Opinions on working as a pilot for Tours companies

coptermedic

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience working for any of the bigger tour companies? (Papillon, Maverick, Sundance, Era or TEMSCO)

I'm curious about work Environment, Quality of leadership and support, Comradery, Safety, Equipment, Pay, Living environment for those woking for TEMSCO or other remote bases, and Training.

Is there one company that is better than another for any reason?

Would you work for them again?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I doubt you will get anyone with much experience at more than one of those companies, and thus being able to make a comparison about one being better than another is probably going to be a very subjective matter for most people. I have enjoyed working for companies that others hated, and vice-versa.

My best advice to you is to apply everywhere, go to any interviews you get, and have intelligent questions for them when you go. Remember that you are also interviewing them. If you get a job offer, but had a bad vibe about the company, maybe you shouldn't work there.

Or maybe you should just take what you get offered since you may not get another.

• Like 1

While climbing up through the ranks, I’ve never thought I could be selective about the working conditions. I simply took what I could get. Once hired, if I didn’t like the “vibe”, as previously mentioned, I just bit the bullet until something better came along. With that said, maybe you should consider where you want to be in 5 years when you leave the tour sector (if that’s what you want to do). Living in Alaska is very different from living in Nevada or Arizona…. Likewise with the flying environment and networking potential. Think about the “big-picture”. Plus, if EMS is something you’re targeting for your future, only one of these operators may offer assistance with that endeavor. Conversely, if utility is a goal, only a couple of the 5 can offer that kind of further opportunities…..

Edited by Spike
  • Like 3

Ahhh good points...my advise is consider if they will pay you to fly, and if they do, can you log some experience as it comes while being paid to fly. Every flight adds to our stick skills, and every flight is another hour paid doing something we love...feed the passion, feed the belly...thats my motto.

Then after you consider that...where you want to go, should decide whom you choose to network with!! :)

Edited by WolftalonID
  • Like 2

I worked for Sundance a few years back. It was an awesome experience. Things have changed a lot there in the last year or two….new owners and management. It's highly competitive to get a job out there. I'm assuming you have somewhere around 1000 hrs pic. If you applied at every operator and got more than one offer, I would be shocked. Nothing against you but having been there I know how tough it is for one operator to offer you a job let alone getting to pick. Good luck, it's a great place to build time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something to consider is that any Alaska job is seasonal, April-Sept. You may fly 100-200hrs a season depending on weather and then you will be unemployed for the winter, or at least looking for work again come Fall, but AK also may lead to contract work and long line training if you return for more seasons. Vegas jobs are full time on a 5/2 schedule, you will fly nonstop, easily 800hrs/year. Just wanted to mention it in case you weren't sure or are trying to decide where to focus your energy or have any sort of timeframe in mind. Either way, both will be accepting resumes now. Good luck!

• Like 2