R22 Time Building in the NY/NJ/CT area?

Im not from your area, but your post did make me wonder what do you mean and how would it be done? The only way to split time is if one of us is a cfi, right? Do you have a place that rents in block hours at a greatly reduced rate but high initial cost that you want to split up?

Can you give me a couple more details on how this will work, Thanks

Hi Keitkalk,

How it was explained to me is this: one pilot is the flying pilot using a visual limiting device to simulate instrument flying while the other is the safety pilot. The safety pilot is the PIC for the flight and logs PIC time while the flying pilot logs PIC time because he/she is the sole manipulator of the controls. The safety pilot cannot log PIC x/c time this way, however, but the flying pilot can.

Further reading here -

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Learn-to-Fly/Aviation-Subject-Report-Logging-Pilot-in-Command-PIC-Time.aspx

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/sdl/local_more/avsafety_program/media/LOGGING%20PILOT-IN-COMMAND%20TIME.pdf

Im glad you referenced some links to show your plans as legitimate, but now im wondering why the hell no one seems to build time this way. Not that i should believe a message board before an article from aopa, but can anyone confirm this method as legit? If so, who wants to build some hours in california!?

It's a legit way to do it. If you do it that way, make sure you log the name of the safety pilot. 61.51( b )(1)(v)

Sources:

Look at the second scenario in this first letter.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2009/louis%20glenn%20-%20(2009)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf

All parts are pertinent to this one.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2009/gebhart%20-%20(2009)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf

Edited by ridethisbike

...but now im wondering why the hell no one seems to build time this way.

Because I can't tell which is more boring, flying under the hood, or just sitting there scanning for traffic?!

I think I'd rather pay to ferry...and I think everyone knows how I feel about pay to ferry flights!

At least with Boatpix the flying is fun!

Because I can't tell which is more boring, flying under the hood, or just sitting there scanning for traffic?!

I think I'd rather pay to ferry...and I think everyone knows how I feel about pay to ferry flights!

At least with Boatpix the flying is fun!

Fair point, but switching off on stick time vs. scanning for traffic/comms/flight management, the idea is to build some hours and experience for half the price.

I think what Tom is doing is great and you can build hours faster with him, but this is just another way to do it and I figured I'd see if there was anyone in the area.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey! I need to rack up some night/ifr time in a r22. PM me if you are interested

Night ifr? What a waste of a beautiful night!

Those gages get pretty dark!

,...now where'd I put that vomit bag?