FRASCA FT468Tampa Bay VR FT Forum 468Helicopter Academy
Photo
- - - - -

Advice for getting back in the industry?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 22:39

Hi All,

I did PPL, CPL, IR, CFI back in '04-'06 time frame and did a small amount of time as a CFI, then left the industry after the fallout from Those People. I did some turbine time in '10 until school and work picked up too much. I'd like to get back in the industry. Yes, I remember that it's pay to play and my finances are good for that. And I'll be reading through the forums to mine what knowledge I can. Anyone have any general advice? I'd like to do some time-building, but wonder how to go about it. I've seen several offers here. Should I stick with one? Or spread the wealth across a few different air frames and operators? What about going to school for Ag training? (Which would clearly be career-path and not time-building...) I'm not hire-able now and won't be for quite a while. Should I being going to Heli Expo? I'm in Phoenix, AZ if anyone would like to go for coffee. Thanks in advance. I'll get back to reading now.

• MiltonWig likes this

#2 Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors! Helicopters is my newest obsession. Love my motorcycles. Taking my family into the mountains whenever possible.
  • Company working for:School at Metropolitan State University of Denver

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:25

Is your CFI current?  I think your best bet is to get that renewed and start there.  I believe Guidance Aviation uses R66 for some of their training.  Maybe with a renewed CFI and your turbine time you will be a good candidate to work there.

#3 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:10

Nothings changed dude. If you have less than 1000 hrs get your cfii and teach, or go to boatpix. Either way, stick with the 22...again if you have less than 1000?

#4 HawaiiCFII

HawaiiCFII

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, skiing, motorcycles, scuba diving, and Ahhh-laaas-KUUHHHH!
  • Company working for:Temsco

Posted 03 March 2015 - 14:19

Get your credentials current to teach and fly, get your mind ready by getting into the books again, and do some more flying so that you have some recent experience and shake the rust off. After that you are just like all the other CFIs looking for work. Drive around, talk to people, try to get an interview. 

Prescott has some schools, LA has many schools that are busy, Florida is also popular, Pacific NW too

#5 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 03 March 2015 - 23:21

Hi All,

... I'd like to do some time-building, but wonder how to go about it. I've seen several offers here. Should I stick with one? Or spread the wealth across a few different air frames and operators? What about going to school for Ag training? ...

Time-building is a huge waste of, well,...time,...and money!

Employers don't care, and don't want to see, that you spent 50 or 100 hrs paying to do someone else's job, whether it be in a jet ranger, an enstrom, an r-44, etc...  They also don't care about any "specialized" training you paid for!  They want real world work experience plain and simple!,...and if you paid to do it, it isn't "real" commercial experience! 

At least that's the impression I've gotten from them when they look at my time-building exploits.

Welcome back

:)

#6 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 00:10

My CFI is current in the legal sense (online courses), but not in the practical sense. My IR is expired. I'm planning on time-building to rebuild my skills, not because I think any potential future employer would be impressed with it. I'm sure it won't take long for it to come back and be good enough, but good enough doesn't cut it. I wouldn't be interested in trying to teach at my current level. And with the time-building I'll also be working on renewing my IR and then working towards CFII. I'd like to get back into CFI work.

I apologize if this sounds like a gloat; it is not meant as such. I could burn enough hours in the sky in time-building to potentially skip CFI-land, but I think that would not make me as strong a pilot, nor do think potential employers would be impressed. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my thought. Besides, I kind of enjoyed teaching.

I haven't been able to get in contact with Guidance Aviation, but I'll keep after them. Squeaky wheel and all.

I didn't do things the right way when I was young and stupid. I didn't research right, I didn't have my finances right. Now that I'm less-young, I'm going to do it right.

/edit slightly less braggart. Sorry.

Edited by Hombre, 04 March 2015 - 13:12.

• Hombre likes this

#7 helifool

helifool

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:44

I was in a very similar situation as you were last year and decided to start with Boatpix.com. Was able to go from 350 hours and 5 years away from flying to almost 1000 hours and a job teaching and doing photography in a summer season. If you wanna know more or just chat pm me and we can exchange phone numbers. Good Luck!

#8 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 04 March 2015 - 17:12

If all you want to do is get back in the saddle and start teaching again, then just pick a school and sign up for some refresher lessons. 

:mellow:

#9 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 21:00

Hi All,

I did PPL, CPL, IR, CFI back in '04-'06 time frame and did a small amount of time as a CFI, then left the industry after the fallout from Those People. I did some turbine time in '10 until school and work picked up too much. I'd like to get back in the industry. Yes, I remember that it's pay to play and my finances are good for that. And I'll be reading through the forums to mine what knowledge I can. Anyone have any general advice? I'd like to do some time-building, but wonder how to go about it. I've seen several offers here. Should I stick with one? Or spread the wealth across a few different air frames and operators? What about going to school for Ag training? (Which would clearly be career-path and not time-building...) I'm not hire-able now and won't be for quite a while. Should I being going to Heli Expo? I'm in Phoenix, AZ if anyone would like to go for coffee. Thanks in advance. I'll get back to reading now.

If you are not geographically challenged (able to relocate), find a busy school to get current in the R22 and finish the double-I…. If you play your cards right and the planets align, maybe, just maybe, you’ll get a job offer when you finish……. Ergo, don’t waste your time with “time-building” junkets. If you’re going to spend cash to fly, make sure that cash is paying for “experience-building” opportunities and not just rotation of a Hobbs meter……..

Edited by Spike, 04 March 2015 - 21:00.

• Azhigher likes this

#10 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 20:00

If you can afford to rent and get your hours then by all means come on down to AZ, get your CFI and then take me out. You can practice teaching on me, I can fly a 22 for a bit, it's a win-win really.

Hell, I'll even endorse you to do your written test for hot air balloons and airships just as an added bonus!

#11 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 20:14

Well, I'm in east Mesa and I do have my CFI...

#12 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 20:22

Hey, same here! See, it was meant to be!

#13 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 22:09

An endorsement for a written test for an airship great!...now where to take the practical?

#14 Falko

Falko

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:52

Or hold on to your current well paying job and enjoy your life.
  • cryesis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200GuidanceVRFTForum200702HeliVRFT200VOLO_VRFT200JerryTrimbleLakeSuperior200FlightTrainingAnthelion_VRFTForum200Precision_FTForum200BLR FT 200UNDVRFTForum200