Bachelors in LE Aviation

Interesting....... but please, don't go out of your way to get a degree in LE Aviation thinking it will actually make a difference. All this is, is a Crim Justice degree and a pipeline for recruiting for their police academy and the UND flight program. If you are interested, sure, but its not going to lead to a job as an LE pilot. This statement clearly demonstrates they know NOTHING about LE aviation.

"It leads to careers as law enforcement pilots employed by local, state, and federal agencies such as the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, state/federal conservation offices, and state/county/local law enforcement agencies."

http://www1.crk.umn.edu/academics/agnatr/aviation/curriculum/index.html

Edited by Flying Pig

Most depts I've come across ask for 60 college credits....no degree or anything like that. Usually you get some credit from going through an academy which adds on to your existing credits making your promotable.....some food for thought if you wanted to take lots of electives and skip the boring stuff

60 is still pretty rare. 30 is the about the average if they require any at all for entry level. Usually once you start hitting Sgt and up, you'll need a bachelors vs just a bunch of credits. I'd really like to know what LE aviation specific information this degree Program offers. I'm looking at the course requirements and it's nothing more that a Crim Justice program.

Edited by Flying Pig

Program Requirements

Students must complete 40 upper division credits.

Aviation Program Requirements
Required courses - 29 credits
AVIA 1103 - Introduction to Aviation (4.0 cr)
AVIA 1104 - Introduction to Aviation Flight Lab (1.0 cr)
AVIA 1396 - Conventional Aircraft Operations (1.0 cr)
AVIA 2220 - Basic Attitude Instrument Flying (2.0 cr)
AVIA 2221 - Basic Attitude Instrument Flying Lab (1.0 cr)
AVIA 2222 - IFR Regulations and Procedures (2.0 cr)
AVIA 2223 - IFR Regulations and Procedures Flight Lab (1.0 cr)
AVIA 3320 - Airplane Aerodynamics (2.0 cr)
AVIA 3321 - Airplane Aerodynamics Flight lab (1.0 cr)
AVIA 3324 - Aircraft Systems and Instruments (3.0 cr)
AVIA 3396 - Advanced Conventional Aircraft Operations (1.0 cr)
COMM 3303 - Writing in Your Profession (3.0 cr)
NATR 3899 - Pre-Internship Seminar (0.5 cr)
NATR 3900 - Internship (0.5-4.0 cr)
NATR 3901 - Post-Internship Seminar (0.5 cr)
NATR 4652 - Seminar (1.0 cr)
SWM 3103 - Meteorology and Climatology (3.0 cr)

- See more at: http://www1.crk.umn.edu/academics/agnatr/aviation/curriculum/index.html#sthash.I6Yf9WtP.dpuf

That makes it the aviation degree, If I had the time to go away to college I'd probably look into it.....seems like one of the less boring degrees yu could pursue

https://webapps-prd.oit.umn.edu/pcas/viewCatalogSamplePlan.do?samplePlanId=24248&programID=335&programSeq=19861&campus=UMNCR

Edited by cryesis

Speaking as an outsider (though hopefully not for much longer...fingers crossed) to the LE aviation community, this degree sounds like the worst of all worlds.

I think aviation degrees are a bad idea, speaking generally. Flying jobs care about your hours, certificates, and experience, not an aviation degree.. An aviation degree just means you are limiting your employability in other fields, and aviation is a career path that is unstable enough to definitely warrant a solid back-up plan. A "law enforcement aviation" degree is even more (faux) specialized and would probably limit one even within the aviation field.

Having done a lot of looking, most aviation hires take guys who are already cops and don't need a "law enforcement aviation" degree, or (less often) guys with a lot of flight time, who also don't need that degree. All that degree gets someone to is the chance to keep working on being a pilot or being a cop, which one could've done without that degree.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that an LE aviation degree would be met with the same reaction by police as a college degree in "military science" would be in the military.

Your assumptions are correct. Im continually disappointed in the marketing arms of these schools. The one thing a person quickly learns about LE Aviation is that every unit is different. Unless you are going to make me a certified FLIR thermographer, an expert in the Aero Computers mapping system and also allow me to spend a year flying with an air unit as a TFO, the degree is worthless.

Id be embarrassed to say I was even a part of it. Id be happy to teach a course on LE aviation as part of a Crim Degree.... but I wouldnt take part in getting someone a degree in LE Aviation and be able to look at them with a straight face as I hand them a diploma.

Edited by Flying Pig

I think aviation degrees are a bad idea, speaking generally. Flying jobs care about your hours, certificates, and experience, not an aviation degree.. An aviation degree just means you are limiting your employability in other fields, and aviation is a career path that is unstable enough to definitely warrant a solid back-up plan. A "law enforcement aviation" degree is even more (faux) specialized and would probably limit one even within the aviation field.

This is correct……

IF I’m going to attend a collage aviation degree program, it would be for certification as an A&P. Otherwise, I’d be attempting to gain a bachelors or master’s degree in business……