Paying It Forward

Hello to all you fellow aviators or future aviators,

I'm sure a post has been made similar to this one, but I couldn't find it so I just started a new one. I just wanted to comment on how beneficial this site has been for me thus far throughout my Army aviation career.

I was a street to seat guy that got selected in Nov of 2012 shipped to basic in January 2013, WOCS class 13-13 and graduated flight school in Sept 2014 as a 60 driver. As you can see I've only been out of flight school a few months. I'm now stationed at Hunter AAF having a great time.

When I was putting my packet together, and especially through flight school, I checked this forum every day. Not only that, but I made some good friends through here and made some lasting connections. There is TONS of good info on here but just be sure to look because I guarantee if you have thought about it, someone has already asked it. I haven't been on here in some time so I figured I'd drop in and share some of my experiences.

If you're thinking about putting in a packet, the biggest thing you can do is not worry about what other people's stats are. I worried myself sick on what I had/didn't have compared to others and it was just a complete waste of energy. Stick to what you can control. Also, if you're worried about the Army downsizing and taking less people for flight school blah blah blah. As most people will tell you who have been selected, it was the exact same BS we heard so don't let it deter you.

I realize there are people on here with tons more experience than myself so I don't know what I could help with, but if I can please let me know. Good luck to all of you.

• Like 7

That's the same one I have when I started flying in september. I know Warrants go to a WOBC now.

This. BOLC is now different for Warrants. Like Craig said, it's now WOBC and its split up. You'll complete most of it in the original timeline (aka after WOCS and before SERE), but "aviation week" is now after the completion of your advanced airframe course.

This. BOLC is now different for Warrants. Like Craig said, it's now WOBC and its split up. You'll complete most of it in the original timeline (aka after WOCS and before SERE), but "aviation week" is now after the completion of your advanced airframe course.

It's funny when you say it's different now. That's the way it was in 06-07. It used to be split then they went to all at once and now it's split again.

They are always changing it up at Rucker.

• Like 1

That timeline is still pretty accurate. I think WOBC is a few weeks shorter than BOLC on that timeline. As stated, AD is only going to the UH60A/M and CH47F tracks (actually the CH47D track isn't even open anymore), and some 64 guys are getting the E model transition based on their duty stations.

I would say on average you can plan for 2-3 additional months of "down time" in between courses (total, not in between each course). Some have more, some have less. It depends on airframe and luck of the draw. I went to basic in May 2013, WOCS in August 2013, started IERW in March 2014, and I'm graduating the 60 course in March 2015. I have freinds I went to WOCS with that are already gone, and some that won't be gone until September of this year. I only had to wait 2 weeks for advanced track after selection, and I have friends that had to wait 4 or 5 months.

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 1