Suggestion from a Navy Guy

Wasn't sure if it was worth putting this in the Support forum or in here, but this is a suggestion from a frequent lurker if the mods are listening. Is there any way to split out the WOFT/Applicant Discussion out to a sub-forum?

I know I'm in the minority as a Navy dude, but I think other discussions get lost in the "noise", as it were.

• Like 2

Judging by the number of WOFT posts, the forum should be renamed as such, with a sub forum for military related posts if there were to be a change. I don't see a need really though, the forum is not "overactive" on new posts, considering the vast majority of views are centered on the same 2-3 threads. Nov. Board= 17k views, Jan Board 10k Views, Flying video's=15k. Even when threads die they still remain on the 1st page for a month if not more.

• Like 2

I'll add that I have nothing against the new guys, so please don't think that. I was one of them a few years ago, and completely hope they're successful. Places like this are great tools. Hell, I found out my Navy OCS board results were published on Air Warriors and called my recruiter to check for me.

However, this place spans the gap between civilian and military operators, and I could see someone with something to add being overwhelmed by a bunch of Board threads.

• Like 1

It's kind of annoying when you have a new thread for every board date, WOCS class, selection, check out my packet etc. They all become a little chat room and push the other content to the bottom. Having a WOFT sub-forum would solve this and still allow for all the useful meaty info to get put in there for the hopefuls without crowding up the main page with "how does my packet look?"

We have the forum for civilian training separated and most other military aviation boards do the same thing for hopeful selectees.

Thread after thread on WOFT questions doesn't lend much credibility to this section of the forum as a place to come for experienced aviators.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 2

I don't want the WOFT people to think that they aren't welcome or anything. They are.

Creep, honestly I'd probably visit the WOFT forum rarely. But honestly, nothing that any CW2, 3 or even 5 on the internet does, can help a hopefull candidate, other than LORs. For most of us, we are so disconnected from Rucker I have no idea what goes on there anymore, nor do i have any desire to know. It's the school house, you know?

Furthermore, the "what are my chances" forum is cool for you guys to compare, but none of us can really give any insight because at the end of the day, we don't sit on the board and many of us are trying to figure out our own chances on our own boards. The boards never stop.

The system for selection has always been designed that candidate has to endure the time consuming and vague instructions of the WOFT packet. I really think this is to weed out the candidates who really want it and have the metal fortitude to endure the frustration of the process.

Got off topic for a minute...

Not saying I don't want the WOFT guys and gals here, they are awesome and I appreciate their motivation and drive.

It'd be nice to see some of the other services in here though

Anybody know of some other military helicopter forums?

• Like 1

Most of the value that I have gotten from this forum was in the general forum and added to the things I learned on rec.aviation.rotorcraft back in the day when newsgroups were not spam repositories. I took a long break from here due to deployments and being frustrated with the "How do I stack up?" threads. I don't think that a separate forum will solve "the problem". As soon as the prospective candidates figure out that all of the experience is posting in the "other" forum, they will just post their questions there. After all, that is what attracts them; finding people who are doing, or have done, what they are trying to figure out how to get to do.

So, the moderators will spend an inordinate amount of time to one particular forum to evaluate each thread as to whether it stays or goes? Doubt it. The moderators would probably be more inclined to do a search to see how many times this same suggestion has been made on this site alone.

The inviolate truth of internet forums is that you can't please everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the moderators will spend an inordinate amount of time to one particular forum to evaluate each thread as to whether it stays or goes? Doubt it. The moderators would probably be more inclined to do a search to see how many times this same suggestion has been made on this site alone.

The inviolate truth of internet forums is that you can't please everyone.

Doesn't take a genius to see which posts need to go where, have you seen the forums lately?

• Like 2