Selection today

Seems like it is going to be. 159, 12th CAB, and even 2CAB look like they are getting the axe.

They would love to make Korea totally rotational. A huge number of units here already are.

That's a bummer, would there be any aviation units in Europe after that then? I thought that was the only one.

Almost went #2, but he gave it up for his stick buddy who used to crew 47s. In a twist of fate the #4 or 5 guy took it, who wasn't the aforementioned stick buddy.

That's funny. Reminds me of duty stations when I selected. We had one Carson slot and I was in a position to take it. My stick buddy pleaded with me not to take it so he could go there. He was from that area and wanted to go back. I ended up not picking it and somehow that slot got passed over by 5 others until he snagged it. Almost 15 yrs later and I still think he's living in Colorado.

Just sat in on my old class' selection. Intense is a huge understatement. Huge. The last warrant got forced into 64s.

Regular Officers: 0 Chinooks, 3 Apaches, 3 Blackhawks

Warrants: 0 Chinooks, 5 Apaches, 13 Blackhawks

• Like 1

Just sat in on my old class' selection. Intense is a huge understatement. Huge. The last warrant got forced into 64s.

Regular Officers: 0 Chinooks, 3 Apaches, 3 Blackhawks

Warrants: 0 Chinooks, 5 Apaches, 13 Blackhawks

This happened in my selection class back in November. The last 3 on the OML got stuck with 64s. Better than nothing I guess.

One of the most advanced attack helicopters in the world, better than nothing?!

Yeah, the guy that got stuck with the 64 was furious. And depressed. Probably just completely blindsided. But I mean come on. That reaction is ridiculous. You're still flying one of the most advanced (and with the E model, the most advanced?) helicopters in the world. Can you really be upset about that?

He was furious because he probably has heard horror stories of the "bag" it isn't that bad. The "E" is awesome for instruments with dual VOR nav radios, sorry M hawks.....seriously though all of us have our mission set, trust me the first time it's "real" all Army aviators put the BS harassment aside, you will all get along with your peers in a task force. Lift missions do not happen without gun support and without lift missions there are no guns.......

• Like 1

apacheguy.... sure if you say so.

Not trying to talk crap here but the fact is that we generally didn't have the time to wait when the troops really needed us in a pinch. When the apaches were there they were great for the support, but I would say that was about 20% of the time (not including the bag and trash missions) that we could have used them.

Blackhawks provide the med-chase (and therefore gun support) for most medevac missions because the apaches are simply too slow. When I was doing an air assault it was over about 75% of the time before the apaches arrived. When I was inserting rangers in the middle of the night we didn't even bother - we were flying too low and too fast for the apaches to make a difference. When I was flying down a valley and was called by a ground force commander to pick up troops in contact, there was no time to wait for the apaches. There are a heck of a lot more hawks than there are apaches. Sheer numbers will tell anyone that they are therefore not going to be able to cover all of the lift missions, even the ones that could use gun support.

I am not knocking the apaches. They are great. But to say that there is not a lift mission without the guns is a gross misrepresentation of reality. Hawks are quite often their own gun support, and the gun support for other hawks.

• Like 2

Ah, all the airframes are bad ass for what they do. I'm sure what IP was getting at was 60s can do a lot of missions CONUS and deployed without guns.

Scott has it right guys, If your the bottom of the OML, you need to check yourself, if your whining over 64s. We have experienced aviators getting the boot this year.

This goes hand in hand with what I was saying in another thread. Dudes think the Army owes you something. The Army owes you Jack. I hope you guys explain to this kid how good he has it.

Personally, I'd take a 64E transition and I'm sure there's a bunch of 58 guys who'd take it in a heartbeat.

• Like 4