Selection today

A question about West Point grads kind of relevant to this topic, what time of year do they usually enter flight training? And are they all Lieutenants, or can they opt to be Warrants?

I gotta laugh because so many posts on VR & this topic especially are based on people applying/students in the program reading tea leaves trying to figure out where they'll end up. And that's why I say this question is kind of relevant to this topic.. Im being presumptuous that if Im in a class heavy with young LT's from WP they're gonna be sh*t hot and wanna take the 64's 🙏🤞

1 hour ago, greyrider245 said:

A question about West Point grads kind of relevant to this topic, what time of year do they usually enter flight training? And are they all Lieutenants, or can they opt to be Warrants?

I gotta laugh because so many posts on VR & this topic especially are based on people applying/students in the program reading tea leaves trying to figure out where they'll end up. And that's why I say this question is kind of relevant to this topic.. Im being presumptuous that if Im in a class heavy with young LT's from WP they're gonna be sh*t hot and wanna take the 64's 🙏🤞

West Point grads are all Lieutenants. Their selections are just as varied as the rest of the students. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, greyrider245 said:

Their ability to fly and grasp aviation concepts will vary just as wildly as street to seaters.  Both ends of the spectrum exist on both the WO and O side.  Some people just have “it”, and some you will be terrified every time they hit the engine start switch.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, greyrider245 said:

Top person in my class was a Street to Seater and top 4 Warrants (with another Street to Seater in the mix) beat out all LTs collectively. Top LT was a Westpointer. Never know who's gonna be sh*t hot or hot sh*t. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Shibagod said:

Is each class size wildly different? Seems like the aircraft totals are all over the place.

It may have changed but years ago each class started as 20 students. If everyone made it to selection and no one was guard/reserve there were 20 aircraft. If you had 5 guard guys there were 15 aircraft for selection. Sometimes classes were combined for selection and there might be hold backs from other classes that were delayed medically or failed a pt test and didn't select with their class. There are always an exact number of aircraft matched to the number of students there that day. 

23 minutes ago, Shibagod said:

I tried using the search to narrow my answer down but couldn't find it through all the posts...

Would anyone mind explaining how selection works in regards to OML, Active Duty, NG/R, and RLOs?

From the selection powerpoint:

"Per USAACE policy, active duty officers and warrant officers select their advanced airframe based on the cumulative grades earned during the courses leading up to the completion of Common Core. USAACE G3 determines airframe MDS distributions. 

Compo 2/3 students are assigned aircraft by their owning state. 

MSC Students only fly HH-60s." (Aka 67J's)

So active duty competes against each other O vs O/WO Vs WO but not O vs WO. NG/USAR/67J all should already know their advanced airframes and not really a factor, but kinda a factor. BN gets the stats for projected Army needs a day ahead or so and then everyone (active duty) is racked and stacked based on OML which the breakdown of that can be found on teams also. 

This is my best interpretation of everything I've seen and told from people in the pit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eyrk said:

From the selection powerpoint:

"Per USAACE policy, active duty officers and warrant officers select their advanced airframe based on the cumulative grades earned during the courses leading up to the completion of Common Core. USAACE G3 determines airframe MDS distributions. 

Compo 2/3 students are assigned aircraft by their owning state. 

MSC Students only fly HH-60s." (Aka 67J's)

So active duty competes against each other O vs O/WO Vs WO but not O vs WO. NG/USAR/67J all should already know their advanced airframes and not really a factor, but kinda a factor. BN gets the stats for projected Army needs a day ahead or so and then everyone (active duty) is racked and stacked based on OML which the breakdown of that can be found on teams also. 

This is my best interpretation of everything I've seen and told from people in the pit. 

Perfect explanation friend. So with NG being slotted by their states ahead of time, is it accurate to say they don't "pull" from the list of airframes from the AD selection?

2 hours ago, Shibagod said:

Perfect explanation friend. So with NG being slotted by their states ahead of time, is it accurate to say they don't "pull" from the list of airframes from the AD selection?

Yeah basically from what I understand cause the active is by active needs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Seaturtle said:

Joined this board March 2018 and finally made it to selection.  

2 C12 (both to AD Warrants)

10 CH47 (mostly AD Warrants, only one guard and two or three RLOs I believe). 

16 AH64

26 UH60

Pretty wild spread if you ask me.

Just to verify the LTs had two Blackhawks and two Chinooks.