Selection today

18 hours ago, Lumin said:

That does sound like quite the life. How are the other communities to your knowledge - I'm having an extremely hard time deciding what I may want to fly if I am provided with choice. 

It'll come once you start to see what each of them do while you're at flight school. Also flying with different instructors of each airframe you'll kind of get the gist of how they do things. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drew8803 said:

SIX C-12s?!? Holy mother of god

Trust me, all of us in that theatre were shocked.  Very odd selection for sure. One of those apaches was a guard guy and a little over half of the blackhawks were guard as well just to give an idea of the number for active duty to actually choose from. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:51 AM, Hendo624 said:

Trust me, all of us in that theatre were shocked.  Very odd selection for sure. One of those apaches was a guard guy and a little over half of the blackhawks were guard as well just to give an idea of the number for active duty to actually choose from. 

What did you select?

2 hours ago, Hendo624 said:

I was lucky enough to get my first pick which was a UH60M. 

Congratulations! random question which seems like a really dumb question to ask. How much experience do you get on the other airframes before you get to pick. Is it just a basic overview or do you like actually get to get some hands on to decide what you might want?

12 hours ago, Lumin said:

Congratulations! random question which seems like a really dumb question to ask. How much experience do you get on the other airframes before you get to pick. Is it just a basic overview or do you like actually get to get some hands on to decide what you might want?

I appreciate it. As for experience with other airframes before selection, unfortunately you really don’t get any. You fly the Lakota for the 5 months of common core and then select your advanced airframe about a week later. I don’t know of any structured opportunities to go up in any of the advanced airframes to help decide which is kind of a bummer. You just have to make the decision based on your inquiries of other’s experiences and what you like best. I think they used to offer a long brief about each aircraft before selection to help give an idea of what you might like but they haven’t done that in a while as far as I know. Best advice I can give is consider the mission sets of each aircraft, what you’d enjoy doing, and what duty stations you’d like to go to. C12’s only have like 7 duty stations to choose from that you’ll just rotate through, 47’s and 64’s have 13 different places I believe and 60’s have 33 so that’s something to consider as well. I hope that answers your question and if you have any others, feel free to ask. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Jay3 said:

I’ve been following this forum for 8 years now and it’s finally my chance to post my selection day!

C-12: 3

CH-47: 1

AH-64: 16

UH-60: 35

Most 60 slots were guard. The 47 slot was guard. Two 12s went to WO. 

I went guns. 😃 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RouterRanger said:

Does anyone even want the C12? It looks like the 60's have the most numbers, and fortunately thats what I'd like to fly

Yes people do. Don’t get caught up in the numbers. Reality is the numbers reflect what the Army needs. Most of the classes including mine only had diversity due to NG or AR people getting the random handful of 47s. Most classes are filled with mostly 60s and 64s. Our class had 2 C-12s which went to the top 2 warrants all of the 47s were guard excluding 1 that went to a LT. I would say there is always a handful if not more people that want C-12s due to the lifestyle that comes with the airframe. If you want 60s, finish in the top half of your class and you’ll likely have that opportunity. Finish low and needs of the Army is what you get. 

So what's the point in even showing the airframes that are NG/AR (cuz those are guaranteed to them). I would like to fly anything but the Apache. lmao I will finish high in my class for sure :) Seems based on numbers that 60's cover 60% of the available airframes.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Thedude said:

The FARA will likely draw from AH crews not UH crews since the AH guys actually know how to fly that mission set. Would be a pretty cool to get to fly one but I plan to be retired by the time they are fielded. 

I want to fly the Defiant, not the scoutty boi or the raider. But who knows! I'm going to try anyway :)