Inspections

Spectre

That's a loaded question and one without a simple answer.

First, you should know that a 100 hour inspection and an annual inspection are the same, except for the qualification of the party signing it off. An A&P mechanic may sign off the 100 hour, but must hold an Inspection Authorization to sign off the annual. Otherwise, insofar as content and the scope of the inspection, they are the same.

The inspection itself is separate from any work that must be performed. In other words, additional labor to correct discrepancies will vary the time necessary to complete the "annual," though the inspection itself is fairly straight forward. That said, the condition of the aircraft may necessitate additional time and effort associated with the inspection, which includes not only a physical examination of the aircraft, but a thorough records check for compliance with existing airworthiness directives (and generally other pertinent manufacturers bulletins).

When you say "by the book," to which book do you refer?

• Like 1

I'm sure he is talking about the "labor guide book". The one that details man/hours for a given job so shops can quote their customers a price. I have no idea on the 500... I work on the 300's and there is one available but I don't have a copy of it... I'm sure the service centers have it. It is available from the manufacturer...

With a crew it's possible to slam one out in a night (hundred hour, annual, etc; a 600 hour takes more time as more disassembly is involved, oil change, etc.

The practical application of what's involved, especially given the substantial number of AD's on the 500 series, is different than a canned guide book. Especially for a first annual for a new owner. The cost and the time involved invariably exceeds the expectations of the owner.

I also work on and fly the 300, and it is pretty much a maintenance hound, unlike the 500. To say the annual and 100 hour inspections are the same? Maybe for single engine piston airplanes, but not for most helicopters, just a quick glance thru the maintenance manual will prove that.

Many are of the impression that a 100 hour inspection is somehow a lesser inspection that does not entail or include the scope of an annual inspection. This is not true. It's the same inspection, the difference being the authority to sign off the inspection.

14 CFR 43, Appendix D, spells out the scope and detail of the 100 hour and annual inspection. There are not separate assignments to the annual and 100 hour inspections; the same requirements apply to both. The 100 hour inspection must be to the same standard and is done with the same scope and detail, indeed the same regulatory reference, cited below. Note that Appendix D addresses hour and annual inspections together in the same standard.

65.85 establishes the privilege of performing a 100 hour inspection for the holder of a mechanic certificate with an airframe rating, and 65.87 does the same for the holder of a powerplant rating. An A&P mechanic may not perform an annual, however, unless he or she holds an Inspection Authorization, the privilege of which is cited in 65.95.

The requirement for annual and 100 hour inspections is found in 14 CFR 91.409.

§91.409 Inspections.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph © of this section, no person may operate an aircraft unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months, it has had—

(1) An annual inspection in accordance with part 43 of this chapter and has been approved for return to service by a person authorized by §43.7 of this chapter; or

(2) An inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter.

No inspection performed under paragraph ( b ) of this section may be substituted for any inspection required by this paragraph unless it is performed by a person authorized to perform annual inspections and is entered as an “annual” inspection in the required maintenance records.

( b ) Except as provided in paragraph © of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service.

Appendix D to Part 43—Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections

(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

( b ) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the fuselage and hull group:

(1) Fabric and skin—for deterioration, distortion, other evidence of failure, and defective or insecure attachment of fittings.

(2) Systems and components—for improper installation, apparent defects, and unsatisfactory operation.

(3) Envelope, gas bags, ballast tanks, and related parts—for poor condition.

© Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the cabin and cockpit group:

(1) Generally—for uncleanliness and loose equipment that might foul the controls.

(2) Seats and safety belts—for poor condition and apparent defects.

(3) Windows and windshields—for deterioration and breakage.

(4) Instruments—for poor condition, mounting, marking, and (where practicable) improper operation.

(5) Flight and engine controls—for improper installation and improper operation.

(6) Batteries—for improper installation and improper charge.

(7) All systems—for improper installation, poor general condition, apparent and obvious defects, and insecurity of attachment.

(d) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) components of the engine and nacelle group as follows:

(1) Engine section—for visual evidence of excessive oil, fuel, or hydraulic leaks, and sources of such leaks.

(2) Studs and nuts—for improper torquing and obvious defects.

(3) Internal engine—for cylinder compression and for metal particles or foreign matter on screens and sump drain plugs. If there is weak cylinder compression, for improper internal condition and improper internal tolerances.

(4) Engine mount—for cracks, looseness of mounting, and looseness of engine to mount.

(5) Flexible vibration dampeners—for poor condition and deterioration.

(6) Engine controls—for defects, improper travel, and improper safetying.

(7) Lines, hoses, and clamps—for leaks, improper condition and looseness.

(8) Exhaust stacks—for cracks, defects, and improper attachment.

(9) Accessories—for apparent defects in security of mounting.

(10) All systems—for improper installation, poor general condition, defects, and insecure attachment.

(11) Cowling—for cracks, and defects.

