Lightspeed Zulu 2 question

Hey guys. Leaning really heavily to ordering the Zulu 2 headset and am trying to decide whether or not to get the pig tail cord or straight cord version. All I've ever known has been the pig tail style and since this will be a decent size investment, I'm kinda hoping you more experienced pilots can share some insight about the pros and cons of each style.

I've done exhaustive research on the manufacturer of headset I want but am really just down to the style of cord at this point. Not having the luxury of trying the both in the cockpit I'd like to rely on a little tribal knowledge here.

I guess my main concern is the battery compartment involved with any Anr headset. I don't want it to be slapping me in the head with a pig tail or stuck under the collective with a straight cord.

I'll happily post a thorough review of the headset here after I get some time to check it out, but for now would just like get some feedback from previous experience. Thanks

• Like 1

I have the Zulu 1 with a coiled cord and the battery box does not bang me in the head or rattle about in any way in either the 22 or 44, simply attach it to the headset hanger via the alligator clip.

Having used headsets with both straight and coiled cords, I prefer coiled, because it takes up less space and doesn't dangle as much.

i have the zulu 2 coiled and i like it because it does not get in the way and its nice and neat. and like eagle said you can just hang the battery compartment from the hooks. I just loop part of my cord around the hook now instead of actually using the clip. the one downside is the flashing green light when it is on and that is only during night flights. i just take a piece of electrical tape and cover it for night flights. otherwise i really have no complaints about the headset and it works well.

I have both the Zulu 2 and Bose A20. I prefer the straight cord because the coiled seems to get tangled and twisted very easily. I also like how the A20 fits and feels over the Zulu. ANR in both is good, Bluetooth seems to be better quality in the A20 but it seems to drain the batteries more than in the Zulu. Hope that doesn't muddy the water too bad for you. LOL

I would go with the Bose A20.

Several years ago we were flying with the Bose A20's. We 'upgraded' to the Zulu Lightspeed headsets. The ANR in the Zulu did not appear to be as robust as the Bose in the helicopters. (I was flying both B-407's and KingAir C-90's at the time) Additionally, anytime the seal was broken on the Zulu's around your ear, while moving your head, etc, the ANR would cycle on-off driving you crazy. Zulu claimed it was due to 'faulty springs' on the top of the headsets and we had to send them back for replacement. This repair only slightly improved the issue, making it less frequent. It never solved the issue.

Additionally, in the KingAirs we flew with two pilots and would rotate seats. The mic boom on the Zulu would not rotate 180 degrees like the Bose. When you were sitting in the right seat of the airplane, with the mic jacks on the right side of the cock-pit, you had to have the cord draped across your lap. Just irritating....

After about 3 weeks we boxed the Zulu's up and sent them back for a refund and went back to our old Bose A20's headsets.

If you have not made the purchase yet, get the Bose!

• Like 1

I have had the same zulu since 2007. I like it, the ear seals split every once in a while and have to be replaced, but I still like it.

Unless something is changed (or there is a work around) I'm not sure if the bose allows streaming Bluetooth music. I use that more than anything else on my zulu.

I also agree with avbug... for high noise operations, nothing beats the David Clark passive headsets with the cep kit.

I'm not trying to derail the post, I just want to ask a quick question to those who wear CEPs. When you wear them, how long do you wear them at a time?

I tried wearing them while crop dusting in an R44 and after about 10hrs of having them in they really start hurting. After a few weeks of use my ears would actually bleed a little when pulling them out. I tried at least 4 different styles of plugs including custom molds. I ended up taking my helmet off and spraying with my Bose A20 on instead. At the end of a day of spraying with the headset, I was much more alert and less worn out overall. I found the headset much much quieter. I am starting to ramble, sorry, I am just curious about how long the average person who uses CEPs keeps them in?

Sorry to the OP!

I personally prefer the coiled cord in a helicopter headset and straight in an airplane. Another option would be the Telex Heli XT headset. I had on for over 5 years and love it. The noise canceling is close to the Bose at a fraction of the cost. In fact there is a seller on EBay that is selling new ones for $300.00.

Thanks for all the advice guys! As it turns out, I will have to go with the pig tail style regardless as that is the only style available for the Heli compatible version.

Some of you dudes recommended the Bose A20. I completely understand why. I've probably read every review and watched every video on the Internet and to be honest it seems to be divided into 2 camps. The A20 owners tell you Bose or nothing while the Zulu guys will do the same. From what I can tell, it really comes down to the size and shape of your melon. For some, the A20 may truly be more comfortable (and visa versa).

For me, it's greatly a matter of $. Through the Trade-Up-Program, I was able to order the Zulu 2's $400 cheaper than the A20's. That's a load of money to me.

If the A20's were vastly superior and the Zulus were junk, it would be a different matter entirely, but if it turns out that the A20's are a little better than the Zulus for my head..... I'm fine with that. I think either would a step up from what I'm using now.

I'll post a review once I get some time in with the headset.

To flemen202, I've always used the foam CEP standard size. I have several sets that I wash with hot water every few uses and replace them when they start to tear. When I was in the military they had me try some custom fit mold but I hated it. I now use a david clark headset with CEP connection and the foam inserts. Since getting out I've never been in a helicopter for 10 hrs straight but I never heard of anyone having their ears bleed. How far in you shoving those things!?

I didnt feel like it was excessively far, just far enough so they wouldnt fall out when I put my helmet on and as I moved my head around.

When I say it made them "bleed" I mean that after several long days (3+ ten hour days) they had created a blister or a soar inside that would seep a little and develop a scab. which then would break loose the next morning. Not fun!

To flemen202. I prefer using the triple-flange silicon CEP plugs small size on my DC headsets and Gallet helmet. Triple-flange comes in differing materials for comfort and durability. I used to fly a tankful of fuel at a time and took generous breaks. So no problems. I shopped around and found these sites:

http://www.earplugstore.com/roauprtrflti.html

http://www.mckayassociates.com.au/web-content/catalog/so-11essec.html

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_60_61

Rather than go with battery-powered ANR, I went with passive CEP Halo headset from Quiet Technologies. QT has a new foamy plug insert that looks interesting if you click around their spare parts pages. It is similar to Clarity Aloft, but cheaper.

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=12

Pilot USA BluLink Cell Phone to Aviation Headset Adapter makes an EXTERNAL BlueTooth adapter if you really must have that attached.

Fleman, I regularly where mine for 7-8 hrs at a stretch. After about 2 hrs the standard foam inserts feel like a nail is being driven in my ears. I also switched to the triple flange silicone plugs. You can lick them up from an stereo website for about $0.69/each. Super cheap and comfortable. I've never used the custom molded ones but have thought about it. So far the silicone cheapies work for me though.

• Like 1