Firstly thanks for your time.

I live in the northwest of Australia where its red,bloody beautiful at sunset and finding green grass makes you smile!

Without fail every day i spend time researching helicopters and licensing, this obsession has manifested itself to an addiction every since my trial introductory flight in an R22.

I dont want to "sell my bum on Burke street" to have a heli licence although pain is time related. im aware god and allah cant help so i have taken the step to pose the following questions:

(1). million dollar question-Is there a LAME out there that would be willing to help find a bargain chopper or give guidance towards selection criteria for a (2) seater. i have followed all the small helis sadly with all the different hourly components how does see the light.

I want a heli and with your pants on or not it is the greatest feeling. The heli will be used to take me to fishing,hunting spots as well as pretty waterholes to spend time alone with my wife.

(2) Employment as a heli pilot is a fantasy sadly here in Australia and the good schools tell you so! im finalising my ppl fixed wing(flight test) soon,ba decision made as i was advised it would be a cheaper option towards heli CPL.2nd time round as the first school went bust with my paid up tuition a failed first marriage along with steadfast fighting in the family court l retained full custody of my 2 kids and guess what-Life and time carried on.

So im 46yrs young and here in Australia a cruel blow i felt as CASA has recently released a recreational heli licence. l could have achieved at a lower cost my only want! A heli licence.

Anyway Hawaii seems the cheaper option for training whilst leaving some time for the aussie training market for compliance and as for the heli work I will keep trying to find a way.

To you whom have reached my taskset l hope you smile like I would every time you fly.

again thanks for your time and any thoughts or advice!

Have great days

daz

• Like 1

When I was instructing, one of my students was a New Zealander who claimed it was so much cheaper to train in the US that his budget allowed him to complete training and have a vacation here afterwards. Another of my students regularly bought aircraft state-side to export home, claiming that this also saved money. Both were smart and enterprising.

Working as a pilot has always been a fantasy for those starting out. It's heartening to hear a flight school that's honest about that. If you want to live a dream badly enough, you pursue it knowing it is a dream, and knowing that dreams come true very occasionally, it might happen for you. (Scarlett Johansson, are you reading this?)

Edited by Wally

Hourly rates for most helicopters in Australia are in line with Canada for the most part, in other words about twice the US rate (in local Dollars though). So $500 AUD for an R22 with instructor, $800 for an R44 etc.

The difference is due to the fact that instructors actually get paid a living wage down there, that wages for engineers are higher, and that parts are more expensive as they have to be imported. Cost of living is of course also much higher, not quite in line with median income.

Whether it is a good idea to train in Australia or the US or elsewhere depends on a lot of factors. If the intention is employment, then training in whichever country you are most likely to find that elusive first job is by far the best choice. The ability to obtain a work permit in the respective country is often the decisive factor here.

• 10 months later...

I'm planning a trip to Australia in the near future and have a few questions for VR helo pilots "down under". I'd love to get some training there and explore the country. Love the folks at Becker.

1) Is it possible to do a self-flying or guided tour of Australia in a helicopter (Robinsons)?

2) If so, what is the best way to do so? Who are the most reputable operators?

I'm primarily interested in exploring south Eastern Australia and the wine country.

THANKS!

Daz,

This is mainly a yank forum, you'll have better luck over on Bladeslapper which is more suited to the Aussie/enZed market.

The exchange rate isn't so good at the moment so cheaper hourly rates in the US might be negated by that. Also if you are going commercial in the US you'll have to work out the hoops and conversion costs to the CASA license, which again might negate any savings.

Good luck