utility

Mycontrols

Hello everyone. I'm a flight instructor who should be hitting my thousand hours around summer time so I'm looking towards next hiring season. Ultimately I would like to get into utility in medium aircraft and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to get there? I was thinking about going to Washington and applying to the two companies that use the old Sikorskys to get medium time next summer and then do another year of instruction. Would thirty or so hours in a Korean or Vietnam era helicopter help me get selected to make the transitions to Hueys and such with a utility operator? Also does anyone know of any companies in Alaska that will take someone from flight instruction with 1200-1500 hours for tours and transition them to utility other than Temsco? If you work for such a company and feel like talking about it I'd love a pm! Thanks in advance!

There's a utility company in Alaska that uses R44's called Pollux. I don't know anything about them, but I hear that it's surprisingly good money, but you have to sign a 3 year contract. After that you could easily transition to Temsco with the Alaska time or into a turbine utility operator with 3 years experience.

• Like 1

In my opinion…. I’d suggest going to the GOM. There, you’ll get time in light singles and maybe transition into a SIC spot in a medium. After that, you’d be way more marketable to a utility operator than attempting to go in with piston only time. Either that or, apply for a heavy SIC spot with the heavy operators…. In any case, just to give you an idea what you’re up against, I’ve been trying to get into a medium myself over the last few years and I have upteen thousands of hours and years of experience…… Next to getting your first flying job, transitioning into a medium is probably the most difficult thing one can do.......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Thank you all. I appreciate the input. I had thought about the Gulf of Mexico but if I go there I'll probably end staying because of the quality of the job. I know temsco will train people for utility if they stay for a few seasons and work their butts off, but I've heard of smaller operators doing essentially the same thing in Alaska. I'd be happy to work for temsco but I like to go into everything with a plan A,B,Cl and D. I also probably could have been clearer that I realize that turbine, utility, and mediums are all separate steps. Again thank you though and any other ideas are welcomed.