(e) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the landing gear group:

(1) All units—for poor condition and insecurity of attachment.

(2) Shock absorbing devices—for improper oleo fluid level.

(3) Linkages, trusses, and members—for undue or excessive wear fatigue, and distortion.

(4) Retracting and locking mechanism—for improper operation.

(5) Hydraulic lines—for leakage.

(6) Electrical system—for chafing and improper operation of switches.

(7) Wheels—for cracks, defects, and condition of bearings.

(8) Tires—for wear and cuts.

(9) Brakes—for improper adjustment.

(10) Floats and skis—for insecure attachment and obvious or apparent defects.

(f) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) all components of the wing and center section assembly for poor general condition, fabric or skin deterioration, distortion, evidence of failure, and insecurity of attachment.

(g) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) all components and systems that make up the complete empennage assembly for poor general condition, fabric or skin deterioration, distortion, evidence of failure, insecure attachment, improper component installation, and improper component operation.

(h) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the propeller group:

(1) Propeller assembly—for cracks, nicks, binds, and oil leakage.

(2) Bolts—for improper torquing and lack of safetying.

(3) Anti-icing devices—for improper operations and obvious defects.

(4) Control mechanisms—for improper operation, insecure mounting, and restricted travel.

(i) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the radio group:

(1) Radio and electronic equipment—for improper installation and insecure mounting.

(2) Wiring and conduits—for improper routing, insecure mounting, and obvious defects.

(3) Bonding and shielding—for improper installation and poor condition.

(4) Antenna including trailing antenna—for poor condition, insecure mounting, and improper operation.

(j) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) each installed miscellaneous item that is not otherwise covered by this listing for improper installation and improper operation.

§65.85 Airframe rating; additional privileges.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph ( b ) of this section, a certificated mechanic with an airframe rating may approve and return to service an airframe, or any related part or appliance, after he has performed, supervised, or inspected its maintenance or alteration (excluding major repairs and major alterations). In addition, he may perform the 100-hour inspection required by part 91 of this chapter on an airframe, or any related part or appliance, and approve and return it to service.§65.95 Inspection authorization: Privileges and limitations.

§65.87 Powerplant rating; additional privileges.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph ( b ) of this section, a certificated mechanic with a powerplant rating may approve and return to service a powerplant or propeller or any related part or appliance, after he has performed, supervised, or inspected its maintenance or alteration (excluding major repairs and major alterations). In addition, he may perform the 100-hour inspection required by part 91 of this chapter on a powerplant or propeller, or any part thereof, and approve and return it to service.

§65.95 Inspection authorization: Privileges and limitations.

(a) The holder of an inspection authorization may—

(2) Perform an annual, or perform or supervise a progressive inspection according to §§43.13 and 43.15 of this chapter.

Edited by avbug

To say the annual and 100 hour inspections are the same? Maybe for single engine piston airplanes, but not for most helicopters, just a quick glance thru the maintenance manual will prove that.

The inspection items are the same for both annual and 100 on the MD

Pagesfromcsp-hmi-2_i0r46p-2_zps25d357dd.

Edited by iChris

one thing i see on just about every inspection checklist that i completely disagree with is: "thoroughly clean aircraft and engine prior to start of inspection". This will wash away any evidence of a potential problem area, ie: oil leaks, smoking rivets, etc,,,,,,,,,

one thing i see on just about every inspection checklist that i completely disagree with is: "thoroughly clean aircraft and engine prior to start of inspection". This will wash away any evidence of a potential problem area, ie: oil leaks, smoking rivets, etc,,,,,,,,,

If you disagree with the legal requirement, then petition the FAA to change it. Until then, if you want to exercise the privilege of the certificate, you will need to comply with the regulation.

If you see signs of working rivets or leaks, these should be noted BEFORE washing the aircraft and engine. (This isn't really rocket science)

Then wash the aircraft. See how that works?

Often washing a powerplant is necessary to identify the source of a bleed air, oil, or fuel leak, in order to more accurately determine the cause; wash, then run.

Running the engine is also a requirement of the inspection.

http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/aircraft-inspections.html

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=2f0dce88b6654b6bbb86c1e082a347ec&node=ap14.1.43_117.d&rgn=div9

Appendix D to Part 43—Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections

(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

Edited by avbug

My mechanics inspect the aircraft prior to any washing. Once they are complete, the pilots wash and detail the aircraft before the tear down starts. If there were any concerns during the first look, well wash it and I may run it or fly it at their direction if they need to determine a problem location that is now more identifiable because it's clean. Leaking oil or fluids, etc.

The mechanics inspect the helicopters just about everyday where I am so not much sneaks up on them. But then again we aren't a service facility where the may see aircraft for the first time.

Edited by Flying Pig

Thanks for all the replies. Yet the are all opinion and quoting regs. So is there any reader that truly knows what MD says these inspections should take?

I can't help with your original question but in my experience it will take twice as long and cost three times as much as it you think it should.

Thanks for all the replies. Yet the are all opinion and quoting regs. So is there any reader that truly knows what MD says these inspections should take?

Apparently you aren't interested in hearing from the mechanics.

You ask the question, but apparently don't actually listen.

i really hate to stoop this low,, but i remember when the avbug uses to "play me down" for being able to copy/paste the regs,, glad i taught you something bug !

and yes,, i still inspect b4 i wash,, turn me in?

You ask the question, but apparently don't actually listen.

Apparently its the other way around, he asked a specific question that you did not and obviously could not answer.

He asked how long, not what the criteria of a 100, 300 and annual inspection is.

A factory labor guide should give a figure for the inspection and any subsequent squawks would be extra not part of a inspection. In fact an annual can be performed by an IA, a list of discrepancies given to the owner, the squawks fixed by another mechanic and last but not least the mechanic can return it to service without it going back to the IA.

Can anybody tell me how many hours the book says it takes to do a 100hr, 300hr, and annual on a MD500 with a C-20? Thanks.

That information is not documented in the book, which I assume you mean, CSP-HMI-2 Handbook Of Maintenance Instruction, the maintenance manual, doesn’t address recommended labor hours.

However, it’s indirectly estimated in the scheduled maintenance labor per flight hour, 0.15 man-hours/flight hr.

You say it’s all opinions and quoting regulations, well that’s about the best you’ll get from this type of question.

From what I’ve seen, it avenges 14-20 man-hours. When I flew seismic I’d bring the MD500 in on Friday evening at the end of shift of a 100hr. (they normally started the work Saturday). It would be ready for pick up Sunday afternoon. The shop crew was usually a mechanic and his helper and sometimes two mechanics. If need be, they could complete the 100hr. in one day. However, we’re talking about guys supporting a fleet of aircraft doing inspections and maintenance everyday. They were well practiced on that model.

So, there you have it, another opinion. Give MD a call or email them and get back with us on MD’s opinion.

Field Service / Technical Support

Voice: (800) 388-3378

serviceengineering@mdhelicopters.com

Also, take a look at the inspection sheets at the links below and give us your opinion.

MD500 100−HOUR OR ANNUAL INSPECTION

300−HOUR INSPECTION

Edited by iChris

He asked how long, not what the criteria of a 100, 300 and annual inspection is.

This was addressed. Apparently you didn't read, either.

The amount of time required to complete the inspection depends on a number of factors, not the least of which includes the condition of the aircraft, the specific aircraft and pertinent AD's, the nature of record keeping of that specific aircraft, prior work done and its documentation, and the facilities and number of personnel performing the inspection.

Edited by avbug

i really hate to stoop this low,, but i remember when the avbug uses to "play me down" for being able to copy/paste the regs,, glad i taught you something bug !

and yes,, i still inspect b4 i wash,, turn me in?

I've been quoting regulations online for a long, long time. I quoted them as your post was wrong and because you didn't understand the nature of the annual and 100 hour relationship, and because you disputed what I said.

I quoted them again because you were also wrong regarding the requirement to wash the aircraft.

I don't think he was speaking disrespectfully of your opinion iChris, a lot of manufacturer's - like automobiles - have labor guides that say XX hours to perform this function.

That is what I believe he is trying to ask, not how fast it can be done or what it entails as Avbug seems to think( "how many hours the book say" now is where you call me a 14 year old girl because you can't read).

Based on iChris's .15/per hour data a bill may look like this -

15 hours - 100 hour inspection

XXhours - AD research and paperwork

XXhours - additional squawk repairs

_______

XX hours total bill

I understand the question and have performed the task(s)…. And, while I’ve never needed to look for the time allotment the manufacturer estimates for these inspections, I know they are estimated under the best of conditions. That is, the machine in a hangar with appropriate stands and required parts, tools special tools and current manuals within reach. Additionally, they usually state; performed by a mechanic with a basic level of knowledge and skill…. Yea right…..

Most employers know anytime they see these hourly estimations they’ll add a bunch of time if they’ve never done the task before and some time even if they have (depending on the task). If they do it within the allotted time, or less, -cool. However, boxing up parts for overhaul to include setting up and shipping said parts, finding a part number in the manual then in the parts room, ordering parts on the internet or over the phone, purchasing a special tool or manufacturing one on the fly, cleaning parts for inspection, cutting a finger then getting a Band-Aid and filling out an Hazard Report, explaining to the boss why the job isn’t done yet for the tenth time, etc, etc, all take time which these estimations do not account for…….

Edited by Spike

Most likely, he probably feels like he is being overcharged - which is why he asked for a book time.

I never looked for a time either, on average I bill out 14 hours for small helicopter inspections. Of course, everything else is extra, though I don't think I've ever billed a customer for the time spent putting band-aids on.