see fit for liabiity conserns...be careful which bridge you burn in this small industry....the next one might also use them...

• Like 1

Pax are allowed unless as stated above the school doesn't allow it. Even as a privrate student you're not acting as pic unless you're solo. So if you have an instructor, it's legit. The school I taught at liked to fill the helicopter up with people(usually other students) to show how it responded differently heavy vs just 2 people (r44).

All my flying since CFI days have been keeping it working at its max for productivity. I so agree with putting extra people in once the student is good and dependable it's nice for them to see how it changes when it's heavy. I don't know of too many jobs where you will be light!