#21 Joe_P148

Joe_P148

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Company working for:None

Posted 06 February 2015 - 20:48

TDA out of flight school? I probably wouldnt do that, but who knows what the future will be. Come to Korea where the flight hours are free. Hahaha

I 2nd Scott on that. Whenever someone tells me about aviation restructuring and I'm going to get a ton of hours it instantly raises my bullshit flag.

TDA is cool but I'd be trying to go to a maneuver unit if I had to pick a duty station out of flight school.

#22 19DCAV_SCOUT

19DCAV_SCOUT

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 21:28

I am from Washington, and was stationed at JBLM from MAR 2009-DEC 2012, the only time we traveled to Yakima was when we had to do training. As a duty station Yakima wouldn't be my first choice

#23 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 21:47

Id pick a deploying unit or Korea. Something that will get you flight time. Flight hours are a serious problem in some units right now.

• Cantankerously and apacheguy like this

#24 movingtarget21

movingtarget21

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 22:29

Agreed, I'm in Korea and our flight hours are plentiful. So much so that we can't fly them all. Main constraint here is the weather/haze.
  • jwoft likes this

#25 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 23:35

Yellow Dust is awesome. Haha

#26 AW1985

AW1985

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:25

I love these arguments: go here for more hours or I'm here and get this many hours.

The simple fact is, is that it depends on the aviator. I came to Carson and have flown my ass off. I've progresed to PC and am tracking IPC in less than a year and a half (first aviation assignment). I had to get a waiver for all of the hours required.

I consider myself extremely lucky...and I am. My peers are lucky to make minimums and many have not. I have flown 140hrs in the last two semi-annual periods.

My point being is that there is no fast track or secret to making PC or tracking. Its about timing and the individual. Granted I had a good amount of flight time prior to flight school, but I also a have a buddy in the same position as I am that had no flight time prior.

Really, as stated in the posts above, it comes down to the individual and really, just dumb luck.
  • Joe_P148 likes this

#27 apacheguy

apacheguy

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:TH-67, OH-58A/A+/C, AH-1F, UH-1H, UH-72A, AH-64A/D

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:58

I love these arguments: go here for more hours or I'm here and get this many hours.

The simple fact is, is that it depends on the aviator. I came to Carson and have flown my ass off. I've progresed to PC and am tracking IPC in less than a year and a half (first aviation assignment). I had to get a waiver for all of the hours required.

I consider myself extremely lucky...and I am. My peers are lucky to make minimums and many have not. I have flown 140hrs in the last two semi-annual periods.

My point being is that there is no fast track or secret to making PC or tracking. Its about timing and the individual. Granted I had a good amount of flight time prior to flight school, but I also a have a buddy in the same position as I am that had no flight time prior.

Really, as stated in the posts above, it comes down to the individual and really, just dumb luck.

Fortune favors the prepared, as a general rule in the army.  Your experiences are not normal, I assure you;  I hope you appreciate that fact and capitalize on it. 

Someone who goes to a unit in reset where flight hours are so low that your minimums are going to be waived is not going to accrue many hours (yes, your commanders can waive your minimums to zero even if you're FAC 1).  Going to a deploying unit or a unit that traditionally has surplus hours is the best way to pad your logbook.  Whether you stay in the army for a career or get out after your ADSO you're going to want as many hours as possible.  In the past, that hasn't always applied to RLO's who could have a great career and retire at O-6 with under 1000 hours. 

Bottom line: help yourself and seek out a unit that has a generous flying hour program.  Stay there as long as you can.  Make friends with the guy who makes the flight schedule.  Fly safe!

• jwoft likes this

#28 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:03

Bottom line: help yourself and seek out a unit that has a generous flying hour program. 

Which units are those, aside from Korea? I've been sufficiently talked out of the TDA position at Yakima. I joined the Army to deploy, so that's not a good place right out of flight school. It just piqued my interest being a new unit and so close to home. It's difficult for us here in flight school to get any sort of information about the "best" units to put down with regard to those that have a generous flying hour program, deploying soon after our arrival, etc.

#29 Joe_P148

Joe_P148

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 13:31

Which units are those, aside from Korea? I've been sufficiently talked out of the TDA position at Yakima. I joined the Army to deploy, so that's not a good place right out of flight school. It just piqued my interest being a new unit and so close to home. It's difficult for us here in flight school to get any sort of information about the "best" units to put down with regard to those that have a generous flying hour program, deploying soon after our arrival, etc.

Hawaii, Bragg, Campbell, 160th SOAR not exactly in that order.
  • jwoft likes this

#30 apacheguy

apacheguy

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:TH-67, OH-58A/A+/C, AH-1F, UH-1H, UH-72A, AH-64A/D

Posted 07 February 2015 - 20:22

Yakima's new?  I thought they had a medevac there.  Anyways, you want to avoid medevac units, not a ton of flight time normally. 

Campbell's always a good choice but I actually got a ton of time at Irwin and it was fun flying.  Sounds like Korea's a solid choice, I can't authenticate that personally. 

• jwoft likes this

#31 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 21:35

Yakima's new?  I thought they had a medevac there.  Anyways, you want to avoid medevac units, not a ton of flight time normally. 

Campbell's always a good choice but I actually got a ton of time at Irwin and it was fun flying.  Sounds like Korea's a solid choice, I can't authenticate that personally. 

It's new as in new for selecting out of flight school. It's a 72 unit now but they are going to 60s which is why it's available for selection.

#32 Joe_P148

Joe_P148

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:25

It's new as in new for selecting out of flight school. It's a 72 unit now but they are going to 60s which is why it's available for selection.

I believe it's strictly medevac isn't it?

#33 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:41

I believe it's strictly medevac isn't it?

It is.

#34 cwil7280

cwil7280

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:44

Just had our selection brief today and there are several new duty stations for 60Ms. They are: Ft Polk, Ft Irwin, Yakima, Benning, and Rucker. We then went to a brief with the HRC lady who gives us our assignments and she told us these are going to become permanent duty stations (TDA). Some if not all of these are currently 72 units that will allbe going to 60M. It will be the medevac mission. The benefit to it is that since in essence they are brand new, you will not be competing with anyone for progression and will progress immediately. The flight time will be there. It is part of the Aviation Restructuring Initiative. I am curious as to your thoughts (current Army Aviators). I am considering Yakima in addition to two "normal" duty stations (JBLM and Hawaii). Currently Campbell, Germany, and Honduras are all not available (for 60Ms).

So if you don't mind, what were all the duty stations that were available? You listed some new ones and some unavailable ones, but what are all the possible duty stations for 60s right now?

"If you're not first, you're last." - Ricky Bobby

#35 Joepatriot

Joepatriot

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:08

I requested Bragg, Riley and Hawaii during selection back in October and should graduate the 60M course in May. God I hope I don't end up in a MED TDA. I'd do three years in Korea if it kept me out of that misery.
  • akscott60 likes this

#36 Joe_P148

Joe_P148

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:42

So if you don't mind, what were all the duty stations that were available? You listed some new ones and some unavailable ones, but what are all the possible duty stations for 60s right now?

http://www.hrc.army.mil

Go to officer, Aviation, then UH60 assignments desk.
  • cwil7280 likes this

#37 darkstarx87

darkstarx87

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:26

...several new duty stations for 60Ms. They are: Ft Polk, Ft Irwin, Yakima, Benning, and Rucker.

I thought they were getting 60L's with no transition to Mikes anytime soon (At least for Irwin/Polk). Could be wrong but I thought thats what I got from branch brief last week.

#38 AFmarksman

AFmarksman

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Company working for:B

Posted 08 February 2015 - 14:42

http://www.hrc.army.mil
Go to officer, Aviation, then UH60 assignments desk.

Is there any way for non-Army service members to view this info? I tried creating an AKO account but since I'm Air Force it says I need adult supervision (an Army sponsor).
"[Dothan] looks like a mix between Chernobyl and a Meth lab, crossed with the Cracker Barrel." -Jberto89

#39 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 15:39

Is there any way for non-Army service members to view this info? I tried creating an AKO account but since I'm Air Force it says I need adult supervision (an Army sponsor).

Call your local recruiter, should be able to sponser your AKO account no problem.
  • jwoft likes this

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#40 AFmarksman

AFmarksman

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Company working for:B

Posted 08 February 2015 - 16:11

Call your local recruiter, should be able to sponser your AKO account no problem.

I'll check around for one over here. Probably not a bad idea to have his or her info during the application process anyway.
"[Dothan] looks like a mix between Chernobyl and a Meth lab, crossed with the Cracker Barrel." -Jberto89

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Helmet FX Home 200Genesys VR Forum 200DevoreHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeMidwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016MaunaLoaVRHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200Home