Selection today

I love these arguments: go here for more hours or I'm here and get this many hours.

The simple fact is, is that it depends on the aviator. I came to Carson and have flown my ass off. I've progresed to PC and am tracking IPC in less than a year and a half (first aviation assignment). I had to get a waiver for all of the hours required.

I consider myself extremely lucky...and I am. My peers are lucky to make minimums and many have not. I have flown 140hrs in the last two semi-annual periods.

My point being is that there is no fast track or secret to making PC or tracking. Its about timing and the individual. Granted I had a good amount of flight time prior to flight school, but I also a have a buddy in the same position as I am that had no flight time prior.

Really, as stated in the posts above, it comes down to the individual and really, just dumb luck.

• Like 1

I love these arguments: go here for more hours or I'm here and get this many hours.

The simple fact is, is that it depends on the aviator. I came to Carson and have flown my ass off. I've progresed to PC and am tracking IPC in less than a year and a half (first aviation assignment). I had to get a waiver for all of the hours required.

I consider myself extremely lucky...and I am. My peers are lucky to make minimums and many have not. I have flown 140hrs in the last two semi-annual periods.

My point being is that there is no fast track or secret to making PC or tracking. Its about timing and the individual. Granted I had a good amount of flight time prior to flight school, but I also a have a buddy in the same position as I am that had no flight time prior.

Really, as stated in the posts above, it comes down to the individual and really, just dumb luck.

Fortune favors the prepared, as a general rule in the army. Your experiences are not normal, I assure you; I hope you appreciate that fact and capitalize on it.

Someone who goes to a unit in reset where flight hours are so low that your minimums are going to be waived is not going to accrue many hours (yes, your commanders can waive your minimums to zero even if you're FAC 1). Going to a deploying unit or a unit that traditionally has surplus hours is the best way to pad your logbook. Whether you stay in the army for a career or get out after your ADSO you're going to want as many hours as possible. In the past, that hasn't always applied to RLO's who could have a great career and retire at O-6 with under 1000 hours.

Bottom line: help yourself and seek out a unit that has a generous flying hour program. Stay there as long as you can. Make friends with the guy who makes the flight schedule. Fly safe!

• Like 1

Bottom line: help yourself and seek out a unit that has a generous flying hour program.

Which units are those, aside from Korea? I've been sufficiently talked out of the TDA position at Yakima. I joined the Army to deploy, so that's not a good place right out of flight school. It just piqued my interest being a new unit and so close to home. It's difficult for us here in flight school to get any sort of information about the "best" units to put down with regard to those that have a generous flying hour program, deploying soon after our arrival, etc.

Which units are those, aside from Korea? I've been sufficiently talked out of the TDA position at Yakima. I joined the Army to deploy, so that's not a good place right out of flight school. It just piqued my interest being a new unit and so close to home. It's difficult for us here in flight school to get any sort of information about the "best" units to put down with regard to those that have a generous flying hour program, deploying soon after our arrival, etc.

Hawaii, Bragg, Campbell, 160th SOAR not exactly in that order.

• Like 1

Yakima's new? I thought they had a medevac there. Anyways, you want to avoid medevac units, not a ton of flight time normally.

Campbell's always a good choice but I actually got a ton of time at Irwin and it was fun flying. Sounds like Korea's a solid choice, I can't authenticate that personally.

• Like 1

Yakima's new? I thought they had a medevac there. Anyways, you want to avoid medevac units, not a ton of flight time normally.

Campbell's always a good choice but I actually got a ton of time at Irwin and it was fun flying. Sounds like Korea's a solid choice, I can't authenticate that personally.

It's new as in new for selecting out of flight school. It's a 72 unit now but they are going to 60s which is why it's available for selection.

Just had our selection brief today and there are several new duty stations for 60Ms. They are: Ft Polk, Ft Irwin, Yakima, Benning, and Rucker. We then went to a brief with the HRC lady who gives us our assignments and she told us these are going to become permanent duty stations (TDA). Some if not all of these are currently 72 units that will allbe going to 60M. It will be the medevac mission. The benefit to it is that since in essence they are brand new, you will not be competing with anyone for progression and will progress immediately. The flight time will be there. It is part of the Aviation Restructuring Initiative. I am curious as to your thoughts (current Army Aviators). I am considering Yakima in addition to two "normal" duty stations (JBLM and Hawaii). Currently Campbell, Germany, and Honduras are all not available (for 60Ms).

So if you don't mind, what were all the duty stations that were available? You listed some new ones and some unavailable ones, but what are all the possible duty stations for 60s right now?

As promised:

UH-60M

Bliss

Carson

Drum

Hood

Hunter AAF

Lewis

Bragg

Riley

Irwin/Polk**

Benning/Yakima**

Rucker

Alaska

Hawaii

Korea

** the new assignments mentioned earlier

CH-47F

Bliss

Bragg

Drum

Hood

Hunter AAF

Riley

Carson

Alaska

Hawaii

AH-64D

Bliss

Bragg

Carson

Drum

Hood

Hunter AAF

Lewis

Riley

Korea

This is from the latest selection brief that occurred last week.

• Like 6

I thought they were getting 60L's with no transition to Mikes anytime soon (At least for Irwin/Polk). Could be wrong but I thought thats what I got from branch brief last week.

That could be right, now I can't remember if she (the HRC lady) specified 60Ms or just said 60s.

That's awesome Lindsey I wonder if the admins could sticky that post. That question comes up a lot.

Unfortunately admins are pretty much nonexistent. That said, I may be getting pushed to the next class since I'm down and out with the flu right now. If so, I'll have the next class' options as well.

Any tips for WOBC? I report on 19 March.

Well I went through BOLC, so the new WOBC is a bit different. That said, my advice would be to take it seriously. Study hard for the tests--even though it may not seem that important now, WOBC still counts towards your OML fairly heavily. Scores in WOBC tend to differ a fair amount more from person to person than in actual flight school where the scores are incredibly close together. You're lucky. BOLC was twice as long as it needed to be (for the Warrants) with extra non-sensible stuff that they've eliminated with WOBC.

My overall advice for flight school is keep your eye on the next 25m target. It doesn't do you any good to worry about your checkride three weeks out if you've got two academic tests beforehand. Take everything one test and one day at a time (daily questions, 5s&9s, etc.). Once that is squared away then glance at the stuff coming up. Just don't let yourself get wrapped around the axle about the future. Flight school really isn't that difficult if you have sensible time management skills. Oh, and KEEP UP ON YOUR PT.

• Like 1