Just how badly do you want it?

eagle5

Watching some lame-ass "reality" show about hippies trying to stop the Japanese from whaling. Apparently the Japanese filed an injunction against the hippies, so now if they interfere they'll be in contempt of court and could face serious life changing legal penalties when they get home.

The first to leave was the chopper pilot!

So, if given the opportunity would you (and by you I obviously mean desperate low timers) take this flying gig, given the legal risk?

It’s doesn’t matter how bad anyone wants it. That job, volunteer or not, is definitely not for desperate low-timers and, pretty sure there are high-time experienced folks willing to offer their time and effort. Plus, more-then-likely, ya gotta be a mechanic as well…….

As suspected, for this season, the new pilot has (reportedly), 17K hours. An older guy, probably, retired and a fan of the show, or the endeavor……. This is why the position will never be filled by a "low-timer". That and the fact AP probably have contractual requirements due to; they obviously utilize the machine for B-roll……

Edited by Spike

Id like to see the wording on the order (translated to English). Not that it wouldnt be a concern but my question is the injunction even enforceable where the whaling is taking place? Where does the hippie boat and helicopter dock at the end of the day? Are they whaling in Japanese controlled waters? If the answer is no, then the order is useless as I doubt it has international enforcement. A restraining order issued in the US isnt enforceable in Canada or Mexico. Ultimately, nothing in the helicopter industry is worth going to jail for. Not that the "cause" wouldnt be something someone might be willing to go to jail for. But flying because you support the cause, and you support it by offering your flying abilities is much different than risking it because you need a job. That being said, I wouldnt fly for the hippies anyway.

Edited by Flying Pig

Ever here the saying, “helicopter pilots are a dime-a-dozen”? This ultimately means; if there is a cause, whatever the cause, you can find a pilot to do it. Legal or not. Chance of imprisonment, or not… Shoot, I worked for a company that had a machine stolen! Who flew it? Obviously a pilot who wasn’t worried about being jailed